Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks,

We interrupt my regularly scheduled walk for this important announcement. Hot off the cell phone, the Euro weeklies have the SE US in below normal temp.'s for weeks 2, 3, and 4 due to a +PNA pattern together with an impressive -NAO/-AO. Week 2 has below normal precip. while 3 and 4 are near normal (pretty good for an often dry +PNA). So, overall this is a third in a row excellent release!

Today's weeks 2 and 3 match the prior two weeklies' weeks 3 and 4, respectively. Week 4 is a brand new week for the Euro weeklies that ends on 2/10.

Now back to my regularly scheduled walk.

Reading that thread is like trying to read something in another language.

LOL!!! I really know nothing much about it either but... 

The GWO stands for Global Wind Oscillation. The graph looks very much like a MJO graph and I'm assuming that if you can figure out what happens in each phase, you might be a meteorologist. <_<

Here is how it's read:

gwo_phase_fig4.jpg

And here is a real one

gwo_40d.gif

The GWO stands for Global Wind Oscillation. The graph looks very much like a MJO graph and I'm assuming that if you can figure out what happens in each phase, you might be a meteorologist. <_<

Here is how it's read:

And here is a real one

Good Grief at the charts! My mind went blank. I know nothing about meteorology LOL.

Here is how it's read:

gwo_phase_fig4.jpg

And here is a real one

gwo_40d.gif

Whoa...that makes my head hurt...

Seriously, I've really been curious to learn more about this over the years. 

Thanks for sharing.

Wow @276 Euro Weeklies have -20 850's coming down into NC.

Burger,

I don't know how that is from the Euro weeklies because the maps literally cover weeklong periods as opposed to being day by day. So, you have to be referring to something else although I can't figure out what is that something else. If a vendor is telling you that that is from the weeklies, something isn't making sense.

Burger,

I don't know how that is from the Euro weeklies because the maps literally cover weeklong periods as opposed to being day by day. So, you have to be referring to something else although I can't figure out what is that something else. If a vendor is telling you that that is from the weeklies, something isn't making sense.

Thinking it's the Euro Control run from AccuPro. Appreciate the Euro Weekly updates GA

the focus of this debate is a strong SE ridge, yet you cant seem to stay task here...your argument has now migrated all over the road to different points... you enjoy making up words other people do not voice in order to try and give yourself a back-handed pat on the back?

the only back-pedaling is your argument of a strong SE ridge compared to your change to just "ridging"... & the fact that a strong-SE ridge has just now been present enough to thwart any cold that could move southeast... instead of your point that it has been strong all along... it has not

yes, the 500mb vort is dampening out... I said nothing about return flow in my earlier post which you stated I denied existed around a high.... of course there will be a nice little Brier Creek flow around a high in the Gulf of Mexico... are you reading all of what I type or making up as much as possible? 

it may be time to get on your alter-ego screen name and go to work backing yourself up on this argument you have made between a strong SE ridge and basic ridging which is always present, but not strong

You have a serious maturity problem. And that's really classy to add some non-sense to your post hours later. You're a real class act. You've been reported.

Burger,

Thinking it's the Euro Control run from AccuPro. Appreciate the Euro Weekly updates GA

AccuW had a monthly run too that supposedly the weeklies are based off but they don't have the anomaly maps which is what GaWx has.

That is correct this is a control run which shows 6 hour panels. However it does line up with what you have access to for the most part. 

Don't worry, he isn't alone anymore. This may be difficult to grasp, but this is the forecasted thread. Everyone doesn't have to falsely believe a winter pattern is on the horizon.

Falsely believe? So the ensembles are wrong? The euro ensembles have been steadfast at showing a favorable pattern for the upper south. Its a much better tool than the 384 hour gfs op.

Honestly I think it's silly to argue to fervently about anything beyond day 10 because there are bigger fish to fry in the short range. Namely the amount of moisture going across the SE in the next week or so.

Something to consider is again that with all that activity even the ensembles will have difficulty seeing beyond that. It adds quite a bit of variability to the models that can lead to wild swings later on. Don't be surprised if the cold air vanishes in the long range ensembles over the next week.

Also, there is a PV swinging down after day 10, but I don't think it'll be that cold in the SE and the chance for moisture will be low where the cold air is.

But of course nobody wanted to really talk about Memphis getting snow last month, and since the rain is west of NC and isn't snow east of the apps most people won't care. I've seen more disappointments than surprises in these threads lately. We got spoiled two to three years ago.

Hmm... Looks like College of DuPage might have to add colors to their 500 mb temperature maps for the upcoming cold in Canada. ;) We still have to see how all of this evolves, but at least many of us will see more average temperatures, if not below, to end January. The jury is still out, imo, of how much below normal we could go. There's no doubt the northern tier of the country is about to go in to the freezer... But us? I'm hesitating a bit until I see WHERE the PV sets up...

post-1807-0-55293100-1357896856_thumb.jp

Euro looked juicy for next week. It's good when you're getting the Euro with so many runs in a row now seeing something in that time frame. Euro EPS control run also had the same look for NC and SC.  The CMC kind of looked like the 00z which was not good last night. Guess we'll see if the GFS will catch on to what the Euro is selling. 

Archived