joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some of PennMan's cold air snuck back down the valley again. Per mesowest obs KUNV is back down to 34ºF with personal weather stations mainly in the mid-upper 30s in the State College area. Weather station in Tyrone is 38. There is some tremendous temp differences in southern Blair. Claysburg is reporting 38ºF while literally on the other side of the mountain and 10 miles away Martinsburg (KAOO) is reporting 58ºF. 

I think some of PennMan's cold air snuck back down the valley again. Per mesowest obs KUNV is back down to 34ºF with personal weather stations mainly in the mid-upper 30s in the State College area. Weather station in Tyrone is 38. There is some tremendous temp differences in southern Blair. Claysburg is reporting 38ºF while literally on the other side of the mountain and 10 miles away Martinsburg (KAOO) is reporting 58ºF. 

We've slipped back to 35.4° here. Never underestimate CAD this time of year.

EDIT: 34.6° now, just a few minutes later. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with the progged 850 winds today.  Some of the numerical guidance is showing winds approaching 80 knots over central PA today that may be able to whip that cold air out of there.  

Is that possibly why York just jumped almost 10 degrees in 10 minutes?

SPECI KTHV 301244Z AUTO 00000KT 2 1/2SM BR OVC016 08/07 A2977 RMK AO2

METAR KTHV 301253Z AUTO VRB05KT 6SM BR OVC018 13/12 A2977 RMK AO2 SLP082 T01330117

It will be interesting to see what happens with the progged 850 winds today.  Some of the numerical guidance is showing winds approaching 80 knots over central PA today that may be able to whip that cold air out of there.  

Check the previous page and my image of temps - what was up with the wildly varying temps? For example, the Walker Bldg was showing 55, we got no where near that at the Rider Bldg on the corner of Burrowes and Beaver. Our outside therm that's part of our heat/AC system never got higher than 42, in fact fell to 39 when I left at 5. The map image I posted showed wildly varying temps. Now, I see PSUHazleton posting 52 and it's 34.7 here in Port Matilda (I'm at home today).

Is that possibly why York just jumped almost 10 degrees in 10 minutes?

SPECI KTHV 301244Z AUTO 00000KT 2 1/2SM BR OVC016 08/07 A2977 RMK AO2

METAR KTHV 301253Z AUTO VRB05KT 6SM BR OVC018 13/12 A2977 RMK AO2 SLP082 T01330117

I experienced something similar, although it was more like 30 mins. 41 degrees to 50 degrees since about 8

Archived