• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 4th-6th Winter Storm Part 3

Powerball

5" at 11pm. I don't think that band is going to get to us at full strength, but we might get one more good burst out of that.  The trees are really sagging around here. Several inches on the power lines.

Looks like you have a heavier band moving in now and a dry patch on the end of it. Hard to imagine we will get more than 5" south of Indy but if it goes for another 4 solid hours that would probably do it at this clip. As I sit here at work the interstates are in decent condition. We had a couple accidents at the 101 I65 marker. City streets are not so great in Greenwood. If temps were in the 20s this would have been a much different storm.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWUS53 KIWX 060355

LSRIWX

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

1054 PM EST TUE MAR 05 2013

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

1000 PM HEAVY SNOW 2 SW NORTH WEBSTER 41.31N 85.72W

03/05/2013 M9.0 INCH KOSCIUSKO IN NWS EMPLOYEE

STORM TOTAL SO FAR. HEAVY SNOW CONTINUING.

I feel like a little kid going out at midnight with a ruler and flashlight trudging around my back yard to get an average of 7.9 inches of snow from multiple measurements the old fashioned way with no snow board.   Thrilled and surprised that our biggest snow of the season comes in meteorological spring.

And talk about long duration, it snowed continously from 6:30am to 10:00pm

Pretty good for a March storm.

Blowing around a little bit here. If this was earlier in the season I'd be shoveling a section of my roof where a 2.5' drift is sitting.

Here's the time lapse I shot all day today from before sun up to past sun down.  Didn't turn out nearly as well as I hoped, as obviously the daytime snow was pretty lethargic.  Would have been a lot more interesting if the ground had started out bare too lol.  Oh well.

Even so.  Good idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Some pictures of snow piles and some drifting.

Next to the back porch. There is flower beds under there somewhere!

Right side is the lowest snow depth in the yard about 9", left is the result of drifting over the bushes in the back.

Snow pile out front - car for scale. Other side is just as high.

Hard to see maybe, but there's some drifting up along the berm in the back. Back side of the pond is filled to the brim with 2' of snow.

I feel like a little kid going out at midnight with a ruler and flashlight trudging around my back yard to get an average of 7.9 inches of snow from multiple measurements the old fashioned way with no snow board.   Thrilled and surprised that our biggest snow of the season comes in meteorological spring.

I've been stuck inside working all day.  i hear ya, was just out in it a while ago, definitely the biggest single day snow here.  My first winter in 25 years, i was feeling cheated ;)

0z Euro says we aren't done lol 6-8" Monday night-Tuesday.

Wouldn't that be something

Haha wow, I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Impressive cold looking more likely next week so there's gonna be a strong baroclinic zone setting up somewhere over the region. I never thought we'd come close to normal snowfall after the record slow start, now finishing the snow season at or even above normal is a distinct possibility. Crazy stuff. 

We're still rolling, I am well over a foot.  Just got back in from a drive around the country, primary roads and Highways are just now getting plowed.  Heavy snow cover and a good inch of ice underneath.  Secondary roads are nearly impassable, haven't been plowed, easily 3 foot drifts and still snowing and blowing snow.  Going to wait until we get a little light and post some pics.  Majority of our snow came between 3 pm and 9 pm.  Just measured around the lake and averaged 13 with some drifts up to 4 feet.  This reminds me of Indiana winters in the 70's ;)

000NWUS53 KIWX 060831LSRIWXPRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT...CORRECTEDNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA331 AM EST WED MAR 06 2013..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON.....DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....            ..REMARKS..0300 AM     HEAVY SNOW       2 N NORTH WEBSTER       41.36N  85.70W03/06/2013  M11.9 INCH       KOSCIUSKO          IN   NWS OFFICE            STORM TOTAL. 30 INCH SNOW DRIFTS.&&CORRECTED REMARKS

Are we done with winter?  Snow has finally stopped IMBY, gonna call 13 as a final total here.  Looking forward it will be interesting to see how this deep snow pack effects temps. this weekend.  I'm not a big model guy but the Euro is interesting.  Could we be in for a white St. Patty's this year lol?  

AFD from IWX......

.LONG TERM...FRIDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...AN UPPER LEVEL RIDGE WILL BUILD NORTHEASTTHIS PERIOD...FOLLOWED BY THE EJECTION OF A SHORT WAVE TROF EARLYNEXT WEEK. AHEAD OF THIS TROF...TEMPERATURES SHOULD RISE TO NEARNORMAL SATURDAY...THEN MUCH ABOVE NORMAL SUNDAY AS THE UPPER LEVELBUILDS INTO THE REGION. HAVE TEMPERED HIGHS SATURDAY GIVENANTICIPATED LINGERING SNOW COVER OVER THE CENTRAL PART OF THEFORECAST AREA. PREFER THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN THIS PACKAGE...BLENDEDWITH THE CIPS ANALOGS. CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT ENERGY WILLEJECT OUT OF THE MAIN TROF AND REACH THE AREA SUNDAY NIGHT. INITIALCONCERN WITH SNOW CORES EXCEEDING AN INCH OF WATER IN SOME AREASCOMBINED WITH THE ANALOG RAINFALL OF 0.75 TO 1.25 INCHES COULD LEADSOME RISES AND SOME FLOODING OF RIVERS. A MORE EASTERN TRACK OF THESURFACE LOW COULD BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW TO THE AREAABOUT MONDAY. FOR NOW...HAVE MENTIONED A CHANCE FOR RAIN OR SNOWMONDAY GIVEN THIS UNCERTAINTY. OTHERWISE...KEPT THE FORECAST DRYTHROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT FOLLOWED BY A CHANCE FOR RAIN SUNDAY ANDSUNDAY NIGHT...RAIN OR SNOW INTO MONDAY NIGHT.

Recorded 9", perhaps slightly more, maybe 9.2"  (measured in 3 different spots.)

Biggest snow of the season, which, from the extended forecast looks to be gone for the most part by late next week...   It will be good to see some sun tomorrow.  Comet PANSTARRS should be visible in the western sky within the next few days.  I need some nicer weather, and some clear nights. 

Pretty impressive snow storm, though, I have to say. Didn't expect to get more than 6 or 7 inches out of this. 

Archived