e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing the Euro last night was a little disappointing but the upper air trended slightly better and the precip a hair NW so maybe there's a chance at least much of Long Island and maybe NYC can get clipped by the CCB precip (still by far our best shot at real snow from this-it's hard to trust inverted troughs and Norluns). NAM isn't backing down but it seems way too aggressive as usual. The RGEM/GGEM were somewhat re-assuring, and the GFS seems to continue in feedback la-la land. No other model just evaporates most of the CCB precip like that-the much bigger threat is it just misses SE. I'm thinking generally 2-4" from part 1, out of maybe 0.50" or so liquid for most esp. from the City east/south. The initial couple of hours are lost to rain or nonaccumulating slop but hopefully a few hours of accumulating mod-heavy snow can result. I'm being guardedly optimistic and going with 2-4" from part 2/inverted trough, but this is quite volatile and subject to change if this instead decides to linger over New England. So overall I'm sticking with the 4-8" from yesterday, lollis might exist in the Syosset-Upton corridor and maybe in a stretch along Rt. 287. Honestly, huge bust potential and it's hard to know what to think.

New SREF's are out. They scrape us with the coastal and then the main show is the northern stream wave (inverted trough if you will)

Still 1.00"+ for everyone including both events. Looks like the Euro FWIW.

They have .75"-1" for coastal for NYC and LI.

Well the 12z NAM has initialized, it's pretty much the last model showing a major hit with the coastal, if it's going to cave this is the run.

SREF is still quite wet with the coastal, the GGEM and the RGEM last night were decent as well, plus the zillion meso's such as the MM5 that are nice. It's not in great company, but not alone. If it caves, now is the time, but I have a sneaky feeling that this is going to be a nowcast situation...

-skisheep

Seeing the Euro last night was a little disappointing but the upper air trended slightly better and the precip a hair NW so maybe there's a chance at least much of Long Island and maybe NYC can get clipped by the CCB precip (still by far our best shot at real snow from this-it's hard to trust inverted troughs and Norluns). NAM isn't backing down but it seems way too aggressive as usual. The RGEM/GGEM were somewhat re-assuring, and the GFS seems to continue in feedback la-la land. No other model just evaporates most of the CCB precip like that-the much bigger threat is it just misses SE. I'm thinking generally 2-4" from part 1, out of maybe 0.50" or so liquid for most esp. from the City east/south. The initial couple of hours are lost to rain or nonaccumulating slop but hopefully a few hours of accumulating mod-heavy snow can result. I'm being guardedly optimistic and going with 2-4" from part 2/inverted trough, but this is quite volatile and subject to change if this instead decides to linger over New England. So overall I'm sticking with the 4-8" from yesterday, lollis might exist in the Syosset-Upton corridor and maybe in a stretch along Rt. 287. Honestly, huge bust potential and it's hard to know what to think.

Solid. I too agree there will be some North Shore Hill hot spots. I can see somewhere like Dix Hills at 250-300 feet getting 8 inches while most of the South Shore is 3ish. I think we see a good amount of snow overall but allot of melting sticking issues keep totals down.

Coastal wise the wind is already cranking right on schedule. We should see isolated moderate flooding tomorrow am until the North wind saves the day.

Wave wise, if the weenies on here were surfers not snow weenies they would be in their glories. One of the largest and longest swells in recent times all the way through Sunday morning. Good for surfers but bad for the struggling beaches. While there shouldn't be breaches or wash-overs we will lose most of the sand we have since gained since Sandy.

Solid. I too agree there will be some North Shore Hill hot spots. I can see somewhere like Dix Hills at 250-300 feet getting 8 inches while most of the South Shore is 3ish. I think we see a good amount of snow overall but allot of melting sticking issues keep totals down.

Coastal wise the wind is already cranking right on schedule. We should see isolated moderate flooding tomorrow am until the North wind saves the day.

Wave wise, if the weenies on here were surfers not snow weenies they would be in their glories. One of the largest and longest swells in recent times all the way through Sunday morning. Good for surfers but bad for the struggling beaches. While there shouldn't be breaches or wash-overs we will lose most of the sand we have since gained since Sandy.

Yup, definitely windy already in Long Beach this morning. The bay is already whipped up-hopefully we can save much flooding if winds pivot to northerly soon enough. I'm concerned that this becomes much more meh through light rates, and these inverted trough systems often have showery radar appearances which would be bad for accums if during the day. Hopefully most of what we get is at night. At least ground temps look cold for whatever round 2 brings. Really tough one-even more than 2/8 for us.

Archived