amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 18th-19th Wintry Storm

wisconsinwx

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lake is dealing up there, big time DBZ returns.

Gonna be 2' easy in munising area by tomorrow night.

My next goal of mine is to buy a cabin/land somwhere between South Boardman and East Jordan. Love it up there.

When Kalkaska gets it, they get it, but a little further north in EJ to Boyne City/Walloon Lake over towards here, seems to get more persistent snows.  either way it's like a snow lottery tho.

IMO Antrim county isthe  snow sweet spot for NWL. and of course Gaylord.

lol

I think you have to separate it out. The UP can go toe to toe with anybody in the east but it gets more complicated when you talk about all of Michigan.

Agreed, if you are talking the UP only then it's one thing, but this entire state isn't better than VT/NH/ME, not by a long shot.

Agreed, if you are talking the UP only then it's one thing, but this entire state isn't better than VT/NH/ME, not by a long shot.

Funny thing is, there is a small section of the U.P. (Escanaba/Menominee) that isnt anything special because of its lack of LES....its basically the snowbelts. the snowbelts of this state are the best winter rec spot east of the rockies imo.

I wouldn't argue this... Everything  from Oscoda to MP and south to Jackson is just a notch above Ohio.

Even the coastal areas of NH and ME is probably pretty similar to places in SWMI. Like Freak said the only places is really Saginaw valley and around Detroit southward that is NOT better then ME, NH and VT other then that MI kills in the snowfall department. 

I wouldn't argue this... Everything  from Oscoda to MP and south to Jackson is just a notch above Ohio.

I wouldnt go that far. Its amazing the difference that is seen often from Detroit to Toledo. Its as if the state line is a snow boundary. Then again NE OH has a sweet snowbelt. Detroits far northern suburbs usually do better than many other nonsnowbelt areas of lower MI. This Great Lakes have a huge influence on the climate of this region from place to place. Bottom line....in the state of Michigan, you will not find an area that averages under 40 inches, and you will find a handful of areas that average 150"+.

Funny thing is, there is a small section of the U.P. (Escanaba/Menominee) that isnt anything special because of its lack of LES....its basically the snowbelts. the snowbelts of this state are the best winter rec spot east of the rockies imo.

That small area still smashes the rest of the state in snowfall.

I have to say, I love your attitude and sportsmanship.  By far my fav poser in this sub-forum.... huge asset! :wub:

Stop yourself. I'm a hack. :D

But I root for all to see snow. That's what it's all about. Of course, I want some too...but I know my place. Days like today are perfect. Viva la winter! 

That small area still smashes the rest of the state in snowfall.

Not really. In fact, if you look at the season snow maps for the UP to 2002, SE MI has received more snowfall than that area of the UP in 6 of the 10 winters.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/local_data.php?wfo=mqt

Of course this is total snowfall...naturally they have more days with snow on the ground.

So you're in the 100-120" area. Can definitely see how the orographic lift does wonders in your area.

Also tho... In the late fall, inland areas will get snow when I get rain because of the warm influence of the lake. late winter when ice becomes a factor, the lake snows can hug  the coast a little more.... but YEAH,  orographic lift FTW

Archived