12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 16-17 Threat

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice way to back up snowfall is through nearby obs..so long as the station is working. For instance 1/2SM SN is about 1" per hour. However, this is dependent on ratios. You can have 3/4sm -SN and if it's just fluff falling..it can stack up.

Yeah but part of the problem is the density of obs is wider than the bands that have been dumping all the snow this week.  Look at the event the other night, 4" here at least,  NWS employee had 4" down the road but there were no nearby official stations anywhere near that. 

This one presented enormous challenges.  I'm confident with the total because precip never really ended even last night, we always had flurries, 6.5"ish plus 1/2"...even if someone wanted to argue over the 7" today, the 6.5 plus 1/2 makes it work too.

It's impossible to measure accurately with 40 mph gusts.  I don't think we can be accurate within 20% to be honest.

well this storm is much farther offshore obviously but this one doesn't have the subtropical feed that the last one did right??

is this storm gonna put down two to three feet somewhere in the canadian maritimes or extreme downeast maine?

still two powerhouse storms a week apart says something i think about the atmosphere being ripe for big storms and its way more interesting than last winter thats for sure

Central pressure now 952 mbs as center makes landfall east of Halifax, generally it's not a very dynamic storm within 150 miles of that point (recent obs near center 3 C winds SE 24 km/hr, typical wind speeds a bit further out 50-80 km/hr), band of largely moderate snow 150-300 miles from center across NB and eastern Maine, looks like 18" maximum potential (near YFC) perhaps peaking at 24" in east-central NB. This has moved 100-200 miles east of the earlier predicted track on RGEM which has robbed most of northern New England of perhaps 6-9 inches of accumulation. Boston and s.e. MA did pretty well considering the actual track. 

Longer term, I figure there will be a warm spell for 2-3 weeks near end of month and early March, then perhaps winter's last stand in mid to late March, one more decent storm in other words.

Archived