joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not be too worried about that right now. This is a huge change from it's last few runs and this is not the final solution. I'm still worried about suppression.

Oh yeah, totally agree. I was just commenting on the depiction. But, you're right. The more important ideas is that the players are on the field and we'll need to watch how things trend going forward. Overall, not terrible at all.

no news here, but when that shortwave ejects... how much it shears out will be solely dependent upon the position/strength of the polar vortex and also the position of a further weakening southeast ridge (ridge is even weaker on this run compared to last)

we want that vortex in a good posotion for low-level cold in place, but any stronger and the wave will get crushed underneath the confluence... most likely a very slim chance this system will be strong enough to make much noise... we'll have to thread the needle (as usual) on the wave as it opens up and dampens out... most know the GFS does have a bias of shearing out southern stream energy too soon so no surprise the trends are toward the Euro in keeping it bundled

I know it's borderline la-la land, but the 252 and 264hr maps are downright sick with the -20C @ 5000ft showing up knocking on the door of the Carolinas as the vortex to the north rolls over on itself

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conusncep.php?run=2013011112&var=PCPPRSTMP_850mb&hour=252

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-conusncep.php?run=2013011112&var=PCPPRSTMP_850mb&hour=264

Wow indeed. What is going to drive the PV that far south? I'm only looking on ewall right now, so I can't see NH maps, but it doesn't look like the PNA/EPO ridge is super tall...is there strong blocking over the top?

Anywho....I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably just the slightest bit overdone. :)

We need the pocket of energy on the west side of the arctic high pressure to dive down and combine with the moisture in the Gulf and then BOOM!  Either way, that sure is one cold look. Typically the winter precip chances occur as the cold air relaxes a bit, though. 

I've seen the winter storms precede the cold, too. Usually, get nothing but cold and dry with this type of air mass as it is truly arctic in origin. Nothing but a cold desert up there.

Wow indeed. What is going to drive the PV that far south? I'm only looking on ewall right now, so I can't see NH maps, but it doesn't look like the PNA/EPO ridge is super tall...is there strong blocking over the top?

Anywho....I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably just the slightest bit overdone. :)

you are correct... no tall PNA ridge (still there though)... & that combos with a block over Greenland as reinforcing shots of cold rotate around the western side of the PV

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-canncep.php?run=2013011112&var=VRTHGTGRD_500mb&hour=252

I would agree... cold likely overdone, but even half that cold is a good start

I've seen the winter storms precede the cold, too. Usually, get nothing but cold and dry with this type of air mass as it is truly arctic in origin. Nothing but a cold desert up there.

Yes, you are correct. 

Having the cold air in the vicinity is a bonus and as long as its lurking, there's always a chance something will develop. 

Best answer: GFS cold bias. -19 C at 850 for KATL is within 2 of alltime coldest on record there. No reason at all to believe this. Discarding this solution.

However, this is great entertainment even if little forecast value.

you are correct... no tall PNA ridge, but that combos with a block over Greenland

http://www.instantweathermaps.com/GFS-php/showmap-canncep.php?run=2013011112&var=VRTHGTGRD_500mb&hour=252

I would agree... probably overdone, but even half that cold is a good start

Hey, at this point, I'll take half of the half along with a good fantasy-land storm or two. The encouraging thing is that we're starting to see some fairly consistent model depictions of eastern cold coming. Up till now, we've had to rely on meteorology to depict the upcoming cold potential. Now, we're starting to see it actually show up in the modeling with more regularity. The next step in the progression will be to grab a heavy coat in the morning before heading off to work. Hopefully, we can get there.

Two general questions - 1) If the cold does come as the models are suggesting, is there anything on the table that will "lock" it in for a while? LR GFS looks transient. 2) If the cold does come as the models are suggesting, realistically, how far south does it invade? Models look to push out the SE Ridge, but it seems to want to come back some after 300 hours.

Thanks for any tutorial!

today's 12z Euro quicker with the onset of the cold front next Tuesday/Wedesday compared to yesterday's 12z... also beats down the SE ridge quicker (SE ridge weaker)

it's also interesting that the SE ridge is trending weaker with every run I have seen today (even slightly weaker for this weekend)

southern stream wave isn't going to have a much of a chance overcoming this push of arctic air from crushing it... unless it holds back and waits on the second wave of cold air next week which is unlikely

post-8747-0-23256100-1357928891_thumb.jp

post-8747-0-69854700-1357928895_thumb.jp

Archived