northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4km NAM was a good early heads up yesterday of what we would see in the 0Z guidance

especially with the Euro. Notice how much better it performed than the regular NAM which

had the qpf bombs over us. I was really impressed how much better it was with the blizzard 

compared to the regular NAM and GFS last week. The 4km and Euro may be the new EE

rule in some situations.

18z run on Monday similar to Euro

6z total precip

I've got fellow mets screaming convective feedback problems again this AM, they may be correct but I'm not buying into it yet.  Notice the problem the last 2-3 runs has been the wishy washy and never really consolidating low center til it reaches the Delmarva, there is tons of convective issues through the run, over OK/TX today and then the SE and southern MA the next 24 hours.  Some mets feel the model is underdoing the northern low or developing it late as a result, even the 06Z RGEM sort of does the same thing now, not a bad track from any of the models but the precip shield is unusual, this can be correct of course if the low develops late.  My view is its not necessarily convective feedback but convective screwing, the activity going on SE of what would eventually be our low is causing it problems getting its act together til late.

That's a pretty amazing thing to be saying after what happened last week for 95% of the board. :lol:

Literally every other storm except that one has failed in some way, and this one seems to be no different. Looking at the models at even 4 days out, we would be having a great winter, but somehow, in the 72-84 hours before the event, we loose it.

Even last week things went wrong, 5 miles to my west and 5 to my east were in epic banding, I got dryslotted for 2 hours and never got into the amazing stuff. (Sure, 19" is nothing to complain about, but compared to what could have been, and almost was, things did go wrong.)

-skisheep

Literally every other storm except that one has failed in some way, and this one seems to be no different. Looking at the models at even 4 days out, we would be having a great winter, but somehow, in the 72-84 hours before the event, we loose it.

Even last week things went wrong, 5 miles to my west and 5 to my east were in epic banding, I got dryslotted for 2 hours and never got into the amazing stuff. (Sure, 19" is nothing to complain about, but compared to what could have been, and almost was, things did go wrong.)

-skisheep

This still looks like a modest 2-4" storm for most people, not seeing anything less (or more) than that. 

A caretaker reported she heard 6 reported on the news for Woodbridge, not sure what station she heard it on, but it looked to me to be wrong: i did see Fords, in the same township, reported 8. Other people I know swear they measured 6 in the Iselin area. With drifting it' possible, though there wasn't much wind. I thoguht it looked closer to 10-11 but i didn't measure. I think the reports from Metuchen of close to 11 were closer to the mark. Especially given how the poster measured it.there can be differences close by; in 2006 no one I know saw 28 inches, butthat was the report from Rahway for thatstorm. which is one town over.

I am in that area of northern Middlesex County and I got only 6.4 inches - wide variation in amounts in a small radius - because the banding and precip shield was scattered early saturday morning - as of this morning only have about 2 or 3 inches left and can see the grass poking through in spots after today's warmth will be alot of bare spots

New NWS forecast, still too high in my opinion

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

I still think this favors a solution on the north end of much of the guidance. But the fast/progressive flow has killed numerous chances this winter, so this could certainly be another one. Models have been flopping all over the place, so it makes confidence low. Hopefully 12z brings this back north a little-if it stays crushed/suppressed I'll start worrying.

2-4"? The GFS is flurries here, the EURO is close to nothing(correct if im wrong), and everyone's saying toss the NAM.

-skisheep

you forgot to add  that many areas are going to start as rain - very borderline temps and most of what falls will melt Thursday with temps in the 40's

That's not a spread to the north, that's a spread with timing. Some members are simply moving the storm more quickly, not surprising given the trend with recent runs to hurry this thing outta here. The issue here is less about the low placement and more about the progressive flow and insufficient time for the system to really explode off shore. Hence, only those to our south will see the qpf maxes, and even those won't be too high with this one.

Archived