e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February Banter Thread

burgertime

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little doubtful regarding a majpr winter event for the end of this week.  At the moment, temperatures here are trending in the mid to upper 50's for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Maybe I'm missing something, but all I'm seeing is warm...or mabe cool...rain for the coming weekend.

BTW, the trees in my yard are starting to leaf out rather nicely.

OK Here we are. I want to ask what is making the thread more unreadable, the complaints or the fact that 50% of the thread is Wilkes centric?

The complaints.  The thread bothers me not at all.  I don't have to read it, if I don't want to.  However, if I do read it, I'd like it not to be cluttered up with people-bashing quotes.

Its not going to be a widespread snowstorm give it up. No model is showing a snowstorm. We are just wishcasting a storm. This has been the theme of this fall/spring.

No one said it was, not even Wilkes.  I have no problem with someone starting a thread for a storm that will affect their region.  If, for instance, you wanted to start a thread concerning the weather in Waycross, I'd be okay with that too.  It'd be pretty boring reading about sunny and 75 everyday, but who am I to judge?

I'm surprised there's not more chatter about the long duration event late this week/weekend west of the mountains.  Snow showers look to pile up 2-3 inches in the eastern valley with 4-5 farther north near TRI and on the plateau.  Even Nashville gets an inch or two.  The mountains should do very well.  This has been consistently modeld on the GFS for several days now.  About the past 10 runs have shown it without wavering, even trending it a tad wetter.  It's no miller A, but quite a few folks would be happy if this pans out as the GFS is showing.

The complaints. The thread bothers me not at all. I don't have to read it, if I don't want to. However, if I do read it, I'd like it not to be cluttered up with people-bashing quotes.

No one said it was, not even Wilkes. I have no problem with someone starting a thread for a storm that will affect their region. If, for instance, you wanted to start a thread concerning the weather in Waycross, I'd be okay with that too. It'd be pretty boring reading about sunny and 75 everyday, but who am I to judge?

Dude I was talking about the March 2-6 period lol. Tomorrow and Tuesday will be fun here.

Lol threads are created for minor winter events but not for heavy flooding rains. I'm expecting 3-5 more inches of rain on top of the 4.22 we have seen so far this month. And severe weather also expected here. Thunderstorms here all day tomorrow and now Tuesday has thunderstorms amd wind. Oh joy.

It is not minor. I can assure you if 0.2 of ice and the potential for some snow/sleet was coming to the Piedmont it would be a big deal. 

It is minor in coverage area.

I have been in .3-.5 ice in Chicago. Its nothing unless you are crazy enough to go out in it or your power cuts out.

Chicago also cleans up and prepares better. NC has mountains/hills that go untreated...and are dangerous enough without the weather.

I know what you are saying though. I just want a 2 hour delay or something.

It's called the February obs thread. 

Rain events are not popular enough unless its major and affecting somewhere other than Waycross.

Seriously?  You have no room to talk, Wilkes.

And, I just defended your right to create the thread you did, but here you go bashing someone else's thread?  :facepalm:

I believe the mods will do a sufficient job judging what is worthy and what is not, and the rest of us can just deal with it.

Lol threads are created for minor winter events but not for heavy flooding rains. I'm expecting 3-5 more inches of rain on top of the 4.22 we have seen so far this month. And severe weather also expected here. Thunderstorms here all day tomorrow and now Tuesday has thunderstorms amd wind. Oh joy.

YOu ought to start a thread about finally getting some rain!  But you might want to wait until it's going good :)   After that map you show with the rain stopping at your door, you might want to get the horse in the barn first, lol.

I'm surprised there's not more chatter about the long duration event late this week/weekend west of the mountains.  Snow showers look to pile up 2-3 inches in the eastern valley with 4-5 farther north near TRI and on the plateau.  Even Nashville gets an inch or two.  The mountains should do very well.  This has been consistently modeld on the GFS for several days now.  About the past 10 runs have shown it without wavering, even trending it a tad wetter.  It's no miller A, but quite a few folks would be happy if this pans out as the GFS is showing.

I've been talking about it for days!  Looks like you will get the goods even if the rest of us punt.  And I'm pulling for Rosie too.  It be great to see a week of snow :)  T

I don't want to give up but each week goes by and still no storm.  We are just flat running out of time.  I thought for sure by the time Feb.was over and now the upcoming week of March is starting to look like nothing.  I'm starting to think this winter is as bad as last year for me and just when I start thinking well surely this next storm will come true, it doesn't.  HO HUMMMM.

I don't want to give up but each week goes by and still no storm.  We are just flat running out of time.  I thought for sure by the time Feb.was over and now the upcoming week of March is starting to look like nothing.  I'm starting to think this winter is as bad as last year for me and just when I start thinking well surely this next storm will come true it doesn't.  HO HUMMMM.

I know how you feel. There does seem to be hope with this weekend and next week. I would just like the models to actually show something within a week. RAH seems intrigued by this weekend, though. But it does seem we always have something to keep us from having a big one.

I know how you feel. There does seem to be hope with this weekend and next week. I would just like the models to actually show something within a week. RAH seems intrigued by this weekend, though. But it does seem we always have something to keep us from having a big one.

How can there be hope when no model is showing anything? Sure there is cold air but no precipitation.

How can there be hope when no model is showing anything? Sure there is cold air but no precipitation.

Have to ask RAH that. This is what they said.

WHILE ENERGY CONTINUES TO DROP INTO THE WEST SIDE OF

THE MEAN TROUGH AND DIG IT PROGRESSIVELY DEEPER. THE COOLING

ALOFT... DPVA... AND STEADY HEIGHT FALLS WILL RESULT IN INCREASINGLY

CHILLY AND UNSETTLED WEATHER. WITH PARTIAL THICKNESSES COOLING EACH

DAY... BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF INDICATE MOISTENING THROUGH THE

SHALLOW SURFACE-BASED SUB-FREEZING LAYER... SUPPORTIVE ON THE ECMWF

OF A FEW LIGHT SNOW SHOWERS ON SATURDAY AND AGAIN ON SUNDAY. SUCH

DETAILS ARE TOUGH TO RESOLVE WITH ANY CONFIDENCE AT THIS RANGE...

BUT WE WILL CONTINUE TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS ON

THIS POTENTIAL FOR NEXT WEEKEND. EXPECT HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S TO

LOWER 50S FRIDAY/SATURDAY AND MID-UPPER 40S SUNDAY. -GIH

Archived