• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 21-26 winter storm threats: best SE opportunities of season?

GaWx

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there will be fog, precip, and 30 degree temps. Strong classic wedge for late March IMO. Going w/ NWS Blacksburg on this one.

yea...for VA. The majority of the people here care about NC LOL

Here is the wetbulb temps 

swbt.gif?1364104672643

sfc temps

fztp.gif?1364104817840

I see no strong high pressure to the north to sustain the barrier jet. Note the low forming off of SC's coast. Sfs maps indicate the low already having effects in NC. The inversion will erode as the low moves north. I was hoping for winter precip for non-mtn locations in NC, but after looking at critical thickness, wetbulb temp, and current temp my confidence is dropping. 

here is the thickness's. if it were to start to precipitate right now...the majority of VA would be rain. this is probably why offices were so hesitant on issuing warnings... 

thck.gif?1364105310027

I disagree about the lack of wedging tomorrow.  NE winds from 6 to 9 mph is definite wedging.  And, frankly, to keep us in the mid to upper 30s in the daytime in late March, I'd say it's decent wedging.

RAH talks about it in their latest AFD:

TEMPERATURES:CHALLENGING TEMPERATURE FCST. ANTICIPATE A HYBRID OR IN-SITU COLDAIR DAMMING WEDGE TO DEVELOP DURING THE DAY SUNDAY...WITH HIGHSRANGING FROM THE MID/UPPER 30S IN THE NW PIEDMONT TO THE LOWER/MID40S IN THE SE COASTAL PLAIN. LOWS SUNDAY NIGHT MAY VARY ONLY SEVERALDEGREES FROM DAYTIME HIGHS ON SUNDAY GIVEN THAT THE COLD AIR DAMMINGWEDGE IS LIKELY TO REMAIN IN PLACE ALL NIGHT...WITH THE WEDGE NOTLIKELY TO MIX OUT UNTIL THE ONSET OF STRONG COLD ADVECTION ONMONDAY. WILL INDICATE LOWS RANGING FROM THE LOWER/MID 30S N/NW TOUPPER 30S AND LOWER 40S FAR S/SE.

look at my above post. there is a inversion...but it's nothing that will bring winter weather tomorrow. it's not strong at all. 

I disagree about the lack of wedging tomorrow.  NE winds from 6 to 9 mph is definite wedging.  And, frankly, to keep us in the mid to upper 30s in the daytime in late March, I'd say it's decent wedging.

RAH talks about it in their latest AFD:

I do hope im wrong though...this would be one the the few times that i would be happy if i was :)

So do I and I'm going to hope so until I'm wrong. :)

I am curious about the good Dr. and his prognosis tonight, although we are kind of at a nowcasting time frame now.  I'd love to at least see some mangled flakes descend from the heavens tomorrow evening.  I don't think it's going to happen, but I'll keep on hoping.

Moderate/Heavy Snow hit this morning in the NC mountains with accumulations. Here in the foothills its 36 degrees fog w/ precip.

If you read the post before, instead of taking my post out of context i said. " I was hoping for winter precip for non-mtn locations in NC, but after looking at critical thickness, wetbulb temp, and current temp my confidence is dropping. ". And CAD does not effect mountaintops. Dunno if you know that or not. 

If you read the post before, instead of taking my post out of context i said. " I was hoping for winter precip for non-mtn locations in NC, but after looking at critical thickness, wetbulb temp, and current temp my confidence is dropping. ". And CAD does not effect mountaintops. Dunno if you know that or not. 

Why would you think such a thing?  :D

This has been a mountain event from the start.

Why would you think such a thing?  :D

This has been a mountain event from the start.

:facepalm:

Your quotes

"Shift the 540 line 1-2 counties south on the GFS and boom for northern foothills / north-west Triad."

"Birds are going crazy here. Therefore, I am calling for accumulating snow IMBY."

"Feeling a good snow is on the way for the mountains/foothills."

"I think foothills will be in the game. Maybe north-west Piedmont too."

"I think this is our best opportunity. Never seen snow on the ground for my birthday so it would be fairly historic. "

So you deff knew this was going to be a mountain event from that start. 

Archived