• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thunderstorm Threat 4-10-13

SRRTA22

SPC has just S and W of the city in slight risk tomorrow. 

day2otlk_1730.gif

"...IL-NJ...

WIDELY SCATTERED TO SCATTERED TSTMS ARE EXPECTED PRIMARILY ALONG AND   N OF QUASISTATIONARY FRONT THROUGH PERIOD.  ACTIVITY N OF FRONT WILL   POSE RISK OF OCNL HAIL...WITH DAMAGING GUSTS NEAR FRONT...AND A   TORNADO OR TWO CANNOT BE RULED OUT.  LACK OF MORE ROBUST LOW-LEVEL   WINDS IN ADJACENT WARM SECTOR KEEPS HODOGRAPH SIZE LIMITED...EXCEPT   IN VERY NARROW FRONTAL CORRIDOR...THOUGH 40-50 KT EFFECTIVE SHEAR   MAGNITUDES ARE POSSIBLE IN SUPPORT OF TSTM ORGANIZATION.  60S SFC   DEW POINTS SHOULD CONTRIBUTE TO 1000-1500 J/KG MLCAPE DURING   AFTERNOON...LOCALLY HIGHER IN AREAS OF MOST PERSISTENT INSOLATION. "   

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

40-50kts of 0-6km bulk shear and marginal lapse rates could support organized convection as some have stated. High resolution forecast models show a vort max coming along the top of the highest ridge heights between 15 and 21z Wednesday, tracking from the Ohio Valley through Pennsylvania. This could provide enough forcing for convection along a narrow axis as it shifts east. It will be interesting to see if anything can get organized beyond scattered convection with the aforementioned marginally favorable 0-6km wind fields.

If the 06z NAM has any clue, their could be some bowing to the line right as it approaches the area centered near NE NJ and NYC. That could locally enhance any damaging wind threats. Still going to be cool to see the first thunderstorms of the season, even if they are below severe limits.

I'd be careful with the marine layer if anything approaches the coastline.

The 12z NAM has the marine inversion by by 21z,  for NYC NE. This will likely prevent any t-storms from producing severe wind gusts. However, with some drier air throughout column, there is good possibility for some small hail.

2wdnibl.jpg

What about those of us west of NYC? You know 50% of this forum is west of NYC?

See, at a minimum we should be under what I would call a "Severe Thunderstorm Advisory." As the line grows closer to us, certainly for the 6:00 pm news product, I'd put up a watch if the line isn't showing any signs of deteriorating and then 45-60 minutes out, throw up a warning. The NYC Metro Area is home to over 20 million people, I'd say less than 10% are thinking about a severe thunderstorm today. The weather is absolutely GORGEOUS outside.

The current depiction of the NAM high res radar vs current radar is pretty poor. I thought that model was supposed to be good at forecasting convection. If you were to believe the NAM, that stuff in NE PA is just rain showers.

Mt. Holly removed thunder from the zone graphic forecast for my area, not sure why

See, at a minimum we should be under what I would call a "Severe Thunderstorm Advisory." As the line grows closer to us, certainly for the 6:00 pm news product, I'd put up a watch if the line isn't showing any signs of deteriorating and then 45-60 minutes out, throw up a warning. The NYC Metro Area is home to over 20 million people, I'd say less than 10% are thinking about a severe thunderstorm today. The weather is absolutely GORGEOUS outside.

From Mt. Holly

.DAY ONE...THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THERE IS A CHANCE OF SOME GUSTY THUNDERSTORMS THIS EVENING.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

SHOWERS AND POSSIBLE THUNDERSTORMS WITH DOWNPOURS ARE ANTICIPATED

FOR THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING. POOR DRAINAGE FLOODING WILL

BE POSSIBLE, AND ANY STRONGER STORMS COULD PRODUCE LOCALLY GUSTY

WINDS.

Upton makes no mention of anything severe so I would disagree that the any advisory or watch is needed. The public is already weary of all the named winter storms and hyping of blizzards that never came. You can't put out an advisory/watch/warning everytime we get a thundershower. As long as its mentioned that we are getting thunderstorms I think people get the idea.

Archived