Newest Member
    joxey
Cold Start to February

SACRUS

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well we can say the following:

1) Tropical forcing so far this winter has blown chunks. And I've come to believe that the location and magnitude of OLR forcing in the tropical Pacific is highly connected/related to the mid latitude trough/ridge pattern. A certain forcing regime in the tropical Pacific will yield signalling that favors a certain north pacific pattern, and this can ultimately affect the north atlantic as well. I don't think it's a coincidence that many of our Aleutian trough winters also featured a -NAO. By nature of wavelenths, then Aleutian trough is correlated to the -NAO feature.

good detective work...  it's scary how many ways a winter can get tripped up.  and makes all the more remarkable the amount of impressive events we've had in the last decade.

This is a much more wintry pattern for most interests in our area than the one we had been in previously. It will be interesting to see if we can get a more moderate snowstorm, maybe with the negative height anomaly over Southeast Canada shifting westward a bit over time...but for now this looks like a developing lay-up of a few light snow events as individual nuances track south and east over the top of the ridge out west...and then east underneath PV to our north.

f114.gif

I'm not expecting much with that system tomorrow. Interesting that it has a small pocket of 0.1"+ right by Forked River though.

Typical February Nina-like pattern with cold alternating with warm for the first half of the month.

attachicon.gifM7D7.gif

attachicon.gif2013013100_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

Agree, it looks like a back and forth month, probably finishing slightly warmer than normal. The first 7-10 days or so will average cold, but nothing impressive, with moderation thereafter.

Agree, it looks like a back and forth month, probably finishing slightly warmer than normal. The first 7-10 days or so will average cold, but nothing impressive, with moderation thereafter.

The chances of a cold winter look just about shot with the warm spell at the end of January and all the models showing warmth past February 10th. We really need to make hay while the sun shines, as the pattern looks to turn increasingly unfavorable after the 2nd week of February. If I can pick up 10" of snow by mid-month, I'll be in a position to finish around average for snowfall with a fair March. My snowfall average is 38" and I've had 18" so far. I'm a little bit worried about March though (despite decent analogs) because of the recent tendency for torch in March and the CFS forecasts as well as what tropical forcing may do by late February.

Archived