Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 13-14th Potential Winter Storm Threat Discussion

Zir0b

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z GFS has only 0.25-0.5'' QPF from the city into central NJ whereas the 18z run had us all comfortably in 0.5-0.75''.  Will have to wait for future runs to see if this is just a blip or a solid trend.

The 18z SLP is 996  at  60 hrs - The 0z SLP looks to be 998  at 54 hrs  , they look almost in the same spot , I really wouldnt get hung up on QPF .

Those surface maps arent that far off .  Its not like the surface was off AC at 18z and at the mouth of the Deleware at 0z . I thnk they r close

Thats what im looking for

The precip gradients with this thing are so tight. Even if the models held their course, I still wouldn't feel comfortable with this. The south shore of LI is almost .5" on the GFS, while SW CT is barely hitting the .1" contour. 

Edit: This works both ways, too. 

The low track is actually good on both models, the band of precip on the NW side though is either late to develop or restricted, would watch to see how that evolves the next 24 hours.

NAM and GFS are in excellent agreement; it is interesting that the QPF has an extremely sharp cutoff.  This makes forecasting this storm very difficult, it reminds me of a stronger system during February 2011 when NYC got a trace and Redbank NJ goes almost 20".  I like to see other models runs to see how true this is, does the forecasted ampertude of the short wave shrink so fast?

The 18z SLP is 996  at  60 hrs - The 0z SLP looks to be 998  at 54 hrs  , they look almost in the same spot , I really wouldnt get hung up on QPF .

Those surface maps arent that far off .  Its not like the surface was off AC at 18z and at the mouth of the Deleware at 0z . I thnk they r close

Thats what im looking for

This is the 00z map 54 hours: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&cycle=00ℑ=gfs%2F00%2Fgfs_namer_054_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

And this is the 18z map at 60 hours: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?model=gfs&area=namer&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&cycle=18ℑ=gfs%2F18%2Fgfs_namer_060_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

The low is definitely farther south in the 00z run, not by a lot but there was a shift.

NAM and GFS are in excellent agreement; it is interesting that the QPF has an extremely sharp cutoff.  This makes forecasting this storm very difficult, it reminds me of a stronger system during February 2011 when NYC got a trace and Redbank NJ goes almost 20".  I like to see other models runs to see how true this is, does the forecasted ampertude of the short wave shrink so fast?

yeah, you mean Feb 2010...but this is nothing like that...whatsoever

Did ukie trend north or south? I am just curious.

Apparently it had 0.4" liquid into NYC.

If around the NAM/GFS is where the consensus is tonight, I would still be fairly encouraged, particularly from around the City south. A lot of times these have last minute bumps north, and colder runs mean potentially higher ratios. The system appearing to enhance as it comes offshore should also be encouraging, since coastal areas may be in a nice band of snow for a few hours. Just hopefully we're done with further trends south. The fast flow and the kicker are always a concern though, this being the crazy progressive-flow winter and all.

In what feet lol just kidding , its minimal 996 vs 998 - and 20 miles , not gona cut QPF in half ..

I dont see alot there , now the problem may have been the 18z was just too juiced in which case it makes sense , later runs will sort that out ..

Nice to see the little 1010 mb anticyclone parked over First CT Lake, NH...always want to see one situated to the north as a snowstorm moves up the coast...

Our two posters from Woodbridge and Piscataway had 7-9, where did you get this report

A caretaker reported she heard 6 reported on the news for Woodbridge, not sure what station she heard it on, but it looked to me to be wrong: i did see Fords, in the same township, reported 8. Other people I know swear they measured 6 in the Iselin area. With drifting it' possible, though there wasn't much wind. I thoguht it looked closer to 10-11 but i didn't measure. I think the reports from Metuchen of close to 11 were closer to the mark. Especially given how the poster measured it.there can be differences close by; in 2006 no one I know saw 28 inches, butthat was the report from Rahway for thatstorm. which is one town over.

Hmmph. Went to bed thinking we had a storm coming; woke up to find we are now at a small event trending south. I can tell you this, storms in my experience that are south tend not to produce much for my neck of the woods, if at all. Seen some big storms in ACY while i got nothing. Seem tio do better with systems that leave out Ocean county on down, at least with these smaller systems. Maybe the last storm got our hopes up too much and we are forgetting how many whiffs we had this year.

Honestly, I rather have the system go further south and allow for a colder solution. I don't think I could handle losing 0.2 of QPF to rain/mix/slop. I'd be more inclined to take a 31 F surface and 2 inches of snow instead.

Agreed. Nothing worse than slop.Plus I am surrounded by naysayers who hate snow; even one met at mt holly hated snow so much he/she used to write things like " some rain will arrive to save the day" ugh.Not sure what to think of this system; been ages since everywhere got a good hit.

DT's first guess

2r3l9i8.jpg

I like Dave's work (he is an acquired taste, lol) a lot - he nailed Sandy, this past storm, and he's looking good for this one, so far.  However, he occasionally goofs with his maps like this one.  Can't mix the lines and envelopes the way he has.  It implies 1-3" between the 1" and 3" lines, which would then imply 3-6" amounts between the 3" line and the red line outlining the 3-6" envelope.  Discontinuity.  Pretty sure he intended to have the area between the red and dark blue to be 1-3" and the area between the light blue and dark blue to be 0-1". 

Archived