e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2013 General Discussion

snowlover2

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only made 22 here today, after starting at 3.  Even at 10 degrees under freezing for a high there was a noticeable melting of the snow today.  Mainly on paved areas, but south facing hills lost all the snow.  The sun is quickly gaining strength as we head into late Feb.

same here, out high was also 22° today. Although we started out warmer at 16°

Cold gray winter day with mood flakes here today.

Two years ago tonight we were enduring one of my favorite snowstorms. The 10.2" total when 1-3" + ice was expected was awesome, the thundersnow was a shock that literally shook the restaurant we were at, and it was proof that the winter of 2010-11 could so no wrong. As soon as the winterlong deep snowpack was stolen, it was replaced. RIghtly so it plays second fiddle to GHD, but locally, this was the better storm, despite near identical total snowfall amount.

2717-800.jpg

2716-800.jpg

\2720-800.jpg

2726.jpg

We have had 38 days so far this winter with 1"+ snowcover, but today was not one of them, and I thought this was a unique shot when I was at the store earlier because it had a little of everything. Dirty old snow, a few skiffs of fresh snow (the brightest thing in the picture), and an otherwise drab, colorless, dark winter landscape. This is why snowcover is my #1 thing in winter. Its depressing without it. Lack of sunlight does not bother me in the least. Lack of fresh white does. Hoping this stormy pattern that likely lies ahead is able to produce some for all!

3449-800.jpg

That snowy Cacti shot is awesome! 

Snowfreak - I like that one particular picture with the stoplight and the tire tracks fading off down the side street!

Will be in the Black Hills 3 weeks from now, hoping for enough snow to make for some interesting shots. 

High 21° today. Few clouds coming off the lake now holding the temperature drop in check.

Since sunny days are rare to say the least in N mich during the Winter, I had to get out.  I walked the 2 miles to town to the post office.  It was 18 degrees but the sun felt warm on my sock hat and face. Took these 2 pics.  The snow piles in town are rather impressive. 

Could feel Winter losing it's grip a little with the higher sun angle and brightness... a feeling of bittersweet defeat in a way.

from 2 days ago. our snowed in town hall building.

One last pic of my backyard today

LOVE the pics bo. Sometimes when you show a snowcovered area it looks like a nice deep blanket, but you cant tell the difference between 1 or 3 feet. Those pics with things shoveled out are awesome. Reminds me of whrn I eas on grayling last march and paradise in 2008.

I get what you're sayn'. The shot of my backyard looks rather benign, but my back yard has 30" of snow as it's protected from wind. Straight snowcover shots lack the depth the shoveled/disrupted ones do.  They say a pic is worth a thousands words but IDK.  Never seem to do the real thing justice.

another of backyard... shows a little more contrast.

Just realized that average daily maximum temps are now above freezing here. Can't believe it's almost over. 

I know exactly how you feel.  Average high here is now 29.  I miss the dim/fading light of a steely grey snow covered mid December afternoon, with the feeling of Winter's freshness in the air and the exciting possibilities it holds. :snowman:

I know exactly how you feel.  Average high here is now 29.  I miss the dim/fading light of a steely grey snow covered mid December afternoon, with the feeling of Winter's freshness in the air and the exciting possibilities it holds. :snowman:

Encapsulated perfectly. In a weird way, I kind of miss the brown muddy ground of November. Just because of the anticipation.

We have had 38 days so far this winter with 1"+ snowcover, but today was not one of them, and I thought this was a unique shot when I was at the store earlier because it had a little of everything. Dirty old snow, a few skiffs of fresh snow (the brightest thing in the picture), and an otherwise drab, colorless, dark winter landscape. This is why snowcover is my #1 thing in winter. Its depressing without it. Lack of sunlight does not bother me in the least. Lack of fresh white does. Hoping this stormy pattern that likely lies ahead is able to produce some for all!

3449-800.jpg

I am totally with you on that! The brown is what gets me.

Archived