• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
March 21-26 winter storm threats: best SE opportunities of season?

GaWx

We need a 50-75 mile SE shift, not sure we are going to get it, looks like the NC/VA border will be the battleground.  This looks very simliar to the March 6th event but the airmass is a lot colder but the 500mb low is alot weaker, atleast so far.

Yeah, being relatively close to the border here (35 miles, as the crow flies), it's still dragging me along, haha.  The clown maps from Allan's site even show 1-2" here, though I'm not quite sure how that would happen barring something strange happening in between the six-hour panels.

One thing nice about this storm is that there's a lot more cold air to tap than in the Snowquester storm.  I expect nothing from this, but you never know, I suppose.  The recent trends have been good, but I tend to doubt they'll continue.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, with the crazy low -ao, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the temps kept going down, and the snow line too.  This just seems like a weekend where weather could go crazy :)  Wouldn't take much ice on the ground to lower temps tomorrow...and on, and on, until the whole weekend is covered up, lol.  More likely to be 15 minutes of sleet and the cold rain until Mon, but that's the fun of weather.  It  can always be the unusual event.  When good things just  happen no matter who says what.  They are the events that make 10 year olds into weather lovers for life. 

We used to have stellar March's when I was a kid. This present ride seems about right to me.  T

The 18Z Goofy gives Marietta an impressive 0.40" of qpf tomorrow up til ~9PM with 850's mostly near a precarious +1C and 2M temp.'s as low as 34 F. This is the wettest and coldest run yet for Marietta. I think the qpf is overdone, partially because it is assuming a current TD that is about 10 F warmer than reality. However, that also means the potential of more evap. cooling than the model shows. This is sooo close to a measurable S/IP event and tells me it is quite possible. Peactree Dekalb is similar with

~0.33" of qpf. Athens is near 0.30" with 850's still near +1C. Gainseville is similar with ~0.25".

Also, note that south-central MO has already received 3-5" of snow in some spots, which means the GFS is verifying better than the Euro. That is somewhat encouraging for N GA. We'll see.

Here in walkland (E Cobb county NW of Atl) I just completed a great chilly walk. Ahhhhhhh. It was near 46 when I started it 1.5 hours ago, but has since dropped to 39 F with the cloud blanket getting close. Such lovely wx for a walk!

Currently 36.5ºF and falling about 3.4º/hour here. Should be at or below freezing before the clouds come in. The dewpoint is 16.2F so the air is very dry

The cloud blanket has come in and already warmed temps to 42 in Dunwoody. Unless the clouds thin out later this evening, temp.'s probably will hang near 40 until if/when the precip. arrives early enough tomorrow (or late tonight) when evap. cooling would restart cooling into the middle 30's or so.

The 18Z Goofy gives Marietta an impressive 0.40" of qpf tomorrow up til ~9PM with 850's mostly near a precarious +1C and 2M temp.'s as low as 34 F. This is the wettest and coldest run yet for Marietta. I think the qpf is overdone, partially because it is assuming a current TD that is about 10 F warmer than reality. However, that also means the potential of more evap. cooling than the model shows. This is sooo close to a measurable S/IP event and tells me it is quite possible. Peactree Dekalb is similar with

~0.33" of qpf. Athens is near 0.30" with 850's still near +1C. Gainseville is similar with ~0.25".

Also, note that south-central MO has already received 3-5" of snow in some spots, which means the GFS is verifying better than the Euro. That is somewhat encouraging for N GA. We'll see.

Here in walkland (E Cobb county NW of Atl) I just completed a great chilly walk. Ahhhhhhh. It was near 46 when I started it 1.5 hours ago, but has since dropped to 39 F with the cloud blanket getting close. Such lovely wx for a walk!

Larry, I feel taunted into responding with the marietta reference. The cynic in me say cold rain. The weenie in me says snow! Sadly ill be moving in whatever weather we get. Ill need a name change to Powder SpringsWx... Doesn't really have the same ring to it as my current name.

Larry, I feel taunted into responding with the marietta reference. The cynic in me say cold rain. The weenie in me says snow! Sadly ill be moving in whatever weather we get. Ill need a name change to Powder SpringsWx... Doesn't really have the same ring to it as my current name.

I don't know...Powder Springs sounds almost ski resort-ish.

Nearest weather station to me (using Wunderground) shows 37.9 F with a Dew Point of 22.7 F and humidity of 55%... also shows pressure dropping (at 29.94 in).

I hope to wake to a small covering (that will likely kill my garden... but that is another story).

Good luck all...

Hammer

I'm losing 56 feet of elevation. Do you think that will lower my chances of snow in the future?

If my maps are correct, that still puts you over 1,000' (1,070-ish?).  So considering that Lyman sits around 930' but still saw more snow this year than most in the SE - I'd say you should be just fine.

If my maps are correct, that still puts you over 1,000' (1,070-ish?). So considering that Lyman sits around 930' but still saw more snow this year than most in the SE - I'd say you should be just fine.

1040-1050 ish now.. Going to 980-990. I always enjoyed saying I was over 1000 feet.... Maybe the ski resort ish name will make up the difference. Ill need to break out the GPS tomorrow and see what it says..

On topic I'm feeling a cold rain coming......

The 00z NAM almost hits N NC with some snow from the first round.  850s are much colder and precip is more plentiful.  Of course, surface temps appear to be around 40F, so it's nothing.

It's also too warm for N AL/MS/GA tonight from what I gather.

The NAM is noticeably slower at 500 mb so far.

I'm losing 56 feet of elevation. Do you think that will lower my chances of snow in the future?

You'll actually get more snow, but far fewer flurries, and sn showers.  Marietta gets flurries and showers like no body's business, but you can't hear it crunch when you walk, as often a you'd think :)  Cartersville is a lot like that too. 

Guess I can start calling you PSprings, lol, instead of May retta.  37.7, and 39.3 here with a bright moon through high thin clouds. Tony

NAM 39..Hmmm. Met's?

Not a met, but if you take it at face value, it's rain judging by surface temperatures (unless the warm layer is thin?)

The NAM looks totally different out in its LR (it's slower and drives the primary further north and creams Ohio and Philly), but it's pretty useless at that time frame, so we'll let it slide.

Here in Dunwoody, cooling resumed since my last report as clouds largely cleared out. The temp. cooled from the low 40's to 39. Now, a thin blanket of clouds is back overhead with it back to 40. I suspect 40 or so will be what we have here til the precip. cools it down at least to ~34-5 if heavy enough precip. comes in by morning.

Interesting. I just checked and it has fallen all of the way from 40 to 37 here in Dunwoody under rather clear skies over the past two hours. I didn't expect this clearing. I'd think that thick clouds are getting close.

Archived