12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Late February 2013 Mid-Long Range Discussion

TUweathermanDD

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like I need to be watching closer than I have been the last couple of days.  Despite being a little east of where we watn it, the euro look is worth watching. 

I am not going to feign disinterest....But even with the suppression, I hate these storms, because we all know what happens..NJ and SNE get killed and we get pixie dust

I am not going to feign disinterest....But even with the suppression, I hate these storms, because we all know what happens..NJ and SNE get killed and we get pixie dust

Going by what the bulk of the models are giving us, I just don't see SNE in the game here.  Our most likely negative outcome is that this thing just doesn't wrap up until it is well off the coast.

Going by what the bulk of the models are giving us, I just don't see SNE in the game here.  Our most likely negative outcome is that this thing just doesn't wrap up until it is well off the coast.

With the confluence up that way, I tend to agree.  FWIW, none of the GFS ensemble members have it so far north that we get missed and SNE gets hit.  

Is there any reason other than wishcasting why we might think the trough will go negative sooner?

Psychosis.

I'm not allowing myself to be lured into any solution that is both wet and cold until I'm looking at my thermometer at about 27, and watching dark greens roll into my area on radar.  Don't get me wrong, I want it to happen, but a month ago I said that this would be the final kick, a strong storm modeled right up to about 24 hours that just disappears. 

In seriousness though, the one reason I could think of, would be as we head into March the tendancy for the wavelenghts to shorten would aid in a more consolidated H5 solution versus the GFS that continues to play the H5 low over the Lakes/Northeast off the vort diving in under it and running interference.  Sesonal trends this year argue the GFS is right, but the time of year might argue this time could be different.  ALso the PNA will help this time, and allow this to dig more.  THose are my 2 reasons for hope. 

Is there any reason other than wishcasting why we might think the trough will go negative sooner?

I would think the entire track of the sw is in question at this point. A whole lot of stuff has to happen in front of it. Lotsa wobbling around @ h5 to our north for the next 4-5 days. 

I've been watching the weekend just in case a miracle happened but never was and isn't currently a remote possibility. However, the evolution @ 500 has been changing quite a bit every single run. It's well within reason to think that the squashing confluence the gfs has been showing won't be an issue at all. 

Considering we've had almost 2 complete back to back no win seasons the only new ballgame is one that we win. So, we are either going to be the 76 bucs redux or the 90 patriots.

well, my thinking was, most late season events (end of Feb-March) seem to be contrary to what went on during the heart of the winter season

even 09/10 saw a change in the pattern come the end of Feb (which ended up screwing us, but you get the point) so that's basically my thinking on why Matt should hold onto some weenie hope

I would think the entire track of the sw is in question at this point. A whole lot of stuff has to happen in front of it. Lotsa wobbling around @ h5 to our north for the next 4-5 days. 

I've been watching the weekend just in case a miracle happened but never was and isn't currently a remote possibility. However, the evolution @ 500 has been changing quite a bit every single run. It's well within reason to think that the squashing confluence the gfs has been showing won't be an issue at all. 

Good point.  Several of these storms that have been advertised and faded and each one did because the 500 pattern that became reality was nothing like what was modeled a week out.  If the pattern of the winter holds, the trough will be either right over or east of us, and any storms will be by us before they can become anything worthwhile.

The chances that the upper levels evolve exactly as modeled 8 days out is approaching 0.  So, in the variety of solutions offered, some could at least have a different interaction between our vort and the blocking upstream.

And its boring to talk about storms that slide off the coast from a week out.

Good point.  Several of these storms that have been advertised and faded and each one did because the 500 pattern that became reality was nothing like what was modeled a week out.  If the pattern of the winter holds, the trough will be either right over or east of us, and any storms will be by us before they can become anything worthwhile.

It is noteworthy that all globals are showing the same track give or take right now. CMC and JMA (among others) look just like the gfs and euro in some respects. There is very good consensus that this particular shortwave is real and it's track is more than a fantasy. Doesn't mean we cash in or anything but I'm modestly confident that it will be a close call even if it's a miss. 

Archived