e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Feb 16-17 Threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That might end up beign a pretty good weenie band from the first round over the interior. The parameters look pretty good for it looking at the mesoanalysis ad the RAP forecasts for the next 9-12 hours or so.

May end up being the only band if we continue the east shifts on guidance....... :)

Rgem is better...so close. Drops 25 mb in 12 hours

Yeah looked like advisory for eastern areas...maybe even back to ORH. We still lose it too quickly though to give big snows even to the Cape...it pokes a nice initial band up into the eastern half of SNE but then everything slides east pretty fast.

I can't multi quote...but agree with all of you. We need the couple of s/ws to pop later tonight. If we see a strengthening s/w later tonight we may be game on.

This isn't even a bomb, this is atomic. We are talking 40-50mb in 24 hours. Wow

I can't remember exactly which year, it may have been 2001-2002, but there was a storm that missed well east that went from 1004 to 948mb in less than 24 hours as it slammed across NS - that was during that epic year where they had like 15' on the level up there. 

I can't remember exactly which year, it may have been 2001-2002, but there was a storm that missed well east that went from 1004 to 948mb in less than 24 hours as it slammed across NS - that was during that epic year where they had like 15' on the level up there. 

Its down yonder from here...... ;)

2000-2001 was the winter they had 15 feet of snow...but I'm wondering if you aren;t thinking of the year before that with the January 20, 2000 storm. We got scraped by it, but it superbombed (like 50mb in 24 hours) down into the 948 range. There were like two NGM runs that brought it close enough to give BOS 4" of liquid, which is nearly unheard of even on the WRF/ETA models, nevermind the old dry NGM model. Boston mets were so unsure of what to do. I remember Harvey upped his forecast to like 6-10" while others went even higher but Harvey stated that some models were giving Boston an epic blizzard, but he just wasn't quite biting on it yet....turned out to be a prudent move as the storm eventually missed wide right and we all ended up with around 3 or 4" of snow except the outer Cape got 8-10"

2000-2001 was the winter they had 15 feet of snow...but I'm wondering if you aren;t thinking of the year before that with the January 20, 2000 storm. We got scraped by it, but it superbombed (like 50mb in 24 hours) down into the 948 range. There were like two NGM runs that brought it close enough to give BOS 4" of liquid, which is nearly unheard of even on the WRF/ETA models, nevermind the old dry NGM model. Boston mets were so unsure of what to do. I remember Harvey upped his forecast to like 6-10" while others went even higher but Harvey stated that some models were giving Boston an epic blizzard, but he just wasn't quite biting on it yet....turned out to be a prudent move as the storm eventually missed wide right and we all ended up with around 3 or 4" of snow except the outer Cape got 8-10"

Yup, that's the one - I thought it was that same year but it was more like that same era in my life. Yeah, that was just the most ridiculously powerful thing on satellite... Makes the blizzard the other day a distant bumble. 

I still think this has a chance to surprise and really pop west in shorter range.  The problem I am having with this is that I am not entirely convinced the primary baroclinic zone/frontal slope will be advective very far off the coast. It's almost like the NAM runs have been placing that too far east of the trough axis prior to the main jet dynamics rounding the base of the trough.  The bump west tonight might just be the beginning of the model(s) honing in on that. The low isn't going to detonate in the warm air east of boundary

I still think this has a chance to surprise and really pop west in shorter range. The problem I am having with this is that I am not entirely convinced the primary baroclinic zone/frontal slope will be advective very far off the coast. It's almost like the NAM runs

have been placing that too far east of the trough axis prior to the main jet dynamics rounding the base of the trough. The bump west tonight might just be the beginning of the model(s) honing in on that. The low isn't going to detonate in the warm air east of boundary

Agree may be a function of the problems aloft. The last few systems threw the heavy band further north than modeled. This will do the same.

Great having dialogue dealing with the finer details of this potentail. It's been a powderkeg for 4 days. Just a minut difference in timing and development. The last few runs 12Z, 18Z and present run of the GFS, the height rises in the maritimes, multiple s/w, nuetral trough that appears to want to go negative each succesive run.        

Archived