• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

54 @ 7A!! I've been roaming through coop numbers and I can't for the life of me find any January temperatures that failed to fall lower than 52 overnight!

That's crazy stuff, man.

I experienced something similar, although it was more like 30 mins. 41 degrees to 50 degrees since about 8

Temps are crazy, never seen anything like it.

Very time sensitive: You guys all need to go to http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ and take a look at temps in the general Huntingdon, Altoona, State College, Williamsport area.

Sample: 52 at UNV, 36 at a station two miles away!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's crazy stuff, man.

Temps are crazy, never seen anything like it.

Very time sensitive: You guys all need to go to http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/ and take a look at temps in the general Huntingdon, Altoona, State College, Williamsport area.

Sample: 52 at UNV, 36 at a station two miles away!

Wild. I nearly killed myself getting from my car to my office when I got to work. The parking lot had completely refrozen overnight.

I had posted this link months ago but now that we will have some wild weather today and severe season not too far away... http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/severe.phtml

Under "Current Severe Weather" the second bullet down is "Web iembot monitor"

In there under "Available Rooms" you can find State College office and even Pittsburgh/Mount Holly/Binghamton if you wish

Finding each office will open tabs that will include in nearly real time all NWS products/reports/statements/watches/warnings/you name it

Here's one to add to the crazy temps. 

Dressed for my sunrise walk this morning at about 7:20 am going by my temp of 34.3º.  Saw that KUNV was reporting 44.6º but thought it was an anomaly since there's rarely that much of a difference, even on a night with lots of radiational cooling. I'm at around 1200' in Toftrees and the airport is 1237' (I think) and only 2.5 miles away.

So I'm pretty well dressed for a cold walk and I get about 1/2 mile into my walk and am going up my first hill when I see a solid fog bank at the top.  As soon as I walked into the fog I could feel a big difference in temp (warmer) and my glasses immediately fogged up solid. At that point, I was at about 1225'. So I'd only climbed about 25' in elevation and there was that much of a sharp temperature difference. Had to shed clothes as I finished the rest of my walk.

It was weird. Haven't experienced anything quite like that in my 13 years of taking that walk almost every day, year-round.

I had posted this link months ago but now that we will have some wild weather today and severe season not too far away... http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/severe.phtml

Under "Current Severe Weather" the second bullet down is "Web iembot monitor"

In there under "Available Rooms" you can find State College office and even Pittsburgh/Mount Holly/Binghamton if you wish

Finding each office will open tabs that will include in nearly real time all NWS products/reports/statements/watches/warnings/you name it

impressive link, thanks!

this morning i watched the locals. he spoke about how long the sun being out increasing storm potential for later. I haven't seen the sun yet. Holding steady at 44, was at 37 at 630 when i came to work!

The "hot" air is coming your way, Sauss. I'm sitting at 59.2 degrees at 11:39. Was 43 back at 9:30. That radar to the west is looking scary.

Severe TS warnings continue to progress east with that line. Wonder if it makes it to Cumberland county?

My temp now up to 63 with dew point at 62!! Just had southerly wind gust to 26mph.

Oh, this cold front is going to be a doozy. Love the temps falling through the 30's during tomorrow afternoon and maybe accumulating snow tomorrow night??

Severe TS warnings continue to progress east with that line. Wonder if it makes it to Cumberland county?

My temp now up to 63 with dew point at 62!! Just had southerly wind gust to 26mph.

Oh, this cold front is going to be a doozy. Love the temps falling through the 30's during tomorrow afternoon and maybe accumulating snow tomorrow night??

just looked at the radar, boy does that looked amped up!

mcd0099.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0099 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 1154 AM CST WED JAN 30 2013 AREAS AFFECTED...S-CNTRL/SERN PA...A LARGE PART OF VA/MD...WASHINGTON DC...PORTIONS OF ERN WV CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 20... VALID 301754Z - 301930Z THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 20 CONTINUES. SUMMARY...THE SVR THREAT IS DIMINISHING ACROSS REMAINING VALID PORTIONS OF WW20. THE SVR THREAT MAY INCREASE ACROSS PARTS OF THE AREA FROM THE SW LATER THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING. DISCUSSION...THE THREAT FOR SVR WINDS IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE SHALLOW CONVECTIVE BAND THAT ACCOMPANIES A NE/SW-ORIENTED WIND-SHIFT AXIS FROM S-CNTRL PA INTO SWRN VA CONTINUES TO DIMINISH. REGIONAL RADAR MOSAIC IMAGERY SUGGEST THAT CONVECTION IS DECREASING IN ORGANIZATION/INTENSITY AS IT CONTINUES TO OUTRUN STRONGER FORCING FOR ASCENT ACCOMPANYING A COLD FRONT LOCATED WELL TO THE W. WHILE A MARGINALLY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL CONTINUE TO BE MAINTAINED BY MODEST LOW-LEVEL THETA-E ADVECTION LEADING THE BAND...IT SHOULD NOT BE SUFFICIENT FOR ANY MORE THAN ISOLATED 35-45-KT WIND GUSTS IN THE NEAR TERM. HOWEVER...BY THIS EVENING...ONGOING STRONG TO SEVERE CONVECTION CURRENTLY CROSSING THE SRN APPALACHIANS MAY EXTEND NEWD INTO PARTS OF THE MCD AREA -- ESPECIALLY FROM S-CNTRL VA INTO SERN PA -- WHICH COULD REQUIRE WW ISSUANCE LATER THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING. ..COHEN.. 01/30/2013 ATTN...WFO...PHI...AKQ...CTP...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX... LAT...LON 37138159 37848067 38567980 39467893 40577776 40717712 40577638 40087598 39017622 37397742 36807878 36607986

Archived