Toothache
The Drought Tracker

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o  How could you not like the ocean??  :o

I live for waves and surfing... 

I don't like the stickiness of the salt water, the messiness of the sand, rough surf, the crowds and the $1,000 parking fees. I also don't like cold water and the beach/ocean swimming season is alot shorter for comfortable water temperatures, than our local rivers/lakes.

To each his own though as I am a mountain/skiing person and there are plenty of people that don't like those features.

150yd drives with an additional 150yd bounce/roll?

Usually the wrong fairway though.

GYX managed to squeeze out some precip in mid to late April, but still only 0.31" since the 15th. I mention golf often, but it is a good reference point seeing as much time as I spend there on my off days. Much of the back 9 and the outer portion of the front is basically a bog, and aside from the hazards there is no water seeping up through the grass as you would normally expect this time of year. Of course, we're also one good rainstorm from temporary water all over the place.

Concur with NCEP's mid-range forecast disco

"...SENSIBLE WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS...

IT REMAINS EVIDENT THAT BOTH CUTOFF H5 CIRCULATIONS WILL PLAY A

MAJOR ROLL IN PROVIDING THE PREVAILING SENSIBLE WEATHER CONDITIONS

ACROSS THE LOWER 48 THIS PERIOD. THIS WILL BE ESPECIALLY TRUE

ACROSS SRN APPALACHIA...THE PIEDMONT...UP THE MID ATLANTIC COAST

AND PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHEAST COAST LINE OF NEW ENGLAND AS THE

EAST COAST COASTAL LOW MIGRATES VERY SLOWLY UP THE COAST DAYS 3-7

EFFECTIVELY EXPOSING THE UNNECESSARINESS OF THE DROUGHT TRACKER

THREAD OVER AT THE RABBLE-ROUSING NEW ENGLAND WEATHER FORUM OF

AMERICAN WEATHER...."

Pattern looks to be changing to wetter by later next week and beyond. Won't erase the deficits right away, but it will inhibit the chances of this becoming any sort of an issue into summer.

I can'be be sure, but the drought hyperbolists (is that a word?) will not be concerned about overcoming the deficits.  Deep down, I think their focus is solely on their lawns and to get under Ginxy's skin.  Once all our lawns are getting natural watering, they won't have anything nto faux-b**ch about.

I can'be be sure, but the drought hyperbolists (is that a word?) will not be concerned about overcoming the deficits. Deep down, I think their focus is solely on their lawns and to get under Ginxy's skin. Once all our lawns are getting natural watering, they won't have anything nto faux-b**ch about.

Lol nobody gets under my skin here. Kevin has left the board once again. There never was a drought only a dry period. Beneficial rain incoming.

I can'be be sure, but the drought hyperbolists (is that a word?) will not be concerned about overcoming the deficits. Deep down, I think their focus is solely on their lawns and to get under Ginxy's skin. Once all our lawns are getting natural watering, they won't have anything nto faux-b**ch about.

Drought is the new weenie fad season since we need something to troll with between the winter and high dew transition. After next week's rain it will be swampazz mode.

OKX has introduced rain chances starting Tue night into Thurs...30-40% chance at this point...

It amazing to find them deep into some re-grown forest's here. You can go hiking in 75-100 year old second growth forest and find miles of stonewalls where farmland used to be. The forest will take back abandoned farmland fairly quickly, usually with 5-10 years or less..

A couple of my friends spend some free time researching and seeking out colonial stonewall boundaries.

You can research why mine are so oddly drawn----

It amazing to find them deep into some re-grown forest's here. You can go hiking in 75-100 year old second growth forest and find miles of stonewalls where farmland used to be. The forest will take back abandoned farmland fairly quickly, usually with 5-10 years or less..

Yeah--that was a huge deforestation back then.  Firewood was at a premium--needed to ship it in from Nova Scotia since it was largely cut down in SNE.

Drought is the new weenie fad season since we need something to troll with between the winter and high dew transition. After next week's rain it will be swampazz mode.

April is typically a DP extreme;  the region will either "suffer" excessive drying, or be overly wet depending on the year/pattern bias.  

You know this ... but when it is not raining, and there is a drying Canadian flow, there is no way to get moisture back into the atmosphere, so theta-e swings wildly downward in the means -- you end up going from saturated to desert air mass very easily that way.

For that, this dryness is pedestrian and not out of the ordinary.  As green up deepens/lushes out, the DPs will restore that way, and then a wayward system that inputs moisture such as Wed/Thur, will only add ... and yes, it's kind of a transition week into available DP air masses.  Then, with the absence of bona fide ridging to really cause a "real" drought, there will be opportunities of instability to refit soil moisture.

April is typically a DP extreme;  the region will either "suffer" excessive drying, or be overly wet depending on the year/pattern bias.  

You know this ... but when it is not raining, and there is a drying Canadian flow, there is no way to get moisture back into the atmosphere, so theta-e swings wildly downward in the means -- you end up going from saturated to desert air mass very easily that way.

For that, this dryness is pedestrian and not out of the ordinary.  As green up deepens/lushes out, the DPs will restore that way, and then a wayward system that inputs moisture such as Wed/Thur, will only add ... and yes, it's kind of a transition week into available DP air masses.  

Yup. We're just now starting to get the transpiration portion of ET working into the system to increase air moisture. Like you said, these low dew, dry stretches aren't uncommon this time of year.

Eastern Connecticut streamflow is not running to terribly bad at the moment:

Thames River Basin 01119382  WILLIMANTIC RIVER AT MERROW RD. NEAR MERROW, CT   05/07 12:15 EST  1.65  105  115  01119500  WILLIMANTIC RIVER NEAR COVENTRY, CT.   05/07 12:15 EST  3.10  98  234  01120790  NATCHAUG RIVER AT MARCY RD. NEAR CHAPLIN, CT   05/07 12:00 EST  2.60  38  137  01121000  MOUNT HOPE RIVER NEAR WARRENVILLE, CT.   05/07 12:15 EST  1.45  17  54.0  01121330  FENTON RIVER AT MANSFIELD,CT   05/07 12:15 EST  3.37  12  40.0  01122000  NATCHAUG RIVER AT WILLIMANTIC, CT.   05/07 12:30 EST  1.88  90  321  01122500  SHETUCKET RIVER NEAR WILLIMANTIC, CT.   05/07 12:30 EST  2.48  268  790  01123000  LITTLE RIVER NEAR HANOVER, CT.   05/07 12:15 EST  1.72  23  56.0  011230695  SHETUCKET RIVER AT TAFTVILLE, CONN.   05/07 12:00 EST  6.38  859  1,010  01123360  QUINEBAUG R BL E BRIMFIELD DAM AT FISKDALE, MA   05/07 12:30 EST  2.69  48  134  01123600  QUINEBAUG R BL WESTVILLE DAM NR SOUTHBRIDGE, MA   05/07 12:30 EST  3.68  69  187  01124000  QUINEBAUG RIVER AT QUINEBAUG, CT.   05/07 12:00 EST  2.61  83  301  01124151  QUINEBAUG R AT WEST THOMPSON, CONN.   05/07 12:30 EST  1.03  104  306  01125100  FRENCH R AT N GROSVENORDALE, CT.   05/07 12:15 EST  6.86  73  166  01125490  LITTLE RIVER AT HARRISVILLE, CT   05/07 12:00 EST  1.64  19  42.0  01125500  QUINEBAUG RIVER AT PUTNAM, CT   05/07 12:30 EST  2.54  227  578  01127000  QUINEBAUG RIVER AT JEWETT CITY, CT.   05/07 12:30 EST  7.31  1,550  1,500  01127500  YANTIC RIVER AT YANTIC, CT.   05/07 12:45 EST  1.62  49  153[/b]

Archived