joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 18th-19th Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thermals with this storm are really interesting. With the arctic high pressure locked in place across Quebec, temps are going to likely be below freezing when the precipitation start in Toronto. So ZR or PL. However, because the storm is occluding, most of the mid level warming gets shut off, even though SW winds at the surface are eventually going to bring 2M temps above freezing. So it's quite possible we could have a ZR/PL -> WTSN transition. Don't see that every day.

Hopefully we'll get an inch of snow behind the system. Looksl ike there could be a flash freeze Tuesday night with highs in the low 20s expected on Wednesday.

I'm thinking 5-10" here Mon night/Wed time frame. The bigger deal may be the blowing snow. There's an awful lot of powder lying around.

Looks that way. It's funny, you live within 250 miles of most of the posters on this sub-forum, but average like 3 times the amount of snow. As a kid I always used to jokingly curse the settlers of Detroit for focusing our states economy and population around the lowest average snowfall location in the state.

Looks that way. It's funny, you live within 250 miles of most of the posters on this sub-forum, but average like 3 times the amount of snow. As a kid I always used to jokingly curse the settlers of Detroit for focusing our states economy and population around the lowest average snowfall location in the state.

Today my forecast was a 20% chance of flurries and I got 2.5".  It's really a small micro climate along the shore up here.

I think I'm around 80-90" for the season so far.

Today my forecast was a 20% chance of flurries and I got 2.5".  It's really a small micro climate along the shore up here.

I think I'm around 80-90" for the season so far.

Most of northern lower averages 80-130 inches, Kalkaska and a few other spots are close to 180.

Most of northern lower averages 80-130 inches, Kalkaska and a few other spots are close to 180.

Of course this is just an averagebut this is what APX has.

attachicon.gifAnnual_snowAvg.png

Is there some sort of downslope effect in NE lower south of Alpena? It seems odd that most of those places average AOB what Detroit would see in a normal winter.

Of course this is just an averagebut this is what APX has.

Annual_snowAvg.png

Is there some sort of downslope effect in NE lower south of Alpena? It seems odd that most of those places average AOB what Detroit would see in a normal winter.

Minimal LES and just north of the usual synoptic storm tracks.

There is. They do better than us in number of snowcover days, and it's beautiful country up there, but I would NEVER want to live "up north" and get no more snow than Detroit on average. Its actually fascinating to check the daily reports and see how often the snow is deeper in SE MI than that portion of NE MI. I have noticed this the last few years. We actually embarrassed them with snowfall from 2007-08 thru 2010-11.

When you take LES out of the equation, most places in the state only average 40-60 inches per season.

So that's probably a better reason for the lower averages (lack of significant LES) than downsloping, although I'm sure it's a factor.

When you take LES out of the equation, most places in the state only average 40-60 inches per season.

So that's probably a better reason for the lower averages (lack of significant LES) than downsloping, although I'm sure it's a factor.

I think downsloping's the bigger factor. Taking topography out of the equation, latitude alone should bring those areas of NE lower closer to 50". As a comparison, here in Ontario, the areas just NE of Toronto, that don't see much LES, average around 60".

Just to clarify, I understand lack of LES reduces totals in NE lower. But for totals to be THAT LOW, there has to be another factor.

I think downsloping's the bigger factor. Taking topography out of the equation, latitude alone should bring those areas of NE lower closer to 50". As a comparison, here in Ontario, the areas just NE of Toronto, that don't see much LES, average around 60".

Just to clarify, I understand lack of LES reduces totals in NE lower. But for totals to be THAT LOW, there has to be another factor.

The downsloping influences for eastern MI are referenced all the time in APX's afd's, so you're right, it's a big factor.

BTW... this event is gonna produce up here. A watch is in place for upwards of a foot of snow.

6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. PERIODS OF

HEAVY SNOW...SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...AND POOR

VISIBILITY.

so no doubt with a serious L Superior connection and prolonged trajectories, someone will see 15"+.

The downsloping influences for eastern MI are referenced all the time in APX's afd's, so you're right, it's a big factor.

BTW... this event is gonna produce up here. A watch is in place for upwards of a foot of snow.

6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY. PERIODS OF

HEAVY SNOW...SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...AND POOR

VISIBILITY.

so no doubt with a serious L Superior connection and prolonged trajectories, someone will see 15"+.

How much snow would you say you have had this winter so far Bo?

How much snow would you say you have had this winter so far Bo?

I'd say 80+.  Gaylord is right around 100".  They've been hit a few times early in the season that I wasn't and I've gotten some later events they didn't but I still feel they've had more.  Traverse city is sitting only at 51" (well below), but I can remember getting nailed numerous times when they were shut out completely.  Overall, my research paid off and I picked a spot that get's NW, NNW, W, WNW, and WSW flow events.

I'd say 80+.  Gaylord is right around 100".  They've been hit a few times I didn't early in the season and I've gotten some events they didn't but I still feel they've had more.  Traverse city is sitting only at 51" (well below), but I can remember getting nailed numerous times when they were shut out completely.  Overall, my research paid off and I picked a spot that get's NW, NNW, W, WNW, and WSW flow events.

80" is very nice, with the snow you have coming too, excellent research done by you.

Archived