joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thunderstorm Threat 4-10-13

SRRTA22

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some moderate rain, some lightning, some thunder, some wind, nothing spectacular here, but good for first thunderstorms of the year.

The strongest winds 30-40 mph here were with the leading edge of the outflow with some CTG lightning

and a brief heavy downpour.

We got caught out in it.  Dang, I should have known better.  Was doing some trail maintenance about 2 miles south of here after work and tackled one tree too many.  We were still n the woods when it went from a quiet evening to roaring winds.  Lots of lightning as we hurried home.  The shelf cloud coming at us wasn't very encouraging, but at least we beat most of the rain,  I hate (detest) being out in lightning, but it was pretty cool at the same time.

At a point in time during that thunderstorm there had to be a flash of lightning every 10 seconds or so. Very impressive.

a real interesting feature here was toward the end, the exact same lightning pattern just kept repeating itself... a broad, rolling spotlight-like effect, encompassing a large portion of the sky.  just over and over for about 10 minutes.  never seen anything quite like that.

a real interesting feature here was toward the end, the exact same lightning pattern just kept repeating itself... a broad, rolling spotlight-like effect, encompassing a large portion of the sky.  just over and over for about 10 minutes.  never seen anything quite like that.

I've never seen such a high frequency lightning event like that either.

The line to the west is looking more and more impressive on the latest radar frames.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=dix&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

Archived