Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread III

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

will since i am a little slow

what is different from the gfs ens and nam that makes these models both bullish but not 'agreeing" .

different mechanism....for getting qpf in here?

NAM might keying in on a different set of lifting mechanisms than most models...with its very high resolution. It might be the case of two extremes, and this is just speculation...but the NAM has such a high resolution that it might be keying on something smaller than the main batch of convection to bring this further NW...the GFS ensembles are low enough resolution that they generally might be missing the critical convection that has been mucking up this setup...so they all mostly agree with each other on a further NW track.

I'd be skeptical at believing them though. Who knows though, even other guidance came NW a bit, but just not nearly as much. I won't be surprised if SE areas do see some accumulating snow from the initial low, but likely in the 1-2" range.

NAM might keying in on a different set of lifting mechanisms than most models...with its very high resolution. It might be the case of two extremes, and this is just speculation...but the NAM has such a high resolution that it might be keying on something smaller than the main batch of convection to bring this further NW...the GFS ensembles are low enough resolution that they generally might be missing the critical convection that has been mucking up this setup...so they all mostly agree with each other on a further NW track.

I'd be skeptical at believing them though. Who knows though, even other guidance came NW a bit, but just not nearly as much. I won't be surprised if SE areas do see some accumulating snow from the initial low, but likely in the 1-2" range.

My guess is the nam starts backing off (maybe even completely) on the upcoming 06z run.

toss the f'n euro . lol sorry

where can i find gfs ens members

Yes we should toss the best model because it doesn't show what we like. GEFS always has a wide distribution of QPF that isn't reflective of what a CCB actually delivers in terms of precipitation; it's a tool to be used more for long-range forecasting and trends than for a synoptic analysis of a storm's cold sector.

not sure if this even makes sense...but i'm DISGUSTED by something....this;

low pressure looks like it is really going to town east of the NW bahamas tonite....pressures falling rapidly at bouy 41047 ....prob just enough to screw us on ccb and inv trough down the line ....good nite .

looks like just as flow along the coast is gonna get going sw-ne the biggest height falls off FLorida robs energy from the MA coast and shunts it eastward....perhaps i'm seeing things and perhaps robs moisture isn't the best terminology....perhaps that littLE POS East of florida is the ghost of 2010 screw jobs riding away with our 9'th inning comeback..

Why are you so worried about this storm? The only thing interesting is the inverted trough potential, and we know how difficult those are to predict. The main show is clearly going to miss OTS, regardless of what the NAM showed.

Yes we should toss the best model because it doesn't show what we like. GEFS always has a wide distribution of QPF that isn't reflective of what a CCB actually delivers in terms of precipitation; it's a tool to be used more for long-range forecasting and trends than for a synoptic analysis of a storm's cold sector.

Why are you so worried about this storm? The only thing interesting is the inverted trough potential, and we know how difficult those are to predict. The main show is clearly going to miss OTS, regardless of what the NAM showed.

1. was a joke .....your sarcasm meter is off

2. you speak like you KNOW what the outcome is.....that is a joke as well.

You all might as well go have a snack or something and come back in 45 minutes. :) If the NAM is full of it ...it should back off at 6Z.

I'm amusing myself listening to BBC radio 5 coverage of how 4 to 10 inches of snow has crippled an entire nation. :) 4 inches at Heathrow Airport as closed the airport through Sunday apparently.

Archived