• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

NAM snow maps show 10"+ for the NW of I-287 folks. 12-15" at High Point, NJ. 12-15" for all of Orange County. Low end warning criteria just NW of the city. So 4-8" for the city and NE NJ and 6-12"+ for people 20-30 miles NW of the city. Would not be surprised to see someone 40 miles NW of the city exceed 18".

Total QPF

KMMU - 1.75"+

NYC - 1.75"+

All of Long Island - 1.75"+

Twin Forks 2.00"+

Sandy Hook 2.00"+

KPHL 1.75"+

Keep in mind that a lot of this is lost to poor surface temps from the city eastward.

The city has surface temps of 32 degrees at 1am and 7am with .71" of precip fallen.

You have to look at soundings. Not a blue 32 degree line on Stormvista. The blue line can be 50 miles NW and the temp is 32.4 degrees.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NAM seems to be overwarming the 850mb layer, the Euro and other models are a lot colder. I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like some of this is daytime but heavy enough rates will overcome that. Still hard for me to buy 1.0" liquid with an inverted trough but it still could be a nice bonus.

I'm glad the euro shows this at least. At this point ill be happy with 2-4", this storm is exhausting but it's likely our last until December so I can't complain.

Looking at the simulated radars I would like to caution everyone well ahead of time. The radar will not always be looking the best at any point in time. It will look great with the coastal through the morning and then begin to look showery and broken up. By the time the norlun gets cranking it looks very impressive.

The city has surface temps of 32 degrees at 1am and 7am with .71" of precip fallen.

You have to look at soundings. Not a blue 32 degree line on Stormvista. The blue line can be 50 miles NW and the temp is 32.4 degrees.

Well that's some good news then. The NAM is probably underdone accumulations wise then.

Overdone but the high res NAM gives Vernon over 3.00" of QPF. 2.50"+ from western Morris County NNE through southern Orange County, Western Rockland and Weschester. You can throw Western Passaic and NE Morris in there as well.

They really need WWA for tonight and Watches in place at least for the interior for the second wave.

NAM seems good, 3-5" with the coastal and another 4-6" with the trough? Is extreme SW CT OK in the trough, or do we rain? If HPN is snow I'm probably snow, does anyone have soundings for HPN?

We still get the same end result, just from the trough instead of the coastal...

Also keep in mind the NAM is by far the warmest with the trough, EURO has temps as a non issue for it.

Thanks

-skisheep

"FWIW, the NAM had us getting around 10"+ of snow; we ended up with about 2".  That model is just plain awful." 

-dude in morgantown, WV.

Areas to his West (Garrett Co, MD) have around 10".

My fam in the Shenandoah Valley of VA (I-81 corridor) have about a foot and a half and it's still pouring snow.  They'll probably have their biggest snow since Dec 09.

According to the clown map the NAM is 6-12" for the western 3/4 of Long Island, more as you head west. 12"+ starts in NE NJ and S NY. But if you take out probably half from the inv trough, it's I'd say a 3-6", 4-7" run for most. Going to be frustrating as hell watching the main CCB skip south of us. If this trough doesn't work out the storm will probably be a huge disappointment from here up through western New England and CT.

Still wrong. About 0.1 has fallen in NYC by 4pm

.3" falls by 7pm tonight, .4" falls from 7pm to 7am.

WED  1P 06-MAR   4.1    -5.5    1010      82      76    0.04     544     536   

WED  7P 06-MAR   1.4    -4.3    1010      94      92    0.26     544     535   

THU  1A 07-MAR   0.0    -2.4    1011      95      98    0.26     544     535   

THU  7A 07-MAR   0.3    -0.6    1012      90      99    0.13     546     537

NAM seems good, 3-5" with the coastal and another 4-6" with the trough? Is extreme SW CT OK in the trough, or do we rain? If HPN is snow I'm probably snow, does anyone have soundings for HPN?

We still get the same end result, just from the trough instead of the coastal...

Also keep in mind the NAM is by far the warmest with the trough, EURO has temps as a non issue for it.

Thanks

-skisheep

I wouldn't worry about rain with the inverted trough. The NAM seems out to lunch with the thermal profile on that, especially since every model is much colder at 850.

How much can be on the ground in Western Nassau County by 7AM tomm morning?

I'm not hugely optimistic for our area. We have to hope for heavier precip from that CCB on the south shore to dynamically cool the air somewhat. Otherwise we could just have slush and we have to rely on an often unreliable inverted trough.

I wouldn't worry about rain with the inverted trough. The NAM seems out to lunch with the thermal profile on that, especially since every model is much colder at 850.

Yeah, I think the EURO might have the right idea with that, it seems much more realistic than the NAM, which although it has a nice amount of QPF, just seems out to lunch...

-skisheep

Archived