• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 6-8th Ocean Storm Discussion Part IV

Typhoon Tip

This event is fascinating, albeit rife with potential to under-perform.  We have shadowing in the deep interior, and p-type headaches where it lightens up, ranging to pockets of excessive blue snow totals,  ... none of which may be tied directly into the cyclone, but a result of peripheral indirect effect by wave of long fetch conveyor.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harv to lead the 5pm news pretty much verbatim

Harv talking bands of moderate to heavy snow on the I95 corridor by 7am.  Boston and SW suburbs, Blue Hil, Canton, Sharon, bands of heavy snow towards morning and during the course of tomorrow morning.  His exact words.

This is why he's the best.

5-9" from Worcester to Tolland to Providence to Taunton, just west of me towards Carver, up through Brockton, Canton, and then NW.  Stresses it's very early. 

Switched it ever so slightly.

Looks like a reasonable call  -   

You know, I'm watching this rad loop of NWS  - this really is no different than Lake Effect appearance on rad, the cellular sounding type, that I witnessed so often growing up in Kalamazoo.   We should just call this what it is, an OES event with a little bit of weak mid-level assist.   

Definitely true, we shouldn't post any accumulation maps, or indicate which ones we think are right until after the storm.

Hes been a tool lately with his never ending love of Mets. Nobody I see is bashing any mets. Tough forecast with huge bust potential. If the Euro is so wrong in Boston it will be an epic fail.

Hes been a tool lately with his never ending love of Mets. Nobody I see is bashing any mets. Tough forecast with huge bust potential. If the Euro is so wrong in Boston it will be an epic fail.

Lol Steve....calling folks tools but not seeing any bashing of Boston mets over the past day or two. Sorry if trying to keep some respect around here.

Ginxy, thoughts on up here? Stayed cold IMBY today...high 32.5F...snow off and on, a little addition to the pack. Some great bands earlier in Leominster...the cold is there...

I think I am too far NW to cash in.... 4-6" sound reasonable in N ORH?

Ginxy, thoughts on up here? Stayed cold IMBY today...high 32.5F...snow off and on, a little addition to the pack. Some great bands earlier in Leominster...the cold is there...

I think I am too far NW to cash in.... 4-6" sound reasonable in N ORH?

I have no clue at all, tough to go against the Euro like every Met in the Ne is. Seems everyone is in line with the GFs ignoring any NAM, SREFS,EURO,RGEM, GGEM output, just go with 3-6 like everyone else and be conservative then ramp up tomorrow afternoon and say, its stronger than we thought or say its weaker than we thought, cover all bases like they all do.

Harv just did more explaining in the 10 minutes he's been on air then everyone else combined in the last 2 days.  This is why he's the best and nobody around here denies that.

Flat out he said the heaviest snow could fall south of boston right where we all keep talking about and showed a graphic with 9.5".  He said what we already know which is it's all about dynamics.  He went through every option, every detail, etc.  We're spoiled in Boston that's what we got for years.

EDIT:  I should add his map is exactly what Ryan, Scott, Will, Bob, me, Jerry and a ton of others feel is the boom zone for this storm whether it's 5-9 or much more, that's where it'd happen.  Small chance closer to but west of me, small chance.

The GFS, along with radar, is scaring me a bit, it refuses to move north at all and seems almost stationary to my south. Was this modeled, or is it reason to be concerned?

-skisheep

Probably not - it's becoming apparent that "if" there is going to be a showing from this event it wasn't going to be from the storm its self, as it seems to want to pass too far seaward.  But there is an indirect anomalous 500mb easterly flow setting up and that is helping to encourage some deep layer instability in a saturated column for areas of SNE.  This could result in steadier snow picking up overnight tonight through the afternoon tomorrow ... Other models also argue for this continuing into tomorrow night.  But this could all take place while the mechanics associated with the cyclone pass safely seaward, having never passed over the area. 

Harv just did more explaining in the 10 minutes he's been on air then everyone else combined in the last 2 days.  This is why he's the best and nobody around here denies that.

Flat out he said the heaviest snow could fall south of boston right where we all keep talking about and showed a graphic with 9.5".  He said what we already know which is it's all about dynamics.  He went through every option, every detail, etc.  We're spoiled in Boston that's what we got for years.

EDIT:  I should add his map is exactly what Ryan, Scott, Will, Bob, me, Jerry and a ton of others feel is the boom zone for this storm whether it's 5-9 or much more, that's where it'd happen.  Small chance closer to but west of me, small chance.

The best thing about Harvey is he goes into detail even about us in CT, most TV stations are so small they only cover their neck of the woods and little else. That is why i like watching him but can not due to CT TV stations pissing and moaning about Boston stations to the FCC back in the 80s. thank God for NECN, wish they would hire Harvey

Probably not - it's becoming apparent that "if" there is going to be a showing from this event it wasn't going to be from the storm its self, as it seems to want to pass too far seaward.  But there is an indirect anomalous 500mb easterly flow setting up and that is helping to encourage some deep layer instability in a saturated column for areas of SNE.  This could result in steadier snow picking up overnight tonight through the afternoon tomorrow ... Other models also argue for this continuing into tomorrow night.  But this could all take place while the mechanics associated with the cyclone pass safely seaward, having never passed over the area. 

Email harv find out what his top limit is.

The GFS, along with radar, is scaring me a bit, it refuses to move north at all and seems almost stationary to my south. Was this modeled, or is it reason to be concerned?

-skisheep

SLP moving ESE out into the Atlantic.  All models show this.  Tonight is fringe city.  The better stuff should come tomorrow.

Archived