joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 'oh, who cares' 1st half of May boring ass pattern banter thread

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone notice their Davis gauge underreports during heavy rain? 

I had 2.71" in my cocorahs gauge but only 2.48" in my Davis gauge. Most events up until this the numbers between the 2 have been spot on but this was our first really heavy rain event with huge rates.

I always check the other stations online on Wunderground in Tolland to see how close mine matches up with theirs. Usually we are all close but sometimes there's big diffs

What's crazy is the gradient... some places only a couple miles south in Newington only had an inch of rain!

I always check the other stations online on Wunderground in Tolland to see how close mine matches up with theirs. Usually we are all close but sometimes there's big diffs

Usually my Davis Vantage Vue over reports in heavy rain when comparing it to other stations...its pretty close though...

Looking out my windows to the west. What I do not understand is what would cause clouds to be flying out of what appears to be the NW. Isn't that very much against the wind direction?

i noticed the same thing yesterday, and had the same thought. it was kind of strange to me

Looking out my windows to the west. What I do not understand is what would cause clouds to be flying out of what appears to be the NW. Isn't that very much against the wind direction?

Not when it happens after the frontal passage.

METAR KBOS 242117Z 33013G18KT 10SM BKN030 OVC047 18/14 A2973 RMK AO2 =

METAR KBOS 242054Z 35011KT 10SM SCT017 BKN028 OVC039 19/15 A2972 RMK AO2 WSHFT 2019 SLP065 60000 T01890150 53002 =

METAR KBOS 242039Z 34009KT 10SM BKN017 BKN026 OVC032 19/16 A2972 RMK AO2 WSHFT 2019 =

METAR KBOS 242031Z 33010KT 10SM BKN017 BKN032 OVC060 19/16 A2972 RMK AO2 =

METAR KBOS 241954Z 16008KT 10SM FEW050 BKN065 21/18 A2970 RMK AO2 RAB12E23 SLP058 P0000 T02110183 =

We will heat up later this week, but for those who say we never get double digit departures anymore, ORH has had 3 this month.

Someone on my facebook just linked me to this. Read about it before. May 22nd was the anniversary of one of the worst weather fueled fires in Boston's history and it was in Dorchester.

Absolutely insane pictures, I'm sure you will recognize the area. 

http://bostonfirehistory.org/firestory05221964.html

Chilly but last glory day for the frigid franks?

Euro is damn hot beginning Thursday. 2m 90s for the W flow downslope locales and Sun is probably near 90F too. I doubt we're done with below normal cooldowns, but they may become fewer and farther between.

Someone on my facebook just linked me to this. Read about it before. May 22nd was the anniversary of one of the worst weather fueled fires in Boston's history and it was in Dorchester.

Absolutely insane pictures, I'm sure you will recognize the area.

http://bostonfirehistory.org/firestory05221964.html

wow only 15 mins from first alarm to all hands on deck, fast fire spread, must have been a very dry period.

wow only 15 mins from first alarm to all hands on deck, fast fire spread, must have been a very dry period.

Gusty SW winds.. dry and warm too. An example of a worst case scenario. Wood triple deckers packed next to each other, ugly. Like you said 1 to 5 alarms in 15 is ugly. 5 alarm is the equivalent to the modern day 9 alarm.

Drought fail.

Water is no longer an issue where I live...5-10" of rainfall for the communities around Mount Mansfield (heaviest on the west slope and adjacent eastern suburbs of BTV). 

Stowe VIllage CoCoRAHS has come in with 5.19" in the past 6 days on the east side of the mountain...but the west side of the mountain in Jerhico and Underhill have picked up 7-10" of rain in the last 6 days.

And with NW flow finally showing up today, steadier upslope precipitation has redeveloped over these areas that don't need any more rainfall. 

Archived