Newest Member
    e46ds1x
March 4-6 Winter Storm

snowlover2

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man,

Haven't followed this storm too closely over the weekend. Was quite excited to see the SREF, NAM, and GFS ... then I took a look at the Euro which shows basically nothing for northern Ohio. Definitely a bad sign locally when the Euro is the model that shows the least amount of snow. Without going back and reading this entire thread, has the Euro been locked into a track, trending, wobbling?

wobbling

Yeah, the WWBB meltdowns were something. I think that was the first time I had seen a meltdown due to weather. Totals ramped up very quickly east of NYC IIRC.

When you have national media converging in your town because 2-3 feet of snow is forecast in 2 days and you get nothing, THAT is when a meltdown should commence. It has become a joke what constitutes a meltdown these days :lol:

lol, this storm isn't even in the neighborhood of that one.

But, greatest bust I've ever seen for a forecasted historic/biblical storm. WWBB was a riot. Though, parts of New England did very well in the end.

Still remember that too vividly. Ended up with about 3" inches imby when most were calling for 2-3 feet even when the writing was on the wall as the precip began to break out along the coastal plain of the Delmarva. That was supposed to happen much further s/sw into VA/NC..

Still remember that too vividly. Ended up with about 3" inches imby when most were calling for 2-3 feet even when the writing was on the wall as the precip began to break out along the coastal plain of the Delmarva. That was supposed to happen much further s/sw into VA/NC..

2001:

I had never heard of weather discussion boards or newsgroups back then. I also didn't understand East Coast storms as well, but I knew it was out there.  I guess I must not have been watching the Weather Channel much either. I was just thinking: "Great. 18 degrees in March."

Not that I've been following this storm too closely, but I don't get that impression from the EURO. Except for one run were it came north a bit, I think either on 12z/Fri or 0z/Sat, it's been pretty steadfast with its more southerly track.

basically todays 12z was north of 00z, but 00z was south of yesterdays 12z (I THINK todays 12z was still a tad north of yesterdays 12z). I dont get euro maps so I just have to follow heresay. It has definitely been on the southern end of guidance, with only the UK as much or farther south

Not that I've been following this storm too closely, but I don't get that impression from the EURO. Except for one run were it came north a bit, I think either on 12z/Fri or 0z/Sat, it's been pretty steadfast with its more southerly track.

Figures. I won't get excited for anything more than an inch unless the Euro makes a move north. The Euro has been such a buzz kill here this winter.

Man,

Haven't followed this storm too closely over the weekend. Was quite excited to see the SREF, NAM, and GFS ... then I took a look at the Euro which shows basically nothing for northern Ohio. Definitely a bad sign locally when the Euro is the model that shows the least amount of snow. Without going back and reading this entire thread, has the Euro been locked into a track, trending, wobbling?

Euro was probably close to the current GFS yesterday afternoon...went south 0z last night and ticked back north 12z. Has not been consistent.

Not sure what model this is from, but this is DVN's map off their fb page. Has 10" for Hawkeye, 8" here. Over a foot northeast Iowa. Looks a little too dry for northeast IL.

12050_439491796131341_543973188_n.png

Ending Tuesday at 6. Still snowing for NE Ill at time

Figures. I won't get excited for anything more than an inch unless the Euro makes a move north. The Euro has been such a buzz kill here this winter.

I checked on wundermap. Josh is right that the 12z/3 run of the EURO is a bit further north than the 0z/3 run. CLE actually gets brushed. But it's a long ways away from the GFS/NAM.

Those were the good old days. I miss them.

You and me both. How time flies. ugh Ofcourse i was mainly just a browser and really did not start posting till later the following year ( 2002 ) after i had moved to Ohio. Was soo few of us back then on this side of the apps.

As were the epic battles. Thus DT vs meteo/rdale/jx etc. :popcorn:

I think rdale is with emergency management somewhere up in your area of MI, Harry. I've seen him logged into NWSChat on the IWX page frequently. I've never had the pleasure of sparring with him, but remember him from WWBB.

Ingham Co. maybe?

When you have national media converging in your town because 2-3 feet of snow is forecast in 2 days and you get nothing, THAT is when a meltdown should commence. It has become a joke what constitutes a meltdown these days :lol:

April 11 2007 I believe was up there as well. We all believed it to be the next super outbreak and left over rain ruined it. I guess what happened on April 27 verified though

I think rdale is with emergency management somewhere up in your area of MI, Harry. I've seen him logged into NWSChat on the IWX page frequently. I've never had the pleasure of sparring with him, but remember him from WWBB.

Ingham Co. maybe?

Yeah the Lansing area ( which is Ingham Co ) i do believe? I saw him post recently on the GRR facebook page. I myself never had any bad run ins with him either.

Ingham Co. maybe?

Yeah the Lansing area ( which is Ingham Co ) i do believe? I saw him post recently on the GRR facebook page. I myself never had any bad run ins with him either.

I used to read his storm forecasts on WLNS.... Did he get let go?

Geos is likely to have a tremendous snowpack after this one (not inconceivable to have 18-20") it will take some warm temps to melt that crusted pack.  Surely it will melt, but enough of the sun's energy will be required to melt it that the warmup expected will be muted initially in this part of the Midwest I would think.

Lol, yeah the 13-14" glacier will be coated with 6"+ of new snow. I was out today and there is snow piles 20 feet tall already! I can't imagine that NAM hires snowfall map coming true a few pages back. Going to be a while before I see the grass.

4-8" in my grid right now.

Archived