• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
The December 29-30 RPM Miracle--Obs Thread

moneypitmike

That was your one winter that you didnt deserve as much as you got in the past 5 years. Obviously last year tried to reverse that. Climo is harsh sometimes. I'm still waiting to get porked here for a few years in a row. We are averaging like 77" per year since 1992-1993...even including last year's sh**show.

Yeah it just kept coming. So many great memories...more of that winter, than in '95-'96. I guess those winters in the 90s will always be special after going through the agony in the 80s. However, I suppose it never felt as bad as it should have, considering I really didn't know any better. We weren't accustomed to great winters for the most part, so crappy winters just felt like te norm.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it just kept coming. So many great memories...more of that winter, than in '95-'96. I guess those winters in the 90s will always be special after going through the agony in the 80s. However, I suppose it never felt as bad as it should have, considering I really didn't know any better. We weren't accustomed to great winters for the most part, so crappy winters just felt like te norm.

What winter are you talking about? I just realized you werent talking about 2010-2011...lol.

'93-'94?

Still '10-'11 you didnt deserve 83.7"...same could be said for '93-'94, you def didn't deserve nearly 100" out of that winter, but it happened.

weenie light snow continues ..

0.8" new since 10:45 pm .. total of 9.9" so far

Congrats on beating me. I have like 9.4 right now based on extrapolating from my last measurement. Shrewsbury has gotten some small payback after the 2/24/10 event...you guys got me both on the 1/27/11 event and this one...though I did retake some glory in the 10/29/11 event.

What winter are you talking about? I just realized you werent talking about 2010-2011...lol.

'93-'94?

Still '10-'11 you didnt deserve 83.7"...same could be said for '93-'94, you def didn't deserve nearly 100" out of that winter, but it happened.

Oh yeah..'93-'94. LOL. You are right, both winters I had no business getting those totals, but it happened.

As far as the last 14 months go..I'm well aware of receiving crappy winters. Totally fine with that, but It was the way it went down..you almost couldn't script this. Hopefully tonight reverses the trend.

Oh yeah..'93-'94. LOL. You are right, both winters I had no business getting those totals, but it happened.

As far as the last 14 months go..I'm well aware of receiving crappy winters. Totally fine with that, but It was the way it went down..you almost couldn't script this. Hopefully tonight reverses the trend.

How much did you get tonight (looks like its starting to weaken there)?

I don't think anybody under 30 years old can comprehend what we went through in the late 1980s and early 1990s before Dec 1992. That was so bad...epically bad. Historically bad here and in BOS. Even using the old ORH coop before the airport was around, we never had a 4 year stretch like that.

Congrats on beating me. I have like 9.4 right now based on extrapolating from my last measurement. Shrewsbury has gotten some small payback after the 2/24/10 event...you guys got me both on the 1/27/11 event and this one...though I did retake some glory in the 10/29/11 event.

what was your total for that event? IIRC I had ~8"-9" imby even though the shrewsbury total in the PNS was 11.9" .. I think you beat mby by a solid 7"-8"

That's crazy...though see my note about 60-61 laying down 90" here.

I have never experienced a 100" winter. The most I got in Middlebury was probably around 85" in 08-09. I had ~70" here in Dobbs Ferry two years in a row, 09-10 and 10-11. I only had 57.5" in Rindge last year where I actually had a decent chance to hit the century mark, which was very disappointing. Especially when 25" of that came in October.

I sometimes think of the clipper on 1/12/1996 that brought heavy snow to the DC area and was mostly rain by us. A little different turn of events that day and we'd have broken 100" for the season. It's going to be tough to be in a position to break 100" again around here.

what was your total for that event? IIRC I had ~8"-9" imby even though the shrewsbury total in the PNS was 12.4" .. I think you beat mby by a solid 7"-8"

17.0", lol.

I remember lower down had significantly less. Downtown ORH had around 12-13". The eastern line of the banding was also right over ORH whichb contributed to the Shrewsbury relative screwjob.

There were four decent winters in the 80's in ENY... 81-82, 83-84 (super March), 86-87, 87-88.

82-83 doesn't look too bad because of the Feb. storms, but the rest of it was useless. 85-86 was ok.

There were four decent winters in the 80's in ENY... 81-82, 83-84 (super March), 86-87, 87-88.

82-83 doesn't look too bad because of the Feb. storms, but the rest of it was useless. 85-86 was ok.

Those were pretty good winters here too...but the others were so horrific. '85-'86 was much better where you are than here...we got proked horribly that winter.

How much did you get tonight (looks like its starting to weaken there)?

I don't think anybody under 30 years old can comprehend what we went through in the late 1980s and early 1990s before Dec 1992. That was so bad...epically bad. Historically bad here and in BOS. Even using the old ORH coop before the airport was around, we never had a 4 year stretch like that.

I'll have to measure soon. Should be just around 4.5" as storm total. The first 1.5-2" (not including the 1" before changeover) were so dam wet..it compacted. I have a feeling Logan will be real low since they really do not have an official observer.

I had 8.6". In the center of town I believe 11.9" for that event though.

Yeah up the hill at 700 feet I'm sure they got close to a foot of snow in that one. Shrewsbury up by the 140/290 intersection is actually a pretty good weenie spot. They got absolutely smoked in the ice storm in 2008 while both you and ma_blizzard were looking at tree tops with a quarter inch of ice.

I'll have to measure soon. Should be just around 4.5" as storm total. The first 1.5-2" (not including the 1" before changeover) were so dam wet..it compacted. I have a feeling Logan will be real low since they really do not have an official observer.

Well you wont make 6" like I was hoping, but you still got off the mat at least pretty decently.

Yeah up the hill at 700 feet I'm sure they got close to a foot of snow in that one. Shrewsbury up by the 140/290 intersection is actually a pretty good weenie spot. They got absolutely smoked in the ice storm in 2008 while both you and ma_blizzard were looking at tree tops with a quarter inch of ice.

For sure, the night of the ice storm I had no idea it was so bad so close. When I get my own place, I definitely will be in a better spot for snow.

Still some weenie light snow but I don't think it's gonna amount to much of anything here on out. 7'' on the nose and that's gonna be final.

One of my favorite storms in the past couple years. Not a huge total by any means, but hours of +SN, perfect snowgrowth, and after only expecting 2-4'' this morning, seeing 7'' was fantastic.

For sure, the night of the ice storm I had no idea it was so bad so close. When I get my own place, I definitely will be in a better spot for snow.

Yeah you and ma_blizzard need to get out of the dumps near Lake Quinsig...just too low. You still do ok with relative elevation, but you get smoked even by the center of town up at 700 feet too often.

I'm also a pretty bad representative of ORH for the southern half of the city...they are much lower...I'm up near the Holden line at over 900 feet. Its pretty far N and at high elevation, so I will often have a different world than down by Webster Square. Esp in icing events.

It was really from around winter 1988-89 to Dec. 1992 that we had almost constant futility ...with a few minor bright spots. People probably remember that period and the joy when we finally got that huge Dec. 1992 Noreaster.

Those were pretty good winters here too...but the others were so horrific. '85-'86 was much better where you are than here...we got proked horribly that winter.

Still some weenie light snow but I don't think it's gonna amount to much of anything here on out. 7'' on the nose and that's gonna be final.

One of my favorite storms in the past couple years. Not a huge total by any means, but hours of +SN, perfect snowgrowth, and after only expecting 2-4'' this morning, seeing 7'' was fantastic.

I just caught you lol

Archived