joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19th-20 Storm Thread II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a mac... you go into system settings and then network settings. Click on the advance button and then find the DNS tab. Just make sure to write down your original DNS.

I told Ray to try using ff vs ie as ie wasn't working. Maybe that will help as it will be a virgin browser. Who knows...

If this storm verifies Sunday evening, I think everyone needs to give the GFS an award. Even though there have been runs where it flopped a little, it has this thing 4-5 days ago or longer. It took the Euro until early this morning/late last night to pick up on it. Cheers GFS, you are still my favorite.

This is silly reasoning since, using your explanation, the ECM should really "win" since it was first to even suggest this storm. Either way, no model wins. Overall they did a good job suggesting it. Even now this storm is most definitely not a definite hit.

That makes me feel better...you too?

Yeah sort of. Ensemble are always a little se of the op anyways, but the euro ensembles are a much better resolution than the gfs ensembles. Sometimes these things tick a little east after a huge correction west, but it certainly doesn't have to work that way.

Yeah sort of. Ensemble are always a little se of the op anyways, but the euro ensembles are a much better resolution than the gfs ensembles. Sometimes these things tick a little east after a huge correction west, but it certainly doesn't have to work that way.

Youd think the margin of error at this point should be 50 miles east or west.  Right now none of us can complain, looks like 12/19 but with a more expansive heavy snow shield.

The stalls east of the BM.

That about as good as it gets for eastern New England....it does almost a little loop near the BM and then slowly crawls E or ENE....most of the major monsters like Feb '78 and April '97 all did a similar move.

I think most here would love to lock in the ECMWF ensemble mean right now.

He's done that and cookies. It probably is DNS but I flushed per the Twitter last night and it still was a pita. Away from home, not a problem.

Yeah...then the DNS still has to propagate. I know it can be frustrating, but it'll be fine for everyone over the next 24-48hrs...and most of those having issues will probably be better some time today. We had to upgrade though with this storm on the horizon. We're doing fairly well right now with nearly 1000 online. People may experience an occasional slow down when a tweak is made.

That about as good as it gets for eastern New England....it does almost a little loop near the BM and then slowly crawls E or ENE....most of the major monsters like Feb '78 and April '97 all did a similar move.

No kidding. My concern is that this will be a longitude storm. I don't mind it coming near the Cape, but if it moves wnw and stalls like the op run has, then I likely flip to a cold rain with those ne winds. We'll see, I had a feeling this could happen, but sometimes they tick east during the final 72 hours. The euro took a massive leap west over the last day.

That about as good as it gets for eastern New England....it does almost a little loop near the BM and then slowly crawls E or ENE....most of the major monsters like Feb '78 and April '97 all did a similar

March 2001 loop d loop?

The Euro ensemble mean doesn't get much better for Boston for heavy snow. That would probably be a top 10 snowstorm for them if that verified.It doesn't get a lot better than that look.

Slightly OT, but you have to wonder if the NFL will take a hard look at re-scheduling the Sunday night Pats-Packers game if it appears by this time tomorrow that an epic storm is imminent. Normally I wouldn't have thought of it, but in the wake of the recent Giants-Vikings snowstorm-related travel debacle I could see the ever-image-conscious league erring on the side of caution so people don't get stranded. At least there's no inflatable dome to worry about. I personally LOVE snow games and think it would be great TV (if not in person), so I hope they end up playing in a MECS. (Of course, Belichick's Pats are 10-0 in snow games....)

No kidding. My concern is that this will be a longitude storm. I don't mind it coming near the Cape, but if it moves wnw and stalls like the op run has, then I likely flip to a cold rain with those ne winds. We'll see, I had a feeling this could happen, but sometimes they tick east during the final 72 hours. The euro took a massive leap west over the last day.

Well given the rest of the guidance and ensembles from various models...I wouldn't be shocked if the Euro over trended a bit. We've certainly seen it do that before.

But I think you are looking fairly good at the moment. The Euro ens mean is a HECS for most of the eastern 2/3rds of New England.

Archived