• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 21-26 winter storm threats: best SE opportunities of season?

GaWx

Congrats!!! I had just a little mix here, 5 miles to my north see snow falling for an hour or two with no accumulations.

Did you see Blacksburg update for Roanoke? I think there sipping on something good over at the weather office! HAHA 3-5 more just don't see it happening but hey I am going to be there biggest fan with those numbers tonight lol

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you see Blacksburg update for Roanoke? I think there sipping on something good over at the weather office! HAHA 3-5 more just don't see it happening but hey I am going to be there biggest fan with those numbers tonight lol

3-5 seems high, but that is a very nice band heading your way, if it can hold together, hopefully it does, will be rooting for you guys

post-2311-0-76103000-1364174147_thumb.pn

Ice possible in Triad for Monday AM.

SPE.gif

Special Statement SPE.gif

Statement as of 8:34 PM EDT on March 24, 2013

... Spotty black ice possible by early Monday morning across the

far northern Piedmont...

Residual moisture left over from the recent rainfall... in tandem

with temperatures falling to near or slightly below freezing... may

lead to the development of spotty black ice on area roadways by

early Monday morning. The patches of black ice... if it

occurs... would be most likely on bridges and overpasses.

Uncertainty still exists as to what the temperatures will be early

Monday morning. Early morning commuters should keep abreast of

the temperatures in their area early Monday and budget extra time

to allow for possible travel delays.

Doubt that. Sun was out today and heated asphalt enough to keep from freezing. It would need to get down to 29 or 30 and that dont look to happen

Is everyone enjoying the follow up to a second consecutive crap winter? That follow up being a cold and rainy Spring with parameters we could have used in Jan and Feb.

I got over twice as much snow this winter at last winter.  At this rate, we'll meet average next winter.  Wohoo! :D

In reality, we all know we're due for a Big Dog.  1'+ will fall in the Carolina lowlands during a snowstorm next winter.  Book it.  :weenie:

Doubt that. Sun was out today and heated asphalt enough to keep from freezing. It would need to get down to 29 or 30 and that dont look to happen

If Raleigh NWS meant the Triad that is what they would have said. "Far northern peidmint" is not the Triad.

If Raleigh NWS meant the Triad that is what they would have said. "Far northern peidmint" is not the Triad.

I'd disagree.  Since the northern border counties of the northwest piedmont are covered by Blacksburg, that Guilford and Forsyth are the furthest northwest counties in thier area.  Now it could include more than just the triad, but I don't think it would exclude the triad.

TW

http://www.weather.gov/rah/  Yep.  Davidson Guilford, Forsyth, Alamance, Orange, Durham, and whatever is just north and northeast of Durham. 

I'd disagree.  Since the northern border counties of the northwest piedmont are covered by Blacksburg, that Guilford and Forsyth are the furthest northwest counties in thier area.  Now it could include more than just the triad, but I don't think it would exclude the triad.

TW

Feel free to disagree but when they mean the Triad they say Triad. Besides, you added the northwest. The statement said, "far northern". In their area that means Rockingham, Caswell.

TW

http://www.weather.gov/rah/  Yep.  Davidson Guilford, Forsyth, Alamance, Orange, Durham, and whatever is just north and northeast of Durham. 

Yes.  We could have avoided the entire discussion if Wilkes had posted this:

NCZ007>009-021>025-038-251200-PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-ORANGE-DURHAM-DAVIDSON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...HENDERSON...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...CHAPEL HILL...DURHAM...LEXINGTON834 PM EDT SUN MAR 24 2013

35 and drizzle here.  Perhaps we can get into some heavier returns we can get some light snow, but I'm not holding my breath.  It looks like the "best" returns are going to miss by by 10 miles to my north.

mountains squashed that line, like it was nothing. horrible storm after another...followed by a horrible spring. these past two years have just been so eventful for the southeast. 

snowing here in NW Guilford!   superjames where are you?

Yeah, I had about given up with all the drizzle over the last couple hours, but sure enough!  All of our insignificant snows seem to come at 2-3 AM in the morning this year, LOL.  Pretty solid rates at the moment and nice-sized flakes.  Radar shows absolutely nothing, so who knows?  A dusting on the mulch would be a victory.  Well, really, seeing flakes in the air at all in late March is pretty much a win.

"Solid rates" might be a bit of an embellishment, but it's more than flurries.  It seems to be mixed with some rain, though.

Okay for real going back to bed this time. Will refrain from looking out bedroom window again to see big flakes falling in the dark. 

Praying to God tonight it does not snow 1 inch so I don't have to eat my boxers from my DT post earlier.

Any accumulations?

GSO reports -SN/RA at their 2 AM observation.  33/32.

KGSO 250554Z 01003KT 2 1/2SM -SNRA BR OVC004 01/00 A2957 RMK AO2 DZE48RAB48PLB48E53SNB50 CIG 002V009 SLP016 P0002 60002 T00060000 10017 20006 58008

Archived