joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 6-8th Great Lakes Wintry Storm Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Borderline moderate snow now. Still looks like less than an inch. I'll go out and measure in a bit. I know some parts of the east end, that saw LES earlier this morning are near or a bit above 2".

The dry slot was well advertised across the 403 corridor south to Lk Erie. Hamilton won't get into heavier snow until probably 2-3am in the morning. I like 8 or 9" for Hamilton, maybe a bit more if you can latch onto some LES on the backside.

Interesting = well we're in it too.  By the looks of radar, I'll be waiting for a few hours yet.  So far, absolutely nada.     0 for 2 on the LE outbreaks.  0-3 after this one, and I'll be somewhat pissed................

This is so hyped up in Boston 20 inches would be considered a disappointment............ah, what panic the NAM brings.

The earlier clown maps had 48"+ in BOS (yesterday). While no way is that happening, they may TRIPLE their ENTIRE 2011-12 season total of 9"....also...this storm should dump more snow on BOS in 36 hours than they have seen in the last 2 years combined. Hoping everyone doesnt lose power so i can see some pics lol.

Borderline moderate snow now. Still looks like less than an inch. I'll go out and measure in a bit. I know some parts of the east end, that saw LES earlier this morning are near or a bit above 2".

The dry slot was well advertised across the 403 corridor south to Lk Erie. Hamilton won't get into heavier snow until probably 2-3am in the morning. I like 8 or 9" for Hamilton, maybe a bit more if you can latch onto some LES on the backside.

Unless I'm reading the radar wrong, it looks like the snow could taper off for a few hours before the really heavy stuff moves in overnight.

quick question:  is it just me, or does radar appear to be constantly breaking apart between the Michigan border and Hamilton area?  It's looked like snow is on our doorstep since about 4pm with only a few flakes so far.  Or was this advertised by the models?

I knew we would be missing this initial lake enhanced activity due to the SE winds, but am wondering about the arrival of the synoptic snow. Thx

Re-read my second paragraph.

The earlier clown maps had 48"+ in BOS (yesterday). While no way is that happening, they may TRIPLE their ENTIRE 2011-12 season total of 9"....also...this storm should dump more snow on BOS in 36 hours than they have seen in the last 2 years combined. Hoping everyone doesnt lose power so i can see some pics lol.

What I'd do to be over there right now!

On this end, I'll be happy if we get 4-5" of snow, but that might be on the high end for us 94 corridor folks.

Unless I'm reading the radar wrong, it looks like the snow could taper off for a few hours before the really heavy stuff moves in overnight.

You're right. How long the snow tapers for will determine whether our amounts go bonkers or stay more in the subdued range. 1-3 hours was hinted at by the models. If it takes until dawn for the snow to fire up again, no way we're going over a foot.

Measured 0.9" about 15 minutes ago. Based on how it's falling, we've earned our first inch imby,

What I'd do to be over there right now!

On this end, I'll be happy if we get 4-5" of snow, but that might be on the high end for us 94 corridor folks.

Its so thread the needle right now. One things for certain, unlike the fluffy snow we have had all week, this will have a high water content, potentially greater impact.

Its so thread the needle right now. One things for certain, unlike the fluffy snow we have had all week, this will have a high water content, potentially greater impact.

Kind of looking forward to that. several inches of wet snow always looks a lot more significant than the same amount of fluff, because it sticks to pretty much everything and the whole neighborhoods just look covered in white. Roads don't clear up nearly as easily either.

Holy crap!  Didn't you already have several inches on the ground too?  Wow.

I had just over 3" this morning before 10am. This is the best storm since GHD. :snowing:

I can believe this map will come true. 1.5" more should be no problem here.

File.png

I had just over 3" this morning before 10am. This is the best storm since GHD. :snowing:

I can believe this map will come true. 1.5" more should be no problem here.

Damn, that's awesome.  Glad this one did well after that last clipper underperformed up there. 

Only 1.4" in Rockford so far.  Would have figured they'd had more than that.

I was out shoveling for the last hour. Really hard to shovel this stuff.

7.5" right now with light to moderate snow. Was a bit of a lull for a little while, but the back edge seems to be swinging in.

I was also shoveling over the last hour, however the lengthy chat with the neighbors may have inflate that hour...

3.4" storm total thus far. Good degree of compaction occurring on the pavement, as well as a slush layer due to the morning rain.

I was also shoveling over the last hour, however the lengthy chat with the neighbors may have inflate that hour...

3.4" storm total thus far. Good degree of compaction occurring on the pavement, as well as a slush layer due to the morning rain.

That's pretty good from being rain all day. Hopefully you can get close to 5" before it's over.

Yeah Cyclone, this is totally over performing. I will say the RGEM was onto something last night when it was showing 8" near Kenosha!

Damn, that's awesome.  Glad this one did well after that last clipper underperformed up there. 

Only 1.4" in Rockford so far.  Would have figured they'd had more than that.

Whitewater, only about 30-40 miles away, reported 7.5" a short time ago.  A pretty wide variation in totals across S Wisconsin and N Illinois, and not necessarily the places we expected to get a lot or the places we expected to get little.

That's pretty good from being rain all day. Hopefully you can get close to 5" before it's over.

Yeah Cyclone, this is totally over performing. I will say the RGEM was onto something last night when it was showing 8" near Kenosha!

I was about to say the RGEM was pretty good with the placement and some of the higher totals on that model verified, though in a more isolated fashion than it indicated.

Archived