e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hour 15, NW areas are starting to changeover but the precip is light out that way. Moderate precip getting about 30 miles NW of the city. ACY getting into the core of heavier precip. All of Long Island in moderate precip. Surface freezing line is right on the edge of the heavier precip (just inland of NYC)

somehow its back on track at hr12

It seems to really want to get dynamics going up here even with a more unfavorable upper low track, much more than many other models. Essentially the 180 deg opposite of the GFS. Again, I personally have little clue which way to go. If the GFS wasn't so wretchedly overdone with the feedback, I would go with it. If I had to guess I'd say that precip grazes us.

Call it a cave if you want, through hr 24 it's 0.50"+ on a line from KMMU up through SW CT. 0.25"-0.50" for the far NW burbs. The 0.75" line cuts from north of TTN, touching the city and the southshore of Long Island. Keep in mind that mostly everything so far would be with the surface above freezing from the city east verbatim.

Call it a cave if you want, through hr 24 it's 0.50"+ on a line from KMMU up through SW CT. 0.25"-0.50" for the far NW burbs. The 0.75" line cuts from north of TTN, touching the city and the southshore of Long Island. Keep in mind that mostly everything so far would be with the surface above freezing from the city east verbatim.

And before the inverted trough potential...

If you want to base it off the simulated radars alone, steady precip is going to be here and the radar is going to look impressive. The problem is getting the surface to cool with the better dynamics continuing to move offshore. This could be a scenario where places like Vernon and West Milford do really well because of the elevation and places like Morristown are lucky to see more than a couple inches.

With the NAM looking like it's finally caving it's very likely the CCB is just a glancing blow and if that maybe for eastern/southern areas where it will be warmer. What a shame.

There is just enough suppression with the -AO peaking to keep the best precip totals to our east again.

We generally do better when the storms happen a few days after the lowest readings with an uptrend

in the AO.

12z NAM totals through hour 30 (coastal) look nearly identical to the srefs and rgem; SOLID:

NYC: .71"

LGA: .72"

BDR: .58"

JFK: .83"

EWR: .74"

ISP: .90"

Much of that will be during daylight hours with temps above freezing. But if I can squeeze out 3 to 4" of heavy wet snow tonight I'll be happy. Should be a nice pretty snowfall that sticks to everything.

Mega inverted trough setting up at hour 39. Surface freezing line hanging around the city.

In this setup the city and Long Island might not see any significant accumulations at all. This looks to be an interior and elevation driven special.

Greater than 0.50" per hour rates showing up 100-150 miles north northwest of the city.

Much of that will be during daylight hours with temps above freezing. But if I can squeeze out 3 to 4" of heavy wet snow tonight I'll be happy. Should be a nice pretty snowfall that sticks to everything.

Not true. Pretty much all of that precip falls from 0-24 hours, meaning it ends at 7 a.m. So, most of it falls at night. 

The inverted trough is coming in now and looks great. 

Archived