Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA - Second Half of February 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waupelani. :P

Gotcha. Maybe I'm being too much of a weenie, but I feel like in situations like this the immediate downtown area doesn't do as well as say Park Avenue and places higher up/further out. I think I'm just looking for an excuse for any upsides of living on campus my sophomore year though ;)

Lol it started precip at 515 here and will be over by 1030...these systems haul arse through PA.

You don't know how to look at radar if you think that....

You have at least several hours left, and its snowing just north and west of you.

Some of us arent even in the game, so be happy for what you got.  Next week we'll get ours.

Nut

Some lighter precip regenerating behind the main stuff. Despite the light intensity it is making it to the ground as all snow here, thus I would speculate the column is starting to cool off. Mesoanalysis supports that notion looking at the 700, 850, and 925mb plots. A pocket of subzero 850 temps has established itself in the central counties and much colder 700mb temps are advecting into PA from the west after cracking above 0C at that level in the southwestern parts of C-PA (Laurels) earlier in the event. More pronounced warmth probably snuck in somewhere between that 850-700mb region at some point making for more of a sleet/rain event than a thump snow in the central counties. Hence the real fine line we had with this. 

Next question is if we can get some more precip to develop and/or get some of the back end into parts of the area overnight. Latest full HRRR run seemed open to developing another slug of precip in the daybreak hours. Will have to see how ensuing runs evolve with that possibility. 

post-1507-0-04052100-1361936342_thumb.pn

Lol @ Euro in the D7-8 range. Brings up a Gulf low and cuts it off on the VA coastline with a significant to major snow event in most of PA (especially southern 1/2 to 2/3rds). The pattern could certainly allow for that scenario... our luck with getting the big storm this year in a place to actually deliver something significant to a widespread part of PA is a different story. 

Lol @ Euro in the D7-8 range. Brings up a Gulf low and cuts it off on the VA coastline with a significant to major snow event in most of PA (especially southern 1/2 to 2/3rds). The pattern could certainly allow for that scenario... our luck with getting the big storm this year in a place to actually deliver something significant to a widespread part of PA is a different story.

Wow, it does look nice.

Snowing again here. Might be able to pick up another inch before it warms up.

You know, have to give a slight edge on this one around here to the Euro. The majority of our precip was frozen or non-accumulating frozen, which was what the Euro had. Also had more of a rain chance up around Williamsport. The GFS had us getting mostly rain and there were no hints of this current snow. I suppose you could make an argument it was a draw but based on the literal portrayals of this storm, it was pretty damn good. 

This was not what the GFS "had in mind" for State College this morning: 

live.jpg?system=pub&webid=25500&pubtoken

Looks like some of us are getting a good few hours of solid snow as the "deform band" forms and moves through. The EURO was showing this for at least a few runs. 

Here in UNV we are getting light/mod snow and the frontogenesis overhead will continue to strengthen the band:

post-1406-0-09437100-1361972351_thumb.pn

It would not surprise me to see areas of 2-4" with this.

Archived