amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 4th-6th Winter Storm Part 3

Powerball

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations to those living in the 2013 screw zone finally getting a decent storm.  It looks like the temperatures are actually cold enough for some decent ratios with this one!  I'm just getting the enhanced wind-chill here on the northern fringe. 

It's funny a lot of the area picked up close to an inch of liquid worth of concrete slop and sleet/drizzle with the Feb 26-27 storm but it was so warm the depth never got over 5" and that subsequently shrunk to 3" of crust you can almost walk on top of now.

Best flake size and rates of the event right now. Pretty surprising.

Yeah nice band right over MKE right now.

Some decent totals down in Racine and Kenosha. 

000NWUS53 KMKX 052249LSRMKXPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI449 PM CST TUE MAR 05 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0433 PM     SNOW             KENOSHA                 42.58N 87.82W03/05/2013  M5.5 INCH        KENOSHA            WI   TRAINED SPOTTER            STORM TOTAL0441 PM     SNOW             FRANKSVILLE             42.76N 87.91W03/05/2013  M5.5 INCH        RACINE             WI   TRAINED SPOTTER            STORM TOTAL

It is ripping here in NE Indiana! Snow has been coming down fast and furious since 4:30pm. Roads were just wet up until 4:30 and then the intensity picked up and it is quickly accumulating. Looks like several hours of accumulation coming now that this storm has started to pivot over the area.

Looking good up north. You're next,Indystorm.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

619 PM EST TUE MAR 05 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0619 PM SNOW 5 N LA PORTE 41.68N 86.72W

03/05/2013 M5.0 INCH LA PORTE IN TRAINED SPOTTER

2.5 INCHES SINCE 350 PM EST

Thinking I kind of got screwed on the snow totals here, in that there was probably a decent amount of compacting during the day.  There was over 2" when I left around 7am.  We definitely had to have received more than another 2.5" with the way it was ripping out there through early afternoon.  Much of this afternoon we had very light snow, and the skies had really brightened up.  Caused anything on the pavement to really melt down.  Guessing we lost at least an inch or two to compaction.  Unfortunately I wasn't here to measure at it's peak. 

I did shoot a time lapse all day today, and it's still going.  Gonna be curious to see if it picked up any compaction.  I stuck a ruler out in the yard, so it should be easy to see.

Archived