Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i am honestly shocked at how high those probabilities are over the area.  gives jm in long beach at least a 70% shot! good luck to you.

There could be a significant difference with this over a small area-given the trend to really tighten the QPFas it approaches us-which almost seems off to me given that there's no dry, cold flow coming down. Makes me wonder if the precip is being constricted a little too much. Ah well, hopefully something nice happens.

2-4"? The GFS is flurries here, the EURO is close to nothing(correct if im wrong), and everyone's saying toss the NAM.

-skisheep

You can't forecast based just off of models. With a vigorous shortwave and limited blocking, there's more room for the storm to trend north than south. Even the 6z GFS, which was a 1-2" event for southern areas and almost nothing further north, had that "look" of a coastal that could get a lot closer to the coast in future runs. I think you're going to see slightly stronger height rises and thus a more amplified solution. 

There could be a significant difference with this over a small area-given the trend to really tighten the QPFas it approaches us-which almost seems off to me given that there's no dry, cold flow coming down. Makes me wonder if the precip is being constricted a little too much. Ah well, hopefully something nice happens.

No, the solutions that had a stronger more amplified system brough it closer to the coast up here and really got almost a mini CCB going up this way. Now the models have been trending weaker and overall less amplified and it's leading to an overall weaker less organized storm. The low track is not bad. We just have a lack of organized precip.

This run of the NAM is going to be even further south

That's not really true. The southern vort is stronger and more NE than 6z and the heights are higher along the EC because confluence is a bit weaker. These could prove to be important changes.

LOL...get it together guys

The wave is definitely a bit stronger this run when compared to 6z.

The wave is definitely a bit stronger this run when compared to 6z.

look at the mid-levels...everything is more elongated...that would escape east before going north. (at least thru 33hr)

EDIT- thru 36, i will go out on a limb and say the .10 line barely gets to S LI

Archived