joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 18th-19th Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confident on a high impact storm in the center of the country...naso confident we see anything other than heavy rain. Storm 1 will trend quicker and unphased and storm 2 will trend warm and west.

Timing/spacing issues are certainly big questions for the second event. But if the first one trends faster, why couldn't the second one trend faster too? (just wondering out loud)

Timing/spacing issues are certainly big questions for the second event. But if the first one trends faster, why couldn't the second one trend faster too? (just wondering out loud)

totally different animals with the 500mb vort....storm 1 is weak sauce, storm 2 is a big dog that will dig deep into the baja region and those always take their time.  FWIW, Euro continues to advertise a large system with #2...torching just east of Chicago but looks to be occluding.

totally different animals with the 500mb vort....storm 1 is weak sauce, storm 2 is a big dog that will dig deep into the baja region and those always take their time. FWIW, Euro continues to advertise a large system with #2...torching just east of Chicago but looks to be occluding.

Euro seems a lot more amplified than the GFS. Surface low starts out a lot farther south but then makes a hard left.

Euro seems a lot more amplified than the GFS. Surface low starts out a lot farther south but then makes a hard left.

The OP GFS was very close and a few of the ensemble members were tanks.  I think even the lamest evolution will be a healthy storm with the ceiling being something monster.

Only you and I (and a few others) can understand why this is chuckle-worthy...

If that is the case, I prefer a miss to the southeast. I don't feel like seeing puddles and mud yet.

+1

I think the first system will put down a fairly narrow band of snow. Hopefully enough members can be under that band. 12z GFS would be ok with me.

Haha. The GFS has it's good days, but last week early on it was not doing so hot.

Anyway, I think a snow band about 75-100 miles wide from IL somewhere to your area is probably in the works.

OHweather's ideas about the excessive progressiveness of the stream of s/ws enter N America indeed might prevent any substantial phasing between the two streams. A lot of the 18z GEFS members are depicting an unphased basic fropa, with little upper level dynamics. 

Only thing I've ruled out is a deep storm cutting towards GRB or something along those lines.

Becoming more apparent this will be a fail. Oh well. Our gazes have been focused on the future anyway.

Yep.  Looks to make for an exciting afternoon-evening rush though.  Could be another seriously slippery mess here.  There's enough frost in the ground here that any running/standing water on the roads freezes instantly before it has a chance to run off or dry out.  It's especially hazardous when you get an insulating layer of back-end snow on top of the ice.

Archived