joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - late January 2013

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Officially here at home now, 2.0" of light, fluffy snow on the ground.  Highly crystallized flakes due to such cold temps.  High temp today only 18.5 degrees, first sub-20 high temp this season and probably first in over two years since I know we didn't have a sub-20 high day all of last winter.

Can anyone tell me when was the last snow storm down in the lsv region that fell with temps at or below 20 degrees?  Did it happen at all during winter of '09-'10?  The last one I can remember for sure was PDII, now almost 10 years ago.

I don't have full data beyond January yet but with the data I am putting together for Harrisburg, but on January 22, 2005 the high was 18 degrees with 4" of snow melted to .21" liquid.  MDT hit 21 on Friday so it has still managed to keep highs above 20 degrees this month.

I don't have full data beyond January yet but with the data I am putting together for Harrisburg, but on January 22, 2005 the high was 18 degrees with 4" of snow melted to .21" liquid.  MDT hit 21 on Friday so it has still managed to keep highs above 20 degrees this month.

Thanks, djr!  So it's been 8 years since Harrisburg has had meaningful snowfall with temps below 20 degrees.  I knew it had to have been quite a number of years though.  It was pretty cool watching the briefly heavy snow fall Friday afternoon with my temp at 17 degrees.  Snow was super-crystallized and highly reflective.

What did MDT officially report for total snow on Friday?

Oh, yeah, my high for Friday was only 18.5 degrees.  First sub-20 high in at least 2 years.

Thanks, djr!  So it's been 8 years since Harrisburg has had meaningful snowfall with temps below 20 degrees.  I knew it had to have been quite a number of years though.  It was pretty cool watching the briefly heavy snow fall Friday afternoon with my temp at 17 degrees.  Snow was super-crystallized and highly reflective.

Oh, yeah, my high for Friday was only 18.5 degrees.  First sub-20 high in at least 2 years.

MDT reported 1.60 in. Min 18 degrees, max 21.

Thought we would be above freezing at this time, but it looks like the temperature has been flattening out the last half hour or so. The rain is coming down hard enough that a lot is running off, but there is still ice growth on the trees.

post-1406-0-59556000-1359394520_thumb.jp

Data is from Walker building

I have not looked at Dec or Feb to see if there was meaningful snowfall with high below 20 yet, but yes it has been a number of years since we have seen these cold of high temps.  MDT reported 1.6" but everyone around there reported 2" or higher... I had 2.7" melted to .12" liquid

I have not looked at Dec or Feb to see if there was meaningful snowfall with high below 20 yet, but yes it has been a number of years since we have seen these cold of high temps.  MDT reported 1.6" but everyone around there reported 2" or higher... I had 2.7" melted to .12" liquid

i'm glad i have another person close by. For along time my measurements would be off of what MDT had or others reported, like Zac in Ship, or Stephen in Carlise or north, ya know what what i mean? Now, with you up over the hill and Canderson just on the other side of the Susky, our numbers are always the same or very close. I measured 2 1/2 for Friday, but you added .2 with you being in the woods and me in town!  :snowing:

CAD at it's finest. 40s in the Laurels and low 30s east of there.

post-1507-0-05955400-1359408334_thumb.pn

Still 32 in Altoona and Tyrone (I'm in between those two places). KAOO is reporting 34ºF but the airport is about 15 miles southeast of the actual city of Altoona. The trees here look like they've picked up a little more ice in the last couple hours with the occasional light rain and foggy conditions. 

CAD at it's finest. 40s in the Laurels and low 30s east of there.

attachicon.gifScreen shot 2013-01-28 at 4.17.36 PM.png

Still 32 in Altoona and Tyrone (I'm in between those two places). KAOO is reporting 34ºF but the airport is about 15 miles southeast of the actual city of Altoona. The trees here look like they've picked up a little more ice in the last couple hours with the occasional light rain and foggy conditions. 

Talked to my mom. Said my weather station said it got up to 44. School was canceled there today. She didn't understand why. She said it cracked 33 degrees by 7:30. I understand calling a delay but then closing school seems silly.

Talked to my mom. Said my weather station said it got up to 44. School was canceled there today. She didn't understand why. She said it cracked 33 degrees by 7:30. I understand calling a delay but then closing school seems silly.

Yea they must not be taking chances or something. Bellwood closed today too, which kinda surprised me. I figured the delay was sufficient. My younger brother went to school 4 days last week (no school MLK day) and he had a 2 hour delay Tues/Wed and an early dismissal for the snow event Friday... and now a snow day today haha. Crazy. 

Archived