gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January Pattern and Storm Discussion II

Cold Rain

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed.  This is why I was saying earlier for everyone not to get their panties in a wad over the terrible looks of the models three and four days ago and to ignore that threat a couple of weeks ago that everyone was so sure was going to produce for the southeast when it didn't (when you have to time a phase to get wintry weather, it rarely if ever works out...the events that are the best producers for the southeast are the GOM lows that ride up the coast and the overrunning events)...you just have to be patient to wait for the right pattern :D  I really like the looks of where this pattern is headed right now and the fact that we are heading into the climatologically best time of the year makes me all the more confident that snow is on the way for the southeast.  I haven't seen a pattern evolution like this in several years...hang on folks...its going to be a long second half of the winter...

Exactly. Comparing this to the past couple of weeks is just a false analogy. If you can't excited about this look then I don't know what else you want to see in the LR, just don't even bother with this thread since the LR is basically all it is discussing. 

It stays a little too positively tilted to really get going. Has a low popping off the NC/SC coast around hour 120 but it's weak and there isn't enough cold air anyways. Let's see if the Vodka cold comes this go round in the LR.

yea. if a piece broke off from the huge vortex and dove in on the backside, could be something. i cant take a run verbatim since models have a tendency to back off the cold as we close in.... and im not sure how accurate they are depicting how the vortex behaves and what, if any, shortwave breaks off of it.

yea. if a piece broke off from the huge vortex and dove in on the backside, could be something. i cant take a run verbatim since models have a tendency to back off the cold as we close in.... and im not sure how accurate they are depicting how the vortex behaves and what, if any, shortwave breaks off of it.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong as well, I think a big part of it as well is that energy that comes down to phase with it before it really gets rolling east. If that is a little bit late getting to the party we might be in business with a nice ULL coming across. You missed 2009 but for many that got our mouths wet over an ULL. 

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong as well, I think a big part of it as well is that energy that comes down to phase with it before it really gets rolling east. If that is a little bit late getting to the party we might be in business with a nice ULL coming across. You missed 2009 but for many that got our mouths wet over an ULL. 

yea, early on in the 72 to 84hr range the northern stream is too quick and kinda squashes the southern wave but i think if were to lag behind and phase, we look at a rainstorm? not sure... but hr 108+ looks interesting if another shortwave could dig from the N, problem is there is nothing there. im still trying to get familiar with SE winter events...deff a diff breed then the NE.

yea, early on in the 72 to 84hr range the northern stream is too quick and kinda squashes the southern wave but i think if were to lag behind and phase, we look at a rainstorm? not sure... but hr 108+ looks interesting if another shortwave could dig from the N, problem is there is nothing there. im still trying to get familiar with SE winter events...deff a diff breed then the NE.

Oh but you haven't scratched the surface yet  :).  You will become acutely familiar with phenomena such as the "Snow Triangle" and the "Upstate Rule" (Str8cashhomey is best friends with the second one).  Good to have you here btw.

I think in this instance and again someone can correct me if I am wrong, the s/w would cutoff and roll east a potent ULL. You would want to be on the NW side of the ULL as it gets some good dynamic cooling. Again check out March 2009 around here. That one was a whooper. 

To me, the look has evolved into what you would prefer to have going into February.  Most of our chances are thread the needle anyway, contingent on perfect timing.  If we can somehow establish a heavy presence of cold air, and keep an active southern stream, at some point our odds go up in favor of an actual event that isn't so reliant on impeccable timing.

I agree...these thread the needle waiting for the phase events are getting old...bring on the overrunning GOM and Miller A events baby!

To me, the look has evolved into what you would prefer to have going into February.  Most of our chances are thread the needle anyway, contingent on perfect timing.  If we can somehow establish a heavy presence of cold air, and keep an active southern stream, at some point our odds go up in favor of an actual event that isn't so reliant on impeccable timing.

Oh but you haven't scratched the surface yet  :).  You will become acutely familiar with phenomena such as the "Snow Triangle" and the "Upstate Rule" (Str8cashhomey is best friends with the second one).  Good to have you here btw.

thanks, i hope to bring the good stuff down with me....and maybe break this snow triangle in the process.

at the very least, the cold is coming with me which is a start.

will be interesting the next couple days if guidance stays on track with the coldest air on this side of the globe and if we can squeeze anything out of it.

What tickled me was that bit of light rain coming into Ala. encountering the cold air, and saying naw, let me try Fla. out :)  My guess is the models are seeing cold air, but probably not record cold, so we could get lucky and have it just cold enough in the SE to fight the waa, but not so cold it scares it away.  On the other hand, if the models are finally getting something right in the long range, then we get some polar air, and sunny cold days...which is great in lieu of precip into cold air, but just not as exciting in a sledding kind of way, lol.  I won't get excited about winter things until I see the re enforcing cold on the maps.  One cold snap won't do, won't do at all.  We need cold coming in on off and on 'til April, just to balance out the last few months...and I don't know what balances out last winter, but it needs to be better that what we've been seeing.  Wall to wall cold next winter under double moons would be a nice start!!  T

What tickled me was that bit of light rain coming into Ala. encountering the cold air, and saying naw, let me try Fla. out :)  My guess is the models are seeing cold air, but probably not record cold, so we could get lucky and have it just cold enough in the SE to fight the waa, but not so cold it scares it away.  On the other hand, if the models are finally getting something right in the long range, then we get some polar air, and sunny cold days...which is great in lieu of precip into cold air, but just not as exciting in a sledding kind of way, lol.  I won't get excited about winter things until I see the re enforcing cold on the maps.  One cold snap won't do, won't do at all.  We need cold coming in on off and on 'til April, just to balance out the last few months...and I don't know what balances out last winter, but it needs to be better that what we've been seeing.  Wall to wall cold next winter under double moons would be a nice start!!  T

I don't think there's any way this winter will end up below normal in terms of temps. We are half way through meteorological winter and we would need temps WELL below normal the next few weeks to even get back to normal for the winter.

Archived