• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 25th Winter Weather Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Notice that giant question mark.....you are too much bro. 

eh...if you want more from his FB that is not encouraging....I will post it. 

13 hours ago

The dewpoints in VA, NC, and SC will be incredibly low tomorrow , so this will limit the amount of moisture that makes it to the ground. Dewpoints of single digits and even some subzero dewpoints are showing up in Piedmont VA/NC midday tomorrow. This could cause the first few hours of precip to evaporate before reaching the ground.

10 hours ago

For the folks in the downwind side (lee of Southern Apps) the new High Res. NAM has no precipitation in parts of Buncombe, northern Henderson, Polk Counties and only 1/100 (trace event) in most of Rutherford, Cleveland,, Lincoln counties and only about 2/100 (trace event) in the vast majority of western Piedmont NC, lower Foothills, upper SC to just east of Asheville region. Also, in north Central Virginia, only trace amounts. This is even less than what was shown, which lines up well with my thoughts that there will be a relative minimum precip zone in that region. On the other end of the precip spectrum, good amounts in ne TN, sw VA and northeast NC, southeast VA.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13 hours ago

The dewpoints in VA, NC, and SC will be incredibly low tomorrow , so this will limit the amount of moisture that makes it to the ground. Dewpoints of single digits and even some subzero dewpoints are showing up in Piedmont VA/NC midday tomorrow. This could cause the first few hours of precip to evaporate before reaching the ground.

10 hours ago

For the folks in the downwind side (lee of Southern Apps) the new High Res. NAM has no precipitation in parts of Buncombe, northern Henderson, Polk Counties and only 1/100 (trace event) in most of Rutherford, Cleveland,, Lincoln counties and only about 2/100 (trace event) in the vast majority of western Piedmont NC, lower Foothills, upper SC to just east of Asheville region. Also, in north Central Virginia, only trace amounts. This is even less than what was shown, which lines up well with my thoughts that there will be a relative minimum precip zone in that region. On the other end of the precip spectrum, good amounts in ne TN, sw VA and northeast NC, southeast VA.

I don't give a f*ck. He is just stating what COULD happen and what models are showing.  You are such a tool dude. 

13 hours ago

10 hours ago

I think pretty much anyone that knows about weather, including many mets, are very surprised that it's reaching the ground already with these dew points. If he's going to be "wrong" a lot of other mets will too. No one in their right mind would forecast heavy accumulation with the low precip progged on the models for the lee side as well as the dewpoints and the climatology of that area with these systems. So just wait until the storm passed and then you can call him out, yeah?

I think pretty much anyone that knows about weather, including many mets, are very surprised that it's reaching the ground already with these dew points. If he's going to be "wrong" a lot of other mets will too. No one in their right mind would forecast heavy accumulation with the low precip progged on the models for the lee side as well as the dewpoints and the climatology of that area with these systems. So just wait until the storm passed and then you can call him out, yeah?

I was shocked to hear the sleet coming down this morning in Asheville; however, it was brief and has stopped.  The radar returns in TN now show precip weakening as it hits the mountains; so not convince Asheville will get much more but we will see.

This is probably a bit of banter here, but Wilkes.......it's posts like yours that make it difficult to get other good mets to want to post their ideas here..... Weather is changeable and difficult to forecast. No need to beat the "wrong" drum when the scientific reasoning behind the forecast is solid.

on topic: looks like my call for limited snow here at KTRI will easily be realized. When you start out as ip and zr it's hard to get a snow accumulation.....haha.

This is probably a bit of banter here, but Wilkes.......it's posts like yours that make it difficult to get other good mets to want to post their ideas here..... Weather is changeable and difficult to forecast. No need to beat the "wrong" drum when the scientific reasoning behind the forecast is solid.

on topic: looks like my call for limited snow here at KTRI will easily be realized. When you start out as ip and zr it's hard to get a snow accumulation.....haha.

A-men

I don't want to call him out...I like him. But I want others to be aware of how good these short range models are performing compared to the GFS/EURO for WNC. I did forecast accumulations back this way.

I do not think he was calling anyone out. He was just stating that low dp was not going to be a factor as been discussed here. He used Roberts discussion to answer burgers question about the ? mark.         Sorry,he did use Robert's name and forecast on his post so I would say he did call him out.                              

Perhaps check IDs at the door?

A-men

Great catch! The little bit of returns I had this morning around 7:15am really put it down in the 15 minutes it lasted. Lets hope the heavy stuff comes in as shown..

Latest RAP initialization on sim radar reflectivity not really picking up the returns in NC.  The heavier stuff isn't even supposed to get here until later.

LaVnxaA.png

I don't want to call him out...I like him. But I want others to be aware of how good these short range models are performing compared to the GFS/EURO for WNC. I did forecast accumulations back this way.

what 

do you want a COOKIE? You write all over this board like your somebody special. Your a newbie here. People respect others and talk about starting the next thread for a storm. YOU just BARGE in and do what you think is right for the board. STEP BACK and follow the lead of veteran people and LEARN.

Just my 2 cents. 

Delete if you need to...

Dang, was hoping to see the video of you eating your car.  DT bust in that area.  That's what's awesome about this place...never underestimate the local knowledge folks have on here.

what 

do you want a COOKIE? You write all over this board like your somebody special. Your a newbie here. People respect others and talk about starting the next thread for a storm. YOU just BARGE in and do what you think is right for the board. STEP BACK and follow the lead of veteran people and LEARN.

I respect them, I have learned a lot from Robert. I feel we should comment on each others forecast, it brings discussion to the table. 

Carry on let's get back on track!

Dang, was hoping to see the video of you eating your car. DT bust in that area. That's what's awesome about this place...never underestimate the local knowledge folks have on here.

We do have a very good board here and we usually stay ahead of every media outlet bc of the knowledge mets and amateurs alike share here. We have the best weatherboard, but we also share the best subforum too. Thanks to everyone that shares in a respectful way....

I am also glad my car is safe.

Can we pin the obs thread so we don't mix (pun intended!) reports amongst discussion?

Here's the current critical thicknesses over the SE.  It demonstrates why TN is getting pounded with IP/ZR rather than snow.  Also, the Triad seems to currently still be in the snow sector while Hickory and points to the SW are getting IP/ZR.

QNXB2vg.png

Archived