• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

Not sure what part of NC you are in but its going to be hard to get snow in Charlotte and Raleigh next Fri with forecast highs in the 50s.

He's talking about Asheville and the favored northwest slope areas (Madison, Yancey, Mitchell, Avery) have the best chance. Maybe mixed precip or light snow in Buncombe County (Asheville)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the near term, the 00Z GFS is forecasting quite a bit of rainfall for the SE over the next five days:

mjnrp.gif

In the long term, it still carries the torch for the cold parade.  (Wait.  Did I just mix my metaphors?)  Check out those incredibly cold 850s:  sub-freezing down to Jacksonville and 100 miles out into the GOM!!

dND5z.gif

In the long term, it still carries the torch for the cold parade. (Wait. Did I just mix my metaphors?) Check out those incredibly cold 850s: sub-freezing down to Jacksonville and 100 miles out into the GOM!!

dND5z.gif

Holy god. Now this is what I want to see. If you want to replace my 80s, it better be replaced with record cold.

Holy god. Now this is what I want to see. If you want to replace my 80s, it better be replaced with record cold.

The ironic thing is that if this did occur it would be so close to January 1985 that it may not technically be record cold... Even though if it were some other time of the winter it would be.

January 1985 was a little different though. In this case, the PV is in pieces, meaning another slug could come around. In 1985, it was THE polar vortex. In this case, there doesn't appear to be enough snowpack for record cold to really grab a foothold. In January 1985, there was a good bit of snow across TN, possibly into northern GA, etc.

I think it's possible, but it's hour 288, the resolution is low, and we need to get through the next few shortwaves and all this rain first. Then we'll know more about the possibility.

That was a very dangerous situation. These were old windchill values though.

The current calculation bottomed out at -38F. Take a look at the nosedive of temps between the day prior and that morning (about a 50 degree drop in 24 hours).

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBNA/1985/1/20/DailyHistory.html

In Knoxville, the windchill only got to -32F, but the temps were a bit colder. I don't think we've ever had all day below 0 like that, even in 1899.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KTYS/1985/1/20/DailyHistory.html

Lol -56 across TN in 1985.

Here's your surface temps at hour 300.  All of the upper SE would be in single digits or colder.  Freezing temps all along the gulf coast down to Tampa, FL.  Some record cold showing up and not too likely to verify to that degree.  But, what a sight for sore eyes:

GAGLs.gif

Looks good.  Just to keep a perspective, if the models come up just one degree with each run between now and then we are looking at temps in the 60s.  Sorry, I just had to do that.

Wunderground snow maps confirm snowfall across areas N&W of 85 in NC.

It would also appear that the arctic hammer is being dropped at 240.

No surprise it has been showing this from hour 180 to now 162. One panel showing 7-8 inches in the Asheville area in just 1 frame.

I have NEVER been a fan of a winter storm after a significant rain event. We are going to get 2-3+ inches of rain...the likelihood of two sig. back to back qpf events are slim to none in the tundra areas. 

Wunderground snow maps confirm snowfall across areas N&W of 85 in NC.

It would also appear that the arctic hammer is being dropped at 240.

Hey Jeremy, quite surprised about that snowfall map. I guess it's seeing the ULL the Euro had packing more of a punch. Of SV maps it's not nearly cold enough and it looked like the ULL just falls apart as it hits TN. Interesting.

I like seeing the cold coming so we can have more chances at snow but if that Arctic front is that strong it will suppress all the storms to far south.  Its true, you have to thread a needle around here, its so hard to get the cold and moisture in here at the right time where as up north or the midwest it seems to snow at nothing.

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_hpc_extended_disco.php

EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSIONNWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD1128 PM EST FRI JAN 11 2013VALID 12Z TUE JAN 15 2013 - 12Z SAT JAN 19 2013THE GUIDANCE STILL FORECAST A DISPLACEMENT TO THE UPPER VORTEXOVER NORTHERN CANADA DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS TO A POSITIONFARTHER SOUTH OVER HUDSON BAY. BALANCING RIDGING OVER THE WESTERNPORTION OF THE CONTINENT WILL REMAIN IN PLACE... LOCKING IN THEPATTERN. THE ECMWF AND ESPECIALLY ITS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS HAVE BEENQUITE CONSISTENT IN THE OVERALL FORECAST WITH THE GEFS ENSEMBLESCLOSE BEHIND. THE GFS/UKMET/CANADIAN DETERMINISTIC MODELS HAVEPROVEN LESS USEFUL AS EXPLICIT SOLUTIONS WITH TOO MUCH VARIABILITYOVER RECENT RUNS.

The last real mega cold i can remember was jan 03. Got down to 4.2 here a day or so after the super clipper.

Yeah, I remember that one I was in the 4th grade at the time and I remembered it got down to 8 degrees here. That was the first and last time I saw single digit lows here and it's also the first time I saw a Wind Chill Advisory issued. They ended up closing schools because it was too cold.

Archived