• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE winter 2013 banter thread for the final 2/3 left

Ginx snewx

Well, you have been kind of a weenie with your constant 94 talk. This winter will never be ala 94. Week after week of talk about a pattern change and storms on the horizon have not come to pass. It is mid January and BORING sums it up for me. It you get your rocks off on a week of below average cold then kudos, you have it this week. It looks like a miss and a miss and another week gone by the books to me. I'd rather have average temps and a blockbuster then below avg cold and storms to the south.

They never learn Jerry, never

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, you have been kind of a weenie with your constant 94 talk. This winter will never be ala 94. Week after week of talk about a pattern change and storms on the horizon have not come to pass. It is mid January and BORING sums it up for me. It you get your rocks off on a week of below average cold then kudos, you have it this week. It looks like a miss and a miss and another week gone by the books to me. I'd rather have average temps and a blockbuster then below avg cold and storms to the south.

Who the fuk are you mr 57 posts. I weenied someone who complained about the cold who I know and is one of our group. Someone I've met. Stfu.

Who the fuk are you mr 57 posts. I weenied someone who complained about the cold who I know and is one of our group. Someone I've met. Stfu.

He's right, Jerry...this winter has been nothing like 93-94 despite your proclamations. December was +5 and January is running +5. Even with a massive arctic outbreak next week, we're at best looking at average temperatures this January. Snowfall has been meager for much of New England; Boston has around 5" and much of NH only has 20-30" on the season. Not been a blockbuster at all. 

More Tolland magic.

The snow is tough to melt with ice on top of it. I doubt he loses it. Megan still had fairly decent coverage in Natick when we left in late morning and out in ORH county an hour later driving through Charlton, it wasn't going anywhere....maybe a sun torched south facing slope will get some bare spots.

He's right, Jerry...this winter has been nothing like 93-94 despite your proclamations. December was +5 and January is running +5. Even with a massive arctic outbreak next week, we're at best looking at average temperatures this January. Snowfall has been meager for much of New England; Boston has around 5" and much of NH only has 20-30" on the season. Not been a blockbuster at all. 

Pattern going forward resembles it.

The snow is tough to melt with ice on top of it. I doubt he loses it. Megan still had fairly decent coverage in Natick when we left in late morning and out in ORH county an hour later driving through Charlton, it wasn't going anywhere....maybe a sun torched south facing slope will get some bare spots.

I think the "magic" was his high of 39F while ORH hit 42F.

Pattern going forward resembles it.

Right, but even after two weeks of this brutally cold pattern (if it lasts that long) we'll still be +2 on the winter...that's how warm it's been. And there's almost no way Boston will get near 100" snow this year even if the pattern does turn favorable. We've wasted half the winter with just a few nickel-and-dime events.

What is the official total at Logan now? 4"?

Right, but even after two weeks of this brutally cold pattern (if it lasts that long) we'll still be +2 on the winter...that's how warm it's been. And there's almost no way Boston will get near 100" snow this year even if the pattern does turn favorable. We've wasted half the winter with just a few nickel-and-dime events.

7.0 at Logan.

Was someone claiming this winter was like '94 until now?

7.0 at Logan.

Was someone claiming this winter was like '94 until now?

Jerry has made several references to "94 coming" this winter, and this is the first time it even comes near resembling reality. To me, however, this looks like the typical 3-4 weeks of cold, snowy weather the Northern Mid-Atlantic/New England gets in any reasonable winter. I think things have the potential to turn epic, but I won't be using epic analogs when we're sitting on single-digits for snowfall this year..

That 7" at Logan is just terrible. I have 16.5" here in Dobbs Ferry. This winter is also nothing like 93-94 because a lot of the good snows have been south and out west. That year, all the action was in the Northern Mid-Atlantic and New England.

My local news has a low of 4F in Dobbs Ferry, however, on Wednesday. I do like the sound of that. 

He's not right. I've touted this pattern as 93-94 and it is. Doesn't mean it will have the same results. I never said December was nothing other than garbage.

Right, but even after two weeks of this brutally cold pattern (if it lasts that long) we'll still be +2 on the winter...that's how warm it's been. And there's almost *no way* Boston will get near 100" snow this year even if the pattern does turn favorable. We've wasted half the winter with just a few nickel-and-dime events.

Hey hey, never say never man, you can't be sure what the season will produce 'til it's over.

Jerry has made several references to "94 coming" this winter, and this is the first time it even comes near resembling reality. To me, however, this looks like the typical 3-4 weeks of cold, snowy weather the Northern Mid-Atlantic/New England gets in any reasonable winter. I think things have the potential to turn epic, but I won't be using epic analogs when we're sitting on single-digits for snowfall this year..

That 7" at Logan is just terrible. I have 16.5" here in Dobbs Ferry. This winter is also nothing like 93-94 because a lot of the good snows have been south and out west. That year, all the action was in the Northern Mid-Atlantic and New England.

My local news has a low of 4F in Dobbs Ferry, however, on Wednesday. I do like the sound of that. 

I have no problem with using '94 as an analog if the pattern resembles it....only weenies get caught up in snowfall analogs verbatim. Pattern forward has nothing to do with what December did.

Nate, you a full of it tonight. Show evidence that I said these things about this winter other than this upcoming pattern telegraphed for weeks resembles it.

He's not right. I've touted this pattern as 93-94 and it is. Doesn't mean it will have the same results. I never said December was nothing other than garbage.

You were talking about the re-birth of 93-93 when we had the cold snap and snow threats in late December/early January. 

I can see the similarities to the 93-94 pattern, but it's going to need to be really cold to reverse the positive departures. I snuck up to 48.8F today and I'm sitting at a balmy 44F here in the middle of the night. The chances are really dwindling of this month finishing below average with today getting into the 40s nearly everywhere. 

You were talking about the re-birth of 93-93 when we had the cold snap and snow threats in late December/early January. 

I can see the similarities to the 93-94 pattern, but it's going to need to be really cold to reverse the positive departures. I snuck up to 48.8F today and I'm sitting at a balmy 44F here in the middle of the night. The chances are really dwindling of this month finishing below average with today getting into the 40s nearly everywhere. 

I don't think you understand that a pattenr resembling a certain year doesn't mean the exact month comes out the same. This is a '94 pattern but obviously not starting in early January...so you aren't going to expect a -8 month. I'm not sure what is so difficult to get that the longwave pattern resembles '94 and has for a while on the long term progs and we ar enow on the doorstep.

Who knows if we get 40" of snow in the next 3 weeks or 5"....that is not possible to predict with much accuracy. I can say we will have more chances than usual though and it will average out quite cold.

I don't care if I'm below average for the month. I know this much, the current positive departure will drop drastically by months end. And I'm pretty confident tht February will be cold. The coldest air is on our side of the pole for the first time in years.

I don't care if I'm below average for the month. I know this much, the current positive departure will drop drastically by months end. And I'm pretty confident tht February will be cold. The coldest air is on our side of the pole for the first time in years.

The irony is zucker was convinced we were going to finish the month below normal like a week or 10 days ago. I was the one telling him that it would be extremely difficult to do that because the cold pattern wouldn't be setting in early enough.

It really isn't even arguable this pattern looks fantastic, never ending pessimism. 

The irony is zucker was convinced we were going to finish the month below normal like a week or 10 days ago. I was the one telling him that it would be extremely difficult to do that because the cold pattern wouldn't be setting in early enough.

I'm not arguing against the pattern being favorable (it is very favorable), but Jerry has had a 93-94 fetish all winter regardless of whether the pattern warranted it or not. He has been talking about that analog at various points throughout the winter, and it has not come to fruition. Sure, he might be getting closer to reality with this call, but the truth is that we're +5 for the winter with poor snowfall in SNE and average snowfall in NYC metro. Also, just one week of conditions close to 93-94 doesn't hold a candle to a year that had months of those conditions.

Sorry but 93-94 it has not been, and will not be. 

And in terms of the month, I didn't see how mild this weekend would be. We'd have a much better chance of finishing below normal without two days in the 40s this weekend. That low crossing Quebec brought a lot of warm air north, and seemed to trend stronger. The arctic shot looks as good as ever. 

I'm not arguing against the pattern being favorable (it is very favorable), but Jerry has had a 93-94 fetish all winter regardless of whether the pattern warranted it or not. He has been talking about that analog at various points throughout the winter, and it has not come to fruition. Sure, he might be getting closer to reality with this call, but the truth is that we're +5 for the winter with poor snowfall in SNE and average snowfall in NYC metro. Also, just one week of conditions close to 93-94 doesn't hold a candle to a year that had months of those conditions.

Sorry but 93-94 it has not been, and will not be. 

And in terms of the month, I didn't see how mild this weekend would be. We'd have a much better chance of finishing below normal without two days in the 40s this weekend. That low crossing Quebec brought a lot of warm air north, and seemed to trend stronger. The arctic shot looks as good as ever. 

:facepalm:

I don't think anyone was saying this winter would be as prolific as '93-'94 but as modeled the pattern has had quite a resemblance to that somewhat unusual pattern. I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative about this. 

It really isn't even arguable this pattern looks fantastic, never ending pessimism. 

LOL I'm not a pessimist, I think the pattern looks great. We really need to max out the cold and snowfall opportunities though to get a really memorable winter at this point. A lot of the valuable part of winter has been wasted. 

LOL I'm not a pessimist, I think the pattern looks great. We really need to max out the cold and snowfall opportunities though to get a really memorable winter at this point. A lot of the valuable part of winter has been wasted. 

I'm doing fine...over 30" of snow, lol...a hair above average.. If we get a great stretch here over the next 3 weeks, that will really just about lock in above avg snow winter. Hopefully it happens. BOS metro has been screwed thus far...hopefully they catch up.

You know, until I found this board, I had no idea there were other people so emotionally invested in the weather as I am. I mean, the raw emotion that comes through in a lot of posts is quite the palpable experience. Hobby (other than the red tags), obsession? Not sure how to label it.

In any case, I'm mostly a professional lurker here. While I know more meteorology than the average man on the street, it pales in comparison to even a random sampling of folks on here, so...I listen and absorb with not too much to add as useful insight above and beyond what is posted.

In any case...carry on :thumbsup:

Archived