e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Significant Ocean Storm March 6-8 2013 Discussion Part III

earthlight

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all most of the coastal precip does not fall during daylight hours that is just blatantly wrong. Surface warm yes but more than half falls after 4pm (ie hr 9 on). Second of all yanks fan the inverted trough would be snow as the rates increase with good vv's it's not an elevation special with no accums city and LI, that's pure speculation on your part (and wrong too)

We had a chance to get both, that's what the NAM was showing yesterday, oh well. I don't think anyone would complain if this was the final result.

agreed I like the trough better than the coastal... it was becoming apparent yesterday that it was our best shot and most of the models are clearly showing several with it

Hour 51 still getting hammered by the inverted trough, I'm sure the high res simulated radars are going to look very impressive. Heavy precip over the area. Snow for the interior, iffy at the surface for the city eastward as the surface freezing line begins to move out. Could actually be a brief period of freezing rain for the far interior. By hour 54 it starts to slide further SW and temps warm. Everyone likely flips to rain at the end.

Much of that will be during daylight hours with temps above freezing. But if I can squeeze out 3 to 4" of heavy wet snow tonight I'll be happy. Should be a nice pretty snowfall that sticks to everything.

I'm sorry. What?

Most of that is overnight tonight.

On the nam it's probably 2-4 slushy wet snow with the coastal and 6-10 on the inverted trough. Nuts. Lets cut inverted trough qpf in half and still 3-6

How is .70"-.85" for NYC to ISP, 2" of snow on the NAM?

Surface temps crash to 32 degrees for NYC as well.

NAM is 4"-6" at least for the coastal for NYC and LI.

It's weird how it just warms everything up after 48 hrs, daytime effect I'm guessing.

The NAM seems to be overwarming the 850mb layer, the Euro and other models are a lot colder. I wouldn't worry about it. Looks like some of this is daytime but heavy enough rates will overcome that. Still hard for me to buy 1.0" liquid with an inverted trough but it still could be a nice bonus.

NAM snow maps show 10"+ for the NW of I-287 folks. 12-15" at High Point, NJ. 12-15" for all of Orange County. Low end warning criteria just NW of the city. So 4-8" for the city and NE NJ and 6-12"+ for people 20-30 miles NW of the city. Would not be surprised to see someone 40 miles NW of the city exceed 18".

Total QPF

KMMU - 1.75"+

NYC - 1.75"+

All of Long Island - 1.75"+

Twin Forks 2.00"+

Sandy Hook 2.00"+

KPHL 1.75"+

Sussex 1.50-1.75"

KSWF 1.50"-1.75"

Mt. Pocono 1.50"+

Keep in mind that a lot of this is lost to poor surface temps from the city eastward.

Archived