joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 18th-19th Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta move to the a LES belt. Or at least drive up to one some day to experience the phenomenon. :D

Sounds awesome for all of you getting some intense rates tonight.

for sure man!  it's crazy ass stuff. :lol:

point 'cast alone has me at 8" tonight on top of the 6" from today.

Snow showers with widespread blowing snow. Low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -7. Blustery, with a north wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around 8 inches.

I gotta move to the a LES belt. Or at least drive up to one some day to experience the phenomenon. :D

Sounds awesome for all of you getting some intense rates tonight.

Yes you do! It's incredible. I once seen 3 feet in one weekend back in Jan 97' around Mancelona, MI (damn that sounds like I'm old) 

That was incredible -- total whiteout. Still ripping snow. It's impossible to measure with all the drifting snow, but there is a 1.5 ft drift on the walkway that appeared in the last 30 minutes and feet burying fluff on the driveway and sidewalk with huge drifts covering the sidewalks. Where did all this snow come from?? 

We've been upgraded to a warning. 

Edit, that band is sliding south fast. Snow is already done here. Can't believe that just 20 minutes ago you couldn't see the neighbours house.

Wow, looks like a great band! Did you grab any video? Also very interesting comment at the end of the snow squall warning haha:

Snow squall warning for 
Kitchener - Cambridge - Region of Waterloo continued

Frequent near zero visibility from heavy snow and blowing snow in snowsqualls tonight and Wednesday.

Weather radar shows that quite a few snow squalls have developed in a stiff and cold westerly flow of fresh Arctic air from Lake Huron. The strongest snow squall is extending inland from Grand Bend right to Cambridge and continues to inch very slowly to the south. A Canwarn trained spotter reported near zero visibility in heavy snow and blowing snow near Conestoga mall in North Waterloo at 11.10 PM Tuesday evening.

Local snowfall amounts up to 15 cm in 12 hours are possible in regions that receive a snowsquall or two. Strong and gusty westerly winds are also whipping up the freshly fallen snow and causing very low visibility in blowing snow in many areas.

Web cams and mto reports have been showing poor to nil visibility in a number of locales tonight.

Motorists travelling into the area should allow much extra time to reach their destination due to hazardous winter driving conditions. Visibility will often be suddenly reduced to near zero due to blowing snow and bursts of heavy snow as the snowsquall arrives.

Winter has won the latest battle with early spring and has returned with a vengeance. Cold Arctic air flowing over the relatively mild waters of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay will generate lake effect flurries and snowsqualls tonight and Wednesday.

Nice pics hm! I cannot believe what a snow magnet ARB is. Any idea what their season total is? We had a dusting that blew away in the wind earlier. Although, it is a nice wall of white outside, like a dense fog almost, as that band sinks through. Quickly whitening everything up. Webcams look like they got like at least an inch in Taylor JUST north of me, not sure Ill get that though.

Yeah I know it's been nuts. UofM is at 46.1" on the season. 22 of the past 30 days have had at least an inch on the ground and 27 at least a trace.

And Stebo all the colored houses here are Co op I think... Some are way more tacky than that

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

This driveway was clear aside from some drifting through 945 pm with about an inch earlier this afternoon. No idea how much is fallen snow from the LES band or drifting snow. The road has about 2"+ covering it, the deck about 3", the driveway about 4"+.

It seems like the band was over you for like half an hour and you got that much?? Wow. The term "ripping" is overused I think but in your case it was probably true.

Managed a whopping 0.3" here from the band. All adds up though on the march to 40" and a "near normal" winter.

It seems like the band was over you for like half an hour and you got that much?? Wow. The term "ripping" is overused I think but in your case it was probably true.

Managed a whopping 0.3" here from the band. All adds up though on the march to 40" and a "near normal" winter.

There was a ton of drifting especially after the first squall went through and gave the wind something to kick up. We probably got 1-2" in total, but it didn't stick to the frozen snowpack. Maybe it was more... not sure.

deepest snow i've ever seen in my life. gonna take 'til April to melt it all :D:

0904 AM     SNOW             ALBA                    45.00N 84.90W
02/20/2013  M7.0 INCH        ANTRIM             MI   SPOTTER

24 HR TOTAL THRU 8 AM. SNOW DEPTH 28 IN.

deepest snow i've ever seen in my life. gonna take 'til April to melt it all :D:

0904 AM     SNOW             ALBA                    45.00N 84.90W

02/20/2013  M7.0 INCH        ANTRIM             MI   SPOTTER

24 HR TOTAL THRU 8 AM. SNOW DEPTH 28 IN.

attachicon.gifsnow 009.JPG

"gonna take till April to melt it all"

I lived just SE of TC from '90 to '97 so I know what you're experiencing.

Heck, the way this season is going, it may get deeper before the Spring thaw.

The last permanent glacier usually melted completely by tax day (15-Apr), then it was only come-n-go coverings through May.

My house did face North though, so folks facing South lost theirs sooner than me.

Have fun with it man, and glad you are posting with us lowly flat-landers..

The last permanent glacier usually melted completely by tax day (15-Apr), then it was only come-n-go coverings through May.

My house did face North though, so folks facing South lost theirs sooner than me.

Have fun with it man, and glad you are posting with us lowly flat-landers..

My house faces NE with a big hill behind it.  I lose direct sunlight by mid afternoon.  I've been told by a neighbor that this area holds on to snow the longest because of the sun angle when everyone elses is gone.  By that point tho, I'll be wishing it gone, I'm sure.

Funny you say "flatlander"....lol  I've heard that term used a lot since I've been to describe down-staters.

Been snowing mood flakes all afternoon.  Maybe an inch since noon.

Have fun with it man, and glad you are posting with us lowly flat-landers.

The biggest of snow piles will probably not be gone til May (obviously by that point the ground will be long bare). Mall piles sometimes last til mid April here.

Difficult to measure, but my estimate is 3.75"+ of snow fell between yesterday afternoon and tonight. Will have to see what the airport says tomorrow.

IF I had to guess, Id say the lake totals of the last few days if anything have been undereported what with all the blowing and drifting. I went to bed last night with 0.5" on the ground and woke up to a T on the ground with drifts whipped against all the curbs.

Archived