12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Disco/Nowcast/Observations for SWFE on Monday/Tuesday Snow to ice

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I didn't even realize that... they do have the two southern counties (Rutland/Windsor) in 4-6" snowfall with freezing drizzle after and no headline.  I could see that getting an advisory, but I still think NNE (and New England in general) should have higher trigger thresholds.  But that's another discussion in itself.  I know you guys need to follow the guidelines specified.

There was a lot of thought put into the thresholds, based on impacts. In reality the advisory only exists to caution travelers to the potential that roads will be slippery. The impact of a 4" snowfall on the EM level is pretty minimal, they only care about 6+.

But as we know, the public doesn't really understand what an advisory means and they don't really use appropriate caution when there is snow on the road.

High population impact?  ;)

Edit:  nevermind, he's back in Plymouth...where there is a WAA

I also wonder if it has to do with the "type of winter" we have been having... I mean in like 2010-2011 when spots like Underhill Village had 220", Waterbury with 190", Stowe Village with 155", BTV would've been issuing daily advisories for snowfall of 6" or less from like Christmas to March.  I remember by the end of that winter we were only getting advisories for like 8-10" of snow, haha.  Same thing with 07-08.

I also wonder if it has to do with the "type of winter" we have been having... I mean in like 2010-2011 when spots like Underhill Village had 220", Waterbury with 190", Stowe Village with 155", BTV would've been issuing daily advisories for snowfall of 6" or less from like Christmas to March.  I remember by the end of that winter we were only getting advisories for like 8-10" of snow, haha.  Same thing with 07-08.

Just looking back and 07-08 had 21 advisories for BTV, 10-11 was 23, and the in between years were 18.

This winter? 9.

Could be.  I'm a little surprised there isn't one up.  Even here, P&C showing 2-5" and falling during commute time.

Whatever though.  Locals here know how to drive in the snow.  :snowing:

That'll do it. I'm less confident on the FZDZ towards PWM, but put it in the forecast just so it's out there for travelers. Plus it's not the best time of day to put even 2-3" down on the roads with people getting out of work.

Somewhat OT, but how quickly do you think we cool down following the fropa Wednesday night? The last hour-by-hour that I saw showed temps dropping into the 30s late Wed. night before rebounding into the 40s during the day on Thursday. Everyone in SNE seems to be talking about a "one-day torch," as if we'll be back into the freezer on Thursday.

The most exciting 3-6 hours of January en route?

*Why don't the .gif's loop/animate anymore?

attachicon.gifhttp://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=86676'>bgm_None_anim.gif

PF, I think it’s something to do with the new forum software.  If you link them instead of uploading them they work fine.  I actually prefer the linked material anyway, because those uploads disappear when people clean out their forum files and then the images are lost for archival reading anyway.

28JAN13A.gif

Archived