Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
1/25 Light Snow Event Observation Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we need a snow weenie to measure there...not a manure cleaner...

Upton got fed up with them back in 09-10 and one storm just reported the liquid equivalent converted 10 to 1 as it matched EWR's total closely anyway.  Central Park's ASOS generally seems to melt the snow well and convert an accurate liquid equivalent....after that they really got their act in order it seemed, started report amounts not in half inch increments and matched what I had very close but they regressed last year an have really done so this year, they've missed around 0.8 so far this year which is epic considering what we've had.

I just measured a half inch here as well. I'd be very suprised if we get to an inch and a half though. Maybe an inch if that band around Trenton holds together for us, but I bet we'll end up with about 0.75".

And that band is missing us to the south. Looks like we end up with a shade over a half inch. Better than nothing, and it's nice seeing the white out there. But it shows how pathetic this month has been when we have to be excited about a dusting to inch type of event.

Upton's latest Facebook post claims 1.0" from Central Park.

A few snowfall observations from our official reporting stations at 7pm: Central Park, NY: 1.0 in, LaGuardia, NY: 0.3 in, Kennedy, NY: 0.1 in, Islip, NY: 0.1 in, Newark, NJ: 0.4 in, and Bridgeport, CT: T. We measured 0.1 in at our office at Upton, NY. Please continue to send us your observations and reports tonight! Remember to give your location and time of measurement. Thanks!

Closing in on 1" here in Metuchen, already - hoping to get to 1.5" if we get lucky - just having everything covered in snow will make me a very happy camper (already has - trying to get friends to go out for a drink tonight). 

Amazing what a little snow that accumulates on everything does to drivers.  Traffic out there is horrendous, locally, and reports of all kinds of accidents, which is kind of what I expected: a half inch of snow that doesn't melt at all and only melts slowly with salt is definitely worse on the roads than several inches of snow that doesn't accumulate much on the roads, due to at or above freezing temps, which happens a lot around here. 

Unfortunately, the intensity let up since this post and I'm at about an inch with very light snow still falling, but the radar is looking pretty empty now, so we might be done.  I'll take it - it's absolutely gorgeous out there. 

I guess this is one time when my old stomping grounds, White Plains, are going to outdo my new digs in snowier northern Ct..  For the record, I just counted 12 snow grains on my walkway, and even the weeniest of eyes in the brightest of street lamps cant see anything coming down.. And if thats not bad enough, the friekin' moon is out!!!   :axe: 

Upton got fed up with them back in 09-10 and one storm just reported the liquid equivalent converted 10 to 1 as it matched EWR's total closely anyway.  Central Park's ASOS generally seems to melt the snow well and convert an accurate liquid equivalent...

The irony is that the same trees and brush which tend to make the thermometer read cool in summer, help the precip gauge catch the snow more effectively by blocking the wind.

Upton's latest Facebook post claims 1.0" from Central Park.

A few snowfall observations from our official reporting stations at 7pm: Central Park, NY: 1.0 in, LaGuardia, NY: 0.3 in, Kennedy, NY: 0.1 in, Islip, NY: 0.1 in, Newark, NJ: 0.4 in, and Bridgeport, CT: T. We measured 0.1 in at our office at Upton, NY. Please continue to send us your observations and reports tonight! Remember to give your location and time of measurement. Thanks!

Maybe they added that missing 0.8" ;)

Archived