EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Feb 16-17 Threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This prediction map leans fairly heavily on the GEM and any shift in the track indicated either way would shift the snowfall contours, also any more rapid deepening than shown on that track could boost amounts in e MA and se NH in particular. Maximum potential about 24 in (60 cm) near Woodstock NB and Houlton ME. Some specific predictions:

Boston 7.5"

Worcester 4.5"

Providence 4.0" (really 6 normal inches)

Chatham MA 9.5"

Concord 12.5"

Portland 17"

Bangor 19"

Augusta 15"

most of CT 3-5 inches but could be a lot higher if the storm explosively deepens before passing 41N.

In Nova Scotia, a snow to freezing rain to rain mix will limit amounts especially Halifax east. Phase change will only affect NS (except possibly Digby-Yarmouth) and e PEI, briefly s.e. NB.

Winds NNE backing NW 40-60 mph in Portland and Boston, 50-70 mph over the Cape and islands.

This may be close to a non-event for metro NYC but will say 1-3 inches possible, to 2-5 inches over most of Long Island.

post-313-0-75482600-1360961718_thumb.jpg

SNOWFALL PREDICTION -- Inches -- valid 00z Feb 16 to 12z Feb 18 2013

May post an update if guidance changes substantially. Everything depends on where this begins to deepen, more than track at this point.

NCEP said it best today.

THE SOLUTIONS HAVE NOT CONVERGED YET TIMING-WISE SO THE PATH OF
LEAST REGRET IS TO USE CONSENSUS UNTIL THE SPREAD OF SOLUTIONS
CLOSES.

Just wait and see.   Looking at the maps it'll come down to the strength of the digging s/w.  The first piece coming out of S/Dakota right now looks okay at best, second piece coming across northern Mexico....it's really what those two do together over the Big Easy later that matters.  If they get cranking, all bets are off.  Looks kind of weak sauce right now though.

This prediction map leans fairly heavily on the GEM and any shift in the track indicated either way would shift the snowfall contours, also any more rapid deepening than shown on that track could boost amounts in e MA and se NH in particular. Maximum potential about 24 in (60 cm) near Woodstock NB and Houlton ME. Some specific predictions:

Boston 7.5"

Worcester 4.5"

Providence 4.0" (really 6 normal inches)

Chatham MA 9.5"

Concord 12.5"

Portland 17"

Bangor 19"

Augusta 15"

most of CT 3-5 inches but could be a lot higher if the storm explosively deepens before passing 41N.

In Nova Scotia, a snow to freezing rain to rain mix will limit amounts especially Halifax east. Phase change will only affect NS (except possibly Digby-Yarmouth) and e PEI, briefly s.e. NB.

Winds NNE backing NW 40-60 mph in Portland and Boston, 50-70 mph over the Cape and islands.

This may be close to a non-event for metro NYC but will say 1-3 inches possible, to 2-5 inches over most of Long Island.

attachicon.giffeb1618.jpg

SNOWFALL PREDICTION -- Inches -- valid 00z Feb 16 to 12z Feb 18 2013

May post an update if guidance changes substantially. Everything depends on where this begins to deepen, more than track at this point.

I hope your verification scores are high................ :)

BOX issues watches for ern PYM County, CC and the Islands for 4-8, but said it could be more or less depending on track.

The euro still has a good deformation zone over the area which signifies a red flag to me for higher amounts possible...just looked at the weenie maps now. I'm still not feeling a big event at the moment...but hopefully a 2-4 deal here.

Guys it's clear as day what's going on.  The NAM and the eastern camp focus more on the southern s/w coming across northern Mexico right now.  Loop at 500mb.  They shoot that out never really phasing with the other s/w energy coming out of the Plains.  The major low develops in conjunction with that ejected s/w.

The GFS says hold the bus, phases the two s/ws between 9z and 12z Saturday which then bombs the low closer to the coast.

The NAM is going to be trash I think, but the GFS could be overdone.  Regardless of what the models show in the next 6-12 hours, we'll know in the morning.  If the s/w in the based of the trough looks like crap, we're hosed aside of the weaker snows.  If we've got a s/w with drying evident behind it by morning, get out the shovels at least in eastern areas.

BOX issues watches for ern PYM County, CC and the Islands for 4-8, but said it could be more or less depending on track.

The euro still has a good deformation zone over the area which signifies a red flag to me for higher amounts possible...just looked at the weenie maps now. I'm still not feeling a big event at the moment...but hopefully a 2-4 deal here.

How were the Ens scooteroo?

Box has been like sending in Mike Seidel for my neighborhood.  No watches/advisories we get 2" per hour snows in the middle of the night, watches we get windblown dust bunnies.  bad juju

Archived