• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 21-26 winter storm threats: best SE opportunities of season?

GaWx

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Matt knows more than I ever will, but CAD events with the high well north of the Canadian border don't inspire confidence. Maybe if it were January.

Euro also backed WAAAAY off its colder solutions in the 7-10 day range. Huge reversal, really.

Yesterday CAD had me at 34 and Alleghany 30-32. CAD still works probably just as good as January. 

guys looks like everything is normal.  We've already lost the storm, a lakes cutter or northwest of nc anyway from what I'm reading on here.  GO FIGURE!  I thought with all the blocking this storm had no choice but be suppressed.  I thought the only issue was would it be cold enough.  So what's going on?

I think I've had it for this winter, I was so diasappointed in this winter before this.  This puts the icing on the cake.

guys looks like everything is normal.  We've already lost the storm, a lakes cutter or northwest of nc anyway from what I'm reading on here.  GO FIGURE!  I thought with all the blocking this storm had no choice but be suppressed.  I thought the only issue was would it be cold enough.  So what's going on?

I think I've had it for this winter, I was so diasappointed in this winter before this.  This puts the icing on the cake.

Well, I think we have seen all winter the blocking doesn't matter as much as we thought it did.

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

1102 AM EDT TUE MAR 19 2013

VALID 12Z FRI MAR 22 2013 - 12Z TUE MAR 26 2013

MULTI-DAY MODEL AVERAGES DEPICT A SPLIT FLOW OVER NORTH AMERICA AT

THE MEDIUM RANGE, WITH CONTINENTAL POLAR AND ARCTIC AIR FEEDING

INTO THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN STATES, AND A PACIFIC JET DIVING

THROUGH THE WEST AND ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH. THE EXTREME AMPLITUDE

AND PERSISTENCE OF THE NORTHERN STREAM OWES TO THE NEAR-RECORD

NEGATIVE ARCTIC OSCILLATION--EXPECTED TO BOTTOM OUT AT THE SHORT

RANGE. AS VIGOROUS AS THE SYSTEMS STREAMING INTO THE WEST ARE,

THEY MUST YIELD TO THE POLAR EXPRESS ONCE THEY EMERGE ON THE LEE

SIDE OF THE ROCKY MOUNTAINS. THE FIRST SUCH WAVE IS EXPECTED TO

TRAVEL ACROSS THE DEEP SOUTH DAYS 3 AND 4, WITH A DECIDED ZONAL

STRIPE TO ITS PRECIPITATION. THE NEXT WAVE PACKET IS MORE COMPLEX,

COMPRISED OF AT LEAST TWO DISTINCT SHORTWAVES. BASED ON THE

EVER-ROBUST MIDDLE GROUND OF THE EUROPEAN CENTRE ENSEMBLE MEAN,

ANTICIPATE THAT THE LEADING EDGE OF THIS SYSTEM WILL BE CROSSING

COLORADO EARLY DAY 4, WITH A DISJOINTED LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM

TRACKING EAST-SOUTHEASTWARD THEREAFTER. A GOOD CHUNK OF THE 00Z/19

DETERMINISTIC MODELS ARE EMPHASIZING THE SLOWER SHORTWAVE,

SPINNING UP A DEEP CYCLONE UP NEAR 40N. THE EUROPEAN CENTRE

GUIDANCE IS CLOSER TO THE MULTI-DAY AVERAGES, PUTTING MOST OF THE

DYNAMICS IN THE LEAD WAVE, AND CUTTING OFF THE TRAILING IMPULSE

FROM THE INFLUX OF MOISTURE VIA THE GULF OF MEXICO THAT MORE

PHASING WOULD AFFORD. THE PRONOUNCED SQUASH TO THE FLOW EAST OF

THE MISSISSIPPI FAVORS A MORE SHEARED EVENT, ALONG THE LINES OF

THE EUROPEAN CENTRE GUIDANCE. HOW FAR NORTH A SURFACE LOW FINALLY

ORGANIZES ALONG THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD WILL DETERMINE THE EXTENT OF

REAL ESTATE AFFECTED BY SNOW LATE IN THE PERIOD.

CISCO

FFC is saying a rain/snow mix possible in Atlanta on Thursday night but BMX mentions absolutely nothing about snow. Any thoughts ?

The Gfs had a tiny short wave moving down the 0 line over you and me a few runs back,  Now everything is less suppressed so it's up in Tenn.  Think we'll have to wait and see what transpires.  I don't much trust the models to figure things out 'till we get closer unless the historic blocking has gone poof! T

FFC is saying a rain/snow mix possible in Atlanta on Thursday night but BMX mentions absolutely nothing about snow. Any thoughts ?

My thoughts:

1) I sometimes miss the old conservative FFC. Before we know it, FFC is liable to go ahead and put out a WSWatch lol. They've gone from one extreme to the other it seems.

2) I forgot to mention...no NAM, DGEX, or NOGAPS mentions, let alone maps, are allowed in this thread. ;) Well, I can dream of the impossible, can't I?

3) Did I mention that posting here using IE is almost as difficult as Wilkes giving up canned spaghetti and meatballs?

@120 there is a 1024 high in the GL area with a 1020 high around PA with moisture moving in. 

1) The 12Z 3/19 GFS definitely suggests a wintry precip. threat (mainly IP/ZR) for WNC Saturday night/early Sun. 3/24 with that nice CAD sig.

2) This run's clown map actually gives parts of far NW GA (west of LaFayette toward AL border)/far NE AL ~1" of snow on Friday 3/22. That is a move toward the Euro.

Naysayers! How many times have we seen the models lose it only to bring it back right before it happens. 

Hell, the system that's going to cause the event isn't even on shore yet. 

Heard this before, too. The trend this winter is for the Euro to follow the GFS and for the storms to go north down the road. I don't see any reason to think that will change until we actually see it happen.

My thoughts:

1) I sometimes miss the old conservative FFC. Before we know it, FFC is liable to go ahead and put out a WSWatch lol. They've gone from one extreme to the other it seems.

2) I forgot to mention...no NAM, DGEX, or NOGAPS mentions, let alone maps, are allowed in this thread. ;) Well, I can dream of the impossible, can't I?

3) Did I mention that posting here using IE is almost as difficult as Wilkes giving up canned spaghetti and meatballs?

Regarding number three...why not use somthing else like Firefox.  I've had zero issues with Firefox.

Regarding number one...I 100% agree.  I've had 4 winter storm warnings IMBY this year. LOL

Archived