• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
zwyts 2013 Summer Outlook

Deck Pic

I'm sorry; I didn't mean to have you speculate next winter. I was just curious how a more neutral picture would change your summer thoughts, if at all. Given the stuff that Sam has been posting about the QBO and what historically happens in DC during these type of ENSO winters, I too would lean 

probably not much..i stayed away from quick developing ninos....23-24/09-10 were late enough developers that I dont think they affect the outlook....I hedged neutral so therefore avoided summers like 1957 and 1997 where Nino blew up                                                                                                 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The earliest winter cancel i have ever seen since joining eastern. And you beat Ji as well. I'm going to go hide in the closet and cry now.

lol don't worry about it (I know you are just kidding around). It's April. No one has a clue.  

probably not much..i stayed away from quick developing ninos....23-24/09-10 were late enough developers that I dont think they affect the outlook....I hedged neutral so therefore avoided summers like 1957 and 1997 where Nino blew up

Sounds completely reasonable. Were the other late developers just not cutting it in terms of their sensible weather comparisons to DC?

Zwyts, 86 wouldn't be a bad match so far from an enso/teleconnection standpoint. We would need enso to kick in the warming though to keep pace there. 86 JJA trimonthly was dead neutral. There are definitely some similarities with having a period of very intense hl blocking in the second half of winter. It just came earlier in Feb in 86 compared to Mar this year. 

What was the summer of 86 like? 

lol don't worry about it (I know you are just kidding around). It's April. No one has a clue.  

Sounds completely reasonable. Were the other late developers just not cutting it in terms of their sensible weather comparisons to DC?

partly..and also other factors...upper air patterns...preceding years...PDO, etc...I tossed 1986 for instance...and other non-ninos got consideration but failed some other tests...I'll probably do more in depth analysis for CWG....

Zwyts, 86 wouldn't be a bad match so far from an enso/teleconnection standpoint. We would need enso to kick in the warming though to keep pace there. 86 JJA trimonthly was dead neutral. There are definitely some similarities with having a period of very intense hl blocking in the second half of winter. It just came earlier in Feb in 86 compared to Mar this year. 

What was the summer of 86 like? 

summer of 86 was the beginning of a drought period....it was a hot summer with a cold August..in fact we tied THE ALL-TIME record low in August which is amazing for DCA...that isnt just DCA...that is going back to 1871

among other reasons, I mainly punted it because it was smack dab in the middle of a massive +PDO regime..

summer of 86 was the beginning of a drought period....it was a hot summer with a cold August..in fact we tied THE ALL-TIME record low in August which is amazing for DCA...that isnt just DCA...that is going back to 1871

among other reasons, I mainly punted it because it was smack dab in the middle of a massive +PDO regime..

Also it was in the previous cold AMO (Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation) regime which really seems to have an impact on our summer weather on the east coast...not so much winter. That lasted from about 1960 to the early 90s. Now we are in the warm regime again.

Can't help but laugh that in a summer outlook thread we have already switched to talking about next winter.

especially given the string of awful winter forecasts the past few

Without a Nino I sure would keep the snow below average for DCA again next year.  I don't have any clue how the months would break down.  Your last season call was pretty spectacular in that regard. 

we've gotten above normal snow in a non-nino once in the last 30 years....below normal at DCA is an absolute lock if we don't get a nino....the question is whether to start going 5-8" in these outlooks instead of the boilerplate 8-12 or 10-14....

Also it was in the previous cold AMO (Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation) regime which really seems to have an impact on our summer weather on the east coast...not so much winter. That lasted from about 1960 to the early 90s. Now we are in the warm regime again.

75% chance you have a minus summer up there

75% chance you have a minus summer up there

It would certainly buck the recent rend...I'd hedge positive all else being equal until the AMO goes back down a bit, but some of the objective analogs do have some coolish looking summers which may need to be weighted more.

I love how this summer forecast thread is all about next winter

any lr forecast that has the 2009 in it I'll gladly hug

fwiw, CFS2 isn't now, nor has it been in any forecast so far, impressed with the heat this summer

that should make Matt feel a bit :yikes: if nothing else

wrt winter, I just can't believe the NINA will kill us a 4th year in a row

fwiw, CFS2 isn't now, nor has it been in any forecast so far, impressed with the heat this summer

:whistle:

I have never looked at or used the CFS in any way

Euro SIPS isn't impressed with heat this summer either. Doesn't mean it is right of course. I usually look at it for long range ENSO and not summer temps.

Really.  You guys are just as bad.

maybe to you but there are major differences. we never talk about threats 10 days out.. or 9 mo out. ;)  plus we all generally expect it to suck.

Archived