• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December 19th-20 Storm Thread III

Baroclinic Zone

The question is, do we believe it? It seems the higher res meso models are decent ENE hits and the globals are pretty much OTS. With all of those 18z GEFS members NW of the 18z op I'd think the 00z GFS comes a bit NW. We shall see.

Yep.. that is the question of the hour.

My opinion is the 00z NAM is probably just going nuts, but the globals are missing some of the mesoscale stuff going on. 18z NAM might be reasonable compromise.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well through 24 none of them have more than a dusting. Either you were totally wrong about the 1-3 through 24 or you were projecting what you thought the model would show. It was pretty clear the s/w had trended stronger and sharper, but it's not going to snow in Dobbs Ferry so it probably won't snow on the Cape either.

Sorry I meant through 30....just had the wrong frame there. Apologies to Dendrite but it doesn't really matter because this storm is a no-go in my opinion. Since when do we use the NAM and RUC for synoptic forecasting against the higher scoring global models? I don't understand why I take so much crap in these threads; it's like saying it's not going to snow is a crime these days. People who call a spade a spade have become unwelcome on these boards as they continue to focus less on meteorology and more on weenieism.

I just got back in and saw the NAM...can't say im terribly shocked given the trend late this afternoon. But I also would not be surprised for one second if its blowing smoke up our azzes. We've seen it pull this crap before.

If the globals are still pretty much status quo tonight, then I'm probably not even going to pay attention to the NAM solution. I remember a few times its gotten our attention in the past couple winters this close in and failed and Ekster used to say something like "I almost considered deleting the NAM from my awips"

Yeah, I'm really on the fence with this; though as I discussed, I think I see why the NAM is doing this - unfortunately, it doesn't make it wrong. e-gads!

Also, the NAM coups about once ever 3 years it seems - perhaps it's time.

Yeah, I'm really on the fence with this; though as I discussed, I think I see why the NAM is doing this - unfortunately, it doesn't make it wrong. e-gads!

Can't remember the last one.

The SREFs and GEFS to the northwest were a red flag to me.

Sorry I meant through 30....just had the wrong frame there. Apologies to Dendrite but it doesn't really matter because this storm is a no-go in my opinion. Since when do we use the NAM and RUC for synoptic forecasting against the higher scoring global models? I don't understand why I take so much crap in these threads; it's like saying it's not going to snow is a crime these days. People who call a spade a spade have become unwelcome on these boards as they continue to focus less on meteorology and more on weenieism.

You still going with your dusting -1" call for the Cape from an hour ago based on the globals then?

If the globals are still pretty much status quo tonight, then I'm probably not even going to pay attention to the NAM solution. I remember a few times its gotten our attention in the past couple winters this close in and failed and Ekster used to say something like "I almost considered deleting the NAM from my awips"

i actually did it for a week out of protest. Lol

I can see why its trying to do it too....I think I mentioned multiple times over the past couple of days how the vortmax was taking quite a favorable track for SNE (you mentioned it in your thread too earlier today)...it normally would produce a nice event here without all that convective interference to the southeast really mucking up our baroclinic zone. The question is just how much of the convection is being overplayed on the models...its definitely there in reality, but the models could be going too nuts with feedback from it.

Given the lack of agreement from most of the other skilled guidance, I'm still inclined to say the NAM is bogus right now, but there's certainly reasons why it could be correct and still not done trending.

:lol:

I seem to recall that.

i just think that modeling on the scale of the nam is not the best thing this day and age...there are so

many things on the mesoscale that happen that are beyond the scope of the science at present day. It just makes for some pretty bad outcomes.

I just got back in and saw the NAM...can't say im terribly shocked given the trend late this afternoon. But I also would not be surprised for one second if its blowing smoke up our azzes. We've seen it pull this crap before.

True that the NAM often has one or two runs like this late in the game. I remember March 1-2, 2009, the 18z NAM the night before buried New England under widespread 1' to 2'. There was no agreement, and then the 00z run took it all away. But because it's happening within 24 hours, no one can help but consider it.

i just think that modeling on the scale of the nam is not the best thing this day and age...there are so

many things on the mesoscale that happen that are beyond the scope of the science at present day. It just makes for some pretty bad outcomes.

Not necessarily bad outcomes... just inaccurate ones. :snowman:

True that the NAM often has one or two runs like this late in the game. I remember March 1-2, 2009, the 18z NAM the night before buried New England under widespread 1' to 2'. There was no agreement, and then the 00z run took it all away. But because it's happening within 24 hours, no one can help but consider it.

That's what's got me glued right now. This is pegged to start tomorrow night.

Haha, I remember that one. NAM had 15'' of paste here while the GFS had nada. We all know how that one turned out.

Archived