• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

You know, have to give a slight edge on this one around here to the Euro. The majority of our precip was frozen or non-accumulating frozen, which was what the Euro had. Also had more of a rain chance up around Williamsport. The GFS had us getting mostly rain and there were no hints of this current snow. I suppose you could make an argument it was a draw but based on the literal portrayals of this storm, it was pretty damn good. 

This was not what the GFS "had in mind" for State College this morning: 

live.jpg?system=pub&webid=25500&pubtoken

I had a feeling that UNV/AOO would get more snow or frozen than rain with this one just based on how other borderline situations have panned out there. The Susquehanna Valley even up to IPT was a lot tougher, as we saw. But this wrap around snow should mean that everyone gets in on the fun at least for a while. Hopefully this can drop another few inches or so.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol @ Euro in the D7-8 range. Brings up a Gulf low and cuts it off on the VA coastline with a significant to major snow event in most of PA (especially southern 1/2 to 2/3rds). The pattern could certainly allow for that scenario... our luck with getting the big storm this year in a place to actually deliver something significant to a widespread part of PA is a different story. 

If I had 1" of snow everytime the models at day 7 showed me getting a snowstorm, I'd have 50" instead of the 12" or so I currently have.

If I had 1" of snow everytime the models at day 7 showed me getting a snowstorm, I'd have 50" instead of the 12" or so I currently have.

Hahaha right on canderson. Im done with this day 8 stuff. I just want low 50s and sun.

But we're in a different pattern than we were. Patterns change. We have blocking now, something that is new. I've named some years in previous posts where March had snow after a fairly snowless winter. 

Can you all share some of that snow this way please - your lower lower Sus Valley friends in Lancaster county :whistle:

And the potential is always there for something to happen. You should read the posts from Don Sutherland in the Medium Range Discussion. I am hoping March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lion. Come on SNOW! :snowing:

Can you all share some of that snow this way please - your lower lower Sus Valley friends in Lancaster county :whistle:

And the potential is always there for something to happen. You should read the posts from Don Sutherland in the Medium Range Discussion. I am hoping March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lion. Come on SNOW! :snowing:

Sure, sounds good to me. Hope you get something before it's really over. 

The Euro Weeklies look like the CPC's warm March forecast is in trouble.

Wow, I've never seen such giant flakes before!

Yeah, they are impressive. About 4-5 winters ago we had a minor 3-4 inch event that had larger ones. They were so large they made little thud noises as they hit. Crazy. 

Snowing burt will good precip ever make it our way...or die out. Remains the question.

Nice, man. Hope it holds together. 

You know, a few times over the past several years PSUHoffman has popped into our thread from the Mid Atlantic one. He really seems to know his stuff and does well at sniffing out chances. He has been saying that he likes the 3/1-3/10 time

period for his area, I would have to assume that would apply to us LSV folks as well. I'm going with him on this.

Bumped from last week...come on, let's do this next week!

Jm we are snow now even with light rates will that band make it to ipt or do you think it will dry up?

Looks like you guys should get at least something from it as it heads NE. The area of frontogenesis driving that band doesn't look to be dying anytime soon. Models showed this backlash snow developing last night in response to dynamics shifting east so you guys should at least salvage something.

Bumped from last week...come on, let's do this next week!

I think we have a couple legit chances before the pattern breaks down. Blocking is just now getting into a good spot for us. Pna going + too. Usually there is a lag and our best shots come as the pattern matures. I think the march 6-10 period looks good then I think towards the 15 we might get another shot if the pattern reloads. You can't get a more loaded setup then a +Pna -nao with blocking where it is in march.

I think we have a couple legit chances before the pattern breaks down. Blocking is just now getting into a good spot for us. Pna going + too. Usually there is a lag and our best shots come as the pattern matures. I think the march 6-10 period looks good then I think towards the 15 we might get another shot if the pattern reloads. You can't get a more loaded setup then a +Pna -nao with blocking where it is in march.

<weenie> So you're saying we'll have a repeat of the storm of the century? </weenie>

Thank you, you really should post here more often. One, your climo fits our area much better than the mid atlantic, and two...we have the friendliest sub forum around.

Thank you, you really should post here more often. One, your climo fits our area much better than the mid atlantic, and two...we have the friendliest sub forum around.

I will, I just know the poeple down there more from my time living in the DC area.  My dates might be a bit off, but I think we have two windows to watch.  The first is next week...I am not sure about this system the Euro goes nuts with.  It does that by merging the system diving into the trough with the H5 low over the lakes and thus allowing the flow to back along the east coast and we get a bomb.  That goes against every seasonal trend this year, and is not supported by the ensembles or any other guidance.  Its possible, but I put it at low probability.  Usually with these type setups we get some supression at first, then as the pattern matures we see it relax enough to allow storms to amplify, and that is when our window is.  The storm day 7-9 might have a shot, but after that I definitely like our chances for something.  The block is not just going to go away easy like a couple runs of the GFS had yesterday.  I think we have a window from about March 7th to March 22nd or so... I think somewhere in there things might relax a bit, before one final amplification of the trough before the pattern breaks down.  I just wish this was a month ago, we are getting a little late for those of us in southern PA or near the MD border. 

Agreed...Manchester MD is practically PA anyway. 

Archived