joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cold Start to February

SACRUS

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MJO is actually different in February, than Dec and Jan. Phase 8 seems to be only cold and stormy phase for us. Phase 1, which Euro ensembles have us going to after next week, actually correlates to below noraml 500m heights, over the Western and Central US:

attachicon.gifECMF_phase_51m_full.gif

FebruaryPhase1500mb.gif

phases 2-3 are the cold phases for February.

This cold shot looks in and out and then winter is officially over. In my opinion this was worst than last year

If there really is no more snow this season, it would be worse than last year in concrete numbers back home... 7.6" this year versus 9.3" last year.  But its not over yet and I think there is still some accumulating snow to be had, even if its not much.

This cold shot looks in and out and then winter is officially over. In my opinion this was worst than last year

Last year was way worse, at least this year the heavy November snow reached the coast. Last October gave me about a coating and then we had about 2" on January 21st? before it went to rain. That was literally it for that whole winter. Even 01-02 was better for the south shore of Long Island. We had 4.5" last week, and about 6", maybe more on November 7th, making it about 11" total. I don't see much hope for a Nor'easter with this pattern, but it's impossible to rule out at least minor events. And I'm reluctant to brand winter "over" on January 30. I'd probably give it about until President's Day.

With all due respect HPC and they are  very good, but 4 days before last Fridays event they painted the forecast area with .50 - .75 qpf , and as the models backed off , so did they .

The HPC  piece was written ( 1018 ) AM  before the 12z models came out and I would imagine if the 0z runs still show 1 or 2  poss light events they will be inclined to include them .

Should we separate out the 2/1, 2/3 and 2/5 threats into their own threads?

ok I agree now we should make up 3 individual threads - we can call them the 3 Stooges events and just like the Weather Channel we will give them individual names

2/1 = Larry

2/3 = Moe

2/5 = Curly

I dare anyone here to create these - lol

ok I agree now we should make up 3 individual threads - we can call them the 3 Stooges events and just like the Weather Channel we will give them individual names

2/1 = Larry

2/3 = Moe

2/5 = Curly

I`m in for Moe and Curly

If I had to pick one , I would prob thnk next weeks system has the better promise . That being said I dont like midweek snowstorms  ( WEEKENDS )  tend to work better for us , so im sure at best its a light to mod event , if it happens ! 

But what I do like is , it likes to snow on the back end of colder periods and this winter has been so brutal that if it  does snow next week  the trough pulls out and its in the 50`s next weekend , and everyone will cry because the snow melted so fast .

I am almost rooting that scenerio on .

Many SREF members at 21z now showing big storms for Southern New England and light to moderate event (especially based on this winters standards) at 66 hours...I'd watch this one carefully. I count 9 members on the 21z SREF that develop a compact surface low near Block Island and towards Cape Cod.

2/1 = Larry

2/3 = Moe

2/5 = Curly

lol...poor Shemp is always left out...

Still not jumping on the SREFs idea, thats somewhat unusual...the WRF NMM has something its last 2 runs and even the damn CRAS shows it, if the GFS jumps on board here in the next 2 runs or so I'll start really believing it...

Gfs has some very light snow in snj. Does not look like srefs at all

Archived